Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1.13.23 Is it time to buy a bike... or keep waiting?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1.13.23 Is it time to buy a bike... or keep waiting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 10:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - our family needs 2 used cars. been watching prices fall. every week / month is better & better. not sure how long we can wait but the 2 cars that will be replaced are hanging in there ... so there's no emergency but we are on ticking clocks
Old 01-18-23, 10:34 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I wonder if Scott specs the 42cm bar because that racer thing - narrower bars, flared shifters trend. Who knows. And yeah, I like the Schwalbes - they're going on a bike that gets ridden less often. I also the like the TLEs. I've got those on the bike this one is replacing.
Old 01-18-23, 10:56 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I wonder if Scott specs the 42cm bar because that racer thing - narrower bars, flared shifters trend. Who knows. And yeah, I like the Schwalbes - they're going on a bike that gets ridden less often. I also the like the TLEs. I've got those on the bike this one is replacing.
Narrower bars are trendy, just like wide tires, that's for sure. Not a fan of the flared shifters though.
Old 01-18-23, 11:06 AM
Zaskar

I debated the 42cm bar - the trend. But no. It's already leaning toward the aggressive side. But my current Scott is too. And, I LOVE that bike. it's very (!) comfortable, even on 75+ mile rides. As much saddle:bar drop as I've got, it feels neutral.

The new Scott is supposed to be a touch more relaxed, more comfortable. So, that and 44cm bars it is.

Last edited by Zaskar; 01-18-23 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-18-23, 02:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
That's weird indeed. 58cms usually come with 44mms and 54-56 with 42mms.
Really? My two most recent bike purchases were 56's with 44mm bars.
Old 01-18-23, 02:53 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
My 56 came with 42s but I ordered some 46s (that measure 45 at the hood centers) and those will be a lot comfier. I usually do 44s but have recently started to really like 46s, though 45s are just as comfy, it seems.
Old 01-19-23, 02:23 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba
I own a large shop. Road bike inventory is going to be significantly, *significantly* better this year, to the point where special orders will become feasible again, rather than being stuck with what's already on the sales floor.

I always tell our community: Spring, summer fall are the best times to ride a bike; winter is the best time to buy a bike.
I hope you are right. I live in Western Michigan, and road bikes are basically non-existent in the local shops. There is old inventory that has been setting for a year or more, but very little, to no new inventory in most brands. I'm interested in a new road bike with the new Shimano 105 Di2 group set. There is nothing to be had in West Michigan that is "in stock".
Old 01-20-23, 08:22 AM
Zaskar

Finally got to ride the bike! It had been sitting in the garage since Monday, waiting for the roads to dry. Few first impressions:
- Di2 really is pretty great. I've got it set on the mid-level auto-shifting and I like it, but may play around with that, e.g. one vs two rear shifts
- The 42cm does feel small - all just what we get used to
- The spacers do have to go - but that was the plan from the beginning
- The (cheap) tan saddle looks neat but has to go - also part of the plan

My previous bike has a 71 degree head tube angle; the new bike is 73. I think I feel it... I think. Until the bar (width) and stem (height) are sorted out, I'm not going pay much attention to that... if I can.

Overall, LOVING the ride.
Old 01-20-23, 08:34 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I debated the 42cm bar - the trend. But no. It's already leaning toward the aggressive side. But my current Scott is too. And, I LOVE that bike. it's very (!) comfortable, even on 75+ mile rides. As much saddle:bar drop as I've got, it feels neutral.

The new Scott is supposed to be a touch more relaxed, more comfortable. So, that and 44cm bars it is.
More relaxed? With that big a drop between saddle and bar height, you are either very flexible or have really long arms. I don't think I could even ride that.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-20-23, 08:43 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by bblair
More relaxed? With that big a drop between saddle and bar height, you are either very flexible or have really long arms. I don't think I could even ride that.
Maybe a bit of both? I do have long arms. That's fortunate, because I have ridiculously long legs for my height. I'm not quite 6'1" and my inseam (socks, level, tape measure) is 36.5". Yeah. I know.

My personal geometry is a candidate for a custom frameset. My wallet is not.
Old 01-20-23, 03:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
It's painful just to look at it.
Likes For Lombard: