Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shout Out to a LBS

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shout Out to a LBS

Old 01-06-23, 12:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Shout Out to a LBS

Care to share an amazing experience with your LBS?

Had a chain keeper added by a local bike shop which specializes in MTBs, but a bike is a bike, right? Actually, no. They messed up the front Ultegra mech doing the install and I heard nothing but grinding no matter the gear. I tried every adjustment I could think of to correct it, but no luck - even with the aid of several videos. So rather than going back, I went to Element Cycles in Redmond. Wa which specializes in European rides and servicing. They had a repair stand free and asked if I had 5 minutes. I was expecting that I wouldn’t see the bike for a couple of weeks. They took the bike back and invited me back to see the procedure when they found ‘the hidden’ adjustment screw was completely dialed out, so no amount of using the usual screws would have done anything. They then talked me through the adjustment process and had it completely dialed. Then they spent 10 minutes truing my front rotor/disc. Then they test rode and told me if there were any issues to come back and they would make it right. Everyone in the shop was super friendly, knowledgeable, willing to help and even recommended a product they don’t carry. Wonderful experience all around. Gave them a 5 star Yelp review.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-06-23 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 04:50 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The benefits of having a good LBS and mechanic, that you trust, cannot be overstated. I have a great relationship with mine, and occasionally stop in with a treat for them, or just to see if there is anything I want to buy. Numerous times they have comp'd a small part , or took care of some kind of mechanical issue with no charge. I never expect anything gratis, and much appreciative if that happens. There have been a few times that I insisted on paying when they said no charge, albeit a discounted price. We both come out ahead on that. A shout out to Bicycle Connection in Bethany Beach, DE.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-06-23, 07:37 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Curious how a "front disk" is trued.
Glad they sorted out your problem.
Old 01-06-23, 07:46 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
My LBS helps me huge, time and time again. Even before I bought a bike from them. When I was newb, and couldn’t trust myself with most simplistic maintenance, I started to bring my bike to them pretty often. Always treated me with respect, even though I was a fred, and most of the time didn’t even charge me.

Years have gone by, and I have since bought 4 bikes from them. Service is always exceptional. Price has always been fair or in some cases I feel like I should pay them more. I ride with the manager pretty often, and have gotten to know everyone that works there.

I am probably in the shop 2-3 times a week, either to say hello or look at stuff or ask questions. Once I get my work schedule more consistent I plan working there. Manager is cool with it and my wife thinks I should get paid with all the time that I am there.
Old 01-06-23, 08:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Care to share an amazing experience with your LBS?Had a chain keeper added by a local bike shop which specializes in MTBs, but a bike is a bike, right? Actually, no. They messed up the front Ultegra mech doing the install and I heard nothing but grinding no matter the gear. I tried every adjustment I could think of to correct it, but no luck - even with the aid of several videos. So rather than going back, I went to Element Cycles in Redmond. Wa which specializes in European rides and servicing. They had a repair stand free and asked if I had 5 minutes. I was expecting that I wouldn’t see the bike for a couple of weeks. They took the bike back and invited me back to see the procedure when they found ‘the hidden’ adjustment screw was completely dialed out, so no amount of using the usual screws would have done anything. They then talked me through the adjustment process and had it completely dialed. Then they spent 10 minutes truing my front disc. Then they test rode and told me if there were any issues to come back and they would make it right. Everyone in the shop was super friendly, knowledgeable, willing to help and even recommended a product they don’t carry. Wonderful experience all around. Gave them a 5 star Yelp review.
watching a skilled & experienced bike mechanic, at work, is pure joy
Old 01-06-23, 08:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
well the mount can move left-right & the thing that pushes the disk on one side, has an adjustment. maybe "trued" isn't the exact right word ...
Old 01-06-23, 11:50 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
There are various tools for just that purpose. Here is a video from Park Tool on how to do it:
Your local bike shop can help out with that though some rotors won't be fully straightened and you might just need a new rotor.
Old 01-06-23, 01:28 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
There are various tools for just that purpose. Here is a video from Park Tool on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0c2...annel=ParkTool
Your local bike shop can help out with that though some rotors won't be fully straightened and you might just need a new rotor.
Yeah as I thought...it's a "rotor" not a disk
Old 01-06-23, 03:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Next visit to the shop, I’m taking them a pizza.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-06-23, 04:15 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Rock on Wheels in Cheyenne is a fantastic shop. My first experience was them correcting a messed up tune from another shop. I've been a loyal customer ever since.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-06-23, 07:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I do that from time to time.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-06-23, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Disc Brake Rotor if you want to go for the whole shebang.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 02:33 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thank goodness that was clarified. I had no idea what in the world a disc brake disc is that was trued. Could he mean the caliper? the hose? the lever? Confusing. But, being part of the esteemed cognoscenti, I had an idea he was referring to the rotor because, after all, as the WWW explains if you look up disc brakes:

To summarize:
  • DISC brake systems have discs or rotors, pads, and calipers.
And more:

ped·ant·ry
[ˈped(ə)ntrē]

NOUN
  1. excessive concern with minor details and rules

Last edited by Camilo; 01-07-23 at 02:44 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-07-23, 07:03 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Isn't a rotor a kind of disc? Just about everybody here knows we're not talking about a CD or a computer hard drive.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-07-23, 09:46 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Isn't a rotor a kind of disc? Just about everybody here knows we're not talking about a CD or a computer hard drive.
I got it the first time, but I have to translate customer's requests into a coherent work order, so.....
Old 01-07-23, 12:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
My favorite LBS became a Trek store but they still work on my non-Trek bikes. I don't get the vibe that beer would be welcome, so maybe I should just bring donuts next time I need something fixed.
Old 01-07-23, 05:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
The benefits of having a good LBS and mechanic, that you trust, cannot be overstated. I have a great relationship with mine, and occasionally stop in with a treat for them, or just to see if there is anything I want to buy. Numerous times they have comp'd a small part , or took care of some kind of mechanical issue with no charge. I never expect anything gratis, and much appreciative if that happens. There have been a few times that I insisted on paying when they said no charge, albeit a discounted price. We both come out ahead on that. A shout out to Bicycle Connection in Bethany Beach, DE.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My favorite LBS became a Trek store but they still work on my non-Trek bikes. I don't get the vibe that beer would be welcome, so maybe I should just bring donuts next time I need something fixed.
I don't get this thing batted around the internet forums of bringing beer or a pizza to a business. I've never heard of this locally and it would never cross my mind or the minds of anyone I know. I do try to insist on paying something if they do a little tweak as I'm waiting if they say "no charge", but don't feel horrible if they dont accept it. I just make a point of buying something in their shop from time to time that I could find on the internet easier.

Why not just be a loyal customer, pay for the work they do for you, just like you do for any other business? Maybe a lunch time pizza or some treats - or a cash tip - at Christmas or such.

But this is how to treat a great shop and is what they want:

Originally Posted by Inusuit
Rock on Wheels in Cheyenne is a fantastic shop. My first experience was them correcting a messed up tune from another shop. I've been a loyal customer ever since.
Old 01-07-23, 06:31 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I just make a point of buying something in their shop from time to time that I could find on the internet easier.

Why not just be a loyal customer, pay for the work they do for you, just like you do for any other business? Maybe a lunch time pizza or some treats - or a cash tip - at Christmas or such.
If the person you're dealing with is the owner, then sure - a purchase is probably most meaningful/valuable. But if the person making the difference to you is an hourly employee, beer or pizza means a lot more than just another purchase.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 01-07-23, 06:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Camilo
I don't get this thing batted around the internet forums of bringing beer or a pizza to a business. I've never heard of this locally and it would never cross my mind or the minds of anyone I know. I do try to insist on paying something if they do a little tweak as I'm waiting if they say "no charge", but don't feel horrible if they dont accept it. I just make a point of buying something in their shop from time to time that I could find on the internet easier.

But this is how to treat a great shop and is what they want:
Well since you asked. They gave me a half hour of free labor and advice. I insisted on paying them but they would not accept it. Besides, the employees are not wealthy and probably make minimum wage. I can afford it and rewarding generosity with a token of appreciation is the least I can do, You do you and I will do me. No judgement. We all do what works best for ourselves.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-07-23, 06:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Well since you asked. They gave me a half hour of free labor and advice. I insisted on paying them but they would not accept it. Besides, the employees are not wealthy and probably make minimum wage. I can afford it and rewarding generosity with a token of appreciation is the least I can do, You do you and I will do me. No judgement. We all do what works best for ourselves.
I don't think I know my LBS or anyone working there well enough to just bust open a 6 or 12 pack without getting someone in trouble.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-07-23, 06:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I don't think I know my LBS or anyone working there well enough to just bust open a 6 or 12 pack without getting someone in trouble.
That’s why a pizza is safe, half vegetarian and half pepperoni. Or if you bring beer, just say it’s for quitting time.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-07-23, 07:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by retswerb
If the person you're dealing with is the owner, then sure - a purchase is probably most meaningful/valuable. But if the person making the difference to you is an hourly employee, beer or pizza means a lot more than just another purchase.
Exactly this.
Old 01-09-23, 12:25 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Exactly this.
Or, I just take some bottled cold brew coffee...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 01-09-23, 02:21 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
My favorite LBS is also Trek factory. They’ve always been great, have bailed me out a number of times and have not changed a bit since being purchased other than selling only one brand of bike.

They’re also always at the local brewery…
Likes For phrantic09: