Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Greetings, enablers!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Greetings, enablers!

Old 10-02-22, 12:00 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
Lol I stand accused!

Hamstrung is right. I'm not an athletic rider, and I'm way too nervous on pretty bikes that feel a tad delicate to be able to enjoy them to their fullest.
No worries I get it, same here.

You have to have confidence in the bike, many things can get you there, tires, brakes, etc.

This is where the Kool Aid comes in, the Merz's excel here for me as they did for many others. I firmly believe I have gotten lucky with my wacky stem/bar/lever setups

that are raised up, tilted up and with the levers mounted way up on the bars. I almost never ride in the drops and this is very stable for me, I never embraced the flat back, aero, stretched out, low slung form, didn't race and my long skinny back couldn't hack it even if I had wanted to.

It dawns on me just now that my setups strongly resemble many gravel bike setups we see now that are likely for stability, the road pro's even have their levers up on the bars where they are pretty level with the top of the bars and far less drop than in the past.

I would encourage you to think "stout" frame, build, tires, wheels and all else. I really don't consider weight very much as most parts are what they are unless you're going all out weight weenie and a strong, inspiring bike for us mere mortals is not going to be that light, I believe it cannot or should not be a primary concern long term.

I also almost never ride out of the saddle so the up close and personal seated setup is key to trying to get after it, what little I can.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-02-22, 10:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Good to see you back, Matt! Maybe we can get you to come up to Portland sometime for a ride.
Old 10-02-22, 12:26 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by gugie
Good to see you back, Matt! Maybe we can get you to come up to Portland sometime for a ride.
We gotta get him a bike first, he's @ N-0.
Old 10-02-22, 01:39 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
We gotta get him a bike first, he's @ N-0.
If you only Porltandiers knew anyone who might have an excess number of bikes.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-02-22, 01:42 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Hahaha...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 10-02-22, 02:16 PM
merziac

He wants a MTB/gravel bike, lugged crown, maybe Trek, very tall order, especially in PDX now days.

I have a couple road bikes that won't fit the bill or I would have already arranged to hook him up.
Old 10-02-22, 07:44 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 50 Posts
This a wonderful invitation, and would make a great personal goal!

​​​​​​​
We gotta get him a bike
first, he's @ N-0.
Happy to report that as things tend to go, that status has pleasantly changed already!
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 10-02-22, 07:50 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Isn't Portland really just an excess of bikes?

He wants a MTB/gravel bike, lugged crown, maybe Trek, very tall order, especially in PDX now days.

I have a couple road bikes that won't fit the bill or I would have already arranged to hook him up.
So, a quick these...

Got a frame that fits that bill en route via UPS. Picked it up on the bay a couple nights ago.

Also happened upon a rider vis CL this afternoon. It's French. It's 531, and sporting some Italian bits.

n+1.5 in 48hrs

​​​​​​​The enabling here is strong!

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 10-02-22 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-02-22, 07:56 PM
merziac

This a wonderful invitation, and would make a great personal goal!

​​​​​​​Happy to report that as things tend to go, that status has pleasantly changed already!
Great news, you get what you wanted?

Going to be able to get it going soon enough?

Needless to say, you've missed a lot of fun we've been having but imagine you will be making up for lost time soon enough.

I have ratcheted up my MTB game substantially in your absence, it was always part of the plan and some of it really fell into place recently.
Old 10-02-22, 08:03 PM
merziac

So, a quick these...

Got a frame that fits that bill en route via UPS. Picked it up on the bay a couple nights ago.

Also happened upon a rider vis CL this afternoon. It's French. It's 531, and sporting some Italian bits.

n+1.5 in 48hrs

​​​​​​​The enabling here is strong!
It never hurts when one has already learned to snatch the pebble as well.
Old 10-02-22, 09:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

So, a quick these...

n+1.5 in 48hrs

The enabling here is strong!
You've been around long enough to know the rules.
Pix or it didn't happen!
Old 10-02-22, 09:23 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Matt,
You are right the enabling is strong here! Glad you are back and willing to help out from an enabler's point of view. For some strange reason C&V cannot be removed from a cyclist's blood, it must be something that we need to study in depth. I will start on a research grant on the morrow. Smiles, MH
Old 10-02-22, 09:41 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Great news, you get what you wanted?

Going to be able to get it going soon enough?

Needless to say, you've missed a lot of fun we've been having but imagine you will be making up for lost time soon enough.

I have ratcheted up my MTB game substantially in your absence, it was always part of the plan and some of it really fell into place recently.
The ebay frame seems promising & matched my basic criteria. '85 Trek 830 at 19". We'll know better after close inspection upon arrival. I've been wanting a MTB platform for a commuter/gravel build for quite some time, prior to my abandoning even.

I'm pleased to hear that you had similar aspirations and have been making good on them. I'd love to what you've been working with and enjoying.
Old 10-02-22, 10:03 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

You've been around long enough to know the rules.
Pix or it didn't happen!
​​​​​​
Of course. Rules are rules. But being a newbie I've had to wait anxiously to get my post count up to 10. I think we're there now, so let's give it a try...

I checked CL last night just before bed & saw a Peugeot that had been listed earlier in the day. It looked good. The price was below market. It was in my size range & it came with extra goodies. Because of the asking price I was sure it must had sold already & that the seller hadn't deleted the ad yet. But in the off chance that it was still available I sent a text.

Woke up this morning & sent a follow up text. I heard back from the seller by mid morning. He mentioned that a buyer was coming by to look at it around 1PM but would let me know if the sale didn't pan out. By 1:30 he contacted me a second time to let me know the buyer was a no show. We made arrangements to meet & I bought it late this afternoon.

Now I'm definitely breaking a rule here with a non-drive side pic, but here's the new ride resting against a bust stop (I didn't want to ride from the far end of Springfield to Eugene with an extra set of wheels on board). Not shown is an extra super record seat post in it's original box, Stronglight 93 crankset with drillium chainrings & two NOS NR chainrings in a Record Strada box.

It was a very lucky day!

​​​​​

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 10-02-22 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-02-22, 10:11 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Matt,
You are right the enabling is strong here! Glad you are back and willing to help out from an enabler's point of view. For some strange reason C&V cannot be removed from a cyclist's blood, it must be something that we need to study in depth. I will start on a research grant on the morrow. Smiles, MH
Mutual enabling. It's what makes the wheels go 'rounds and 'round! You're right my friend, this C&V must be a natural element to our very being. Smiles
Old 10-02-22, 10:57 PM
merziac

​​​​​​
Of course. Rules are rules. But being a newbie I've had to wait anxiously to get my post count up to 10. I think we're there now, so let's give it a try...

I checked CL last night just before bed & saw a Peugeot that had been listed earlier in the day. It looked good. The price was below market. It was in my size range & it came with extra goodies. Because of the asking price I was sure it must had sold already & that the seller hadn't deleted the ad yet. But in the off chance that it was still available I sent a text.

Woke up this morning & sent a follow up text. I heard back from the seller by mid morning. He mentioned that a buyer was coming by to look at it around 1PM but would let me know if the sale didn't pan out. By 1:30 he contacted me a second time to let me know the buyer was a no show. We made arrangements to meet & I bought it late this afternoon.

Now I'm definitely breaking a rule here with a non-drive side pic, but here's the new ride resting against a bust stop (I didn't want to ride from the far end of Springfield to Eugene with an extra set of wheels on board). Not shown is an extra super record seat post in it's original box, Stronglight 93 crankset with drillium chainrings & two NOS NR chainrings in a Record Strada box.

It was a very lucky day!​​​​​
H**Y CRAP!

Nice score, Silca, Concor, good? rough duty tires, and all the rest, very strong work.

Like I said, snatch the pebble.
Old 10-02-22, 11:14 PM
Reco Very
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Glad to see you back, but to bad about screen name. Now you need 150 posts so you can get back into the Bo'c game. We've missed you.
Old 10-02-22, 11:24 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

H**Y CRAP!

Nice score, Silca, Concor, good? rough duty tires, and all the rest, very strong work.

Like I said, snatch the pebble.
Unopened box of Cinelli cork tape too. This is the third time I've been fortunate enough to run into such a deal. But its the first time that I wound up with a frame that fits me. I didn't bother to informt the seller that he was giving this stuff away. But I didnt bother him by trying to haggle a few bucks either. Just gave him what he was asking, which was still a couple days worth of wages.

Took it out for a short spin to get dinner this evening. My first time rolling on pavement since selling the 'Traut so many months ago. It felt like a the freedom I've been missing for so long. It felt amazing!
Old 10-02-22, 11:27 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by Reco Very
Glad to see you back, but to bad about screen name. Now you need 150 posts so you can get back into the Bo'c game. We've missed you.
Same. Missed you all too. Bo'c is always worth waiting patiently for!
Old 10-03-22, 02:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

oh, no.
Old 10-04-22, 09:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Same. Missed you all too. Bo'c is always worth waiting patiently for!
As a recidivist, I'm wondering if @Mad Honk could give special dispensation.
Old 10-05-22, 09:04 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I can't honestly say I remember you well, but that "old" username rings a bell, in the back of my noggin. 🤔

Doesn't matter, we're all like brothers & sisters here, or at least cousins. 😁😉

Welcome back, Kotter, or whoever you are. 😁
Old 10-05-22, 09:47 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
As a recidivist, I'm wondering if @Mad Honk could give special dispensation.
gugie,
It has already been done! See the BOC thread. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 10-05-22, 10:06 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
gugie,