Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking under load - where to check first?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 07:24 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

The bike is a Trek Domane SL5 with about 900 miles on it (carbon frame, and the new T47 threaded BB). When I upshift and really start cranking on the pedals, I hear a creaking noise with each pedal stroke. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from; are there any obvious things to check first?
Old 09-08-20, 07:56 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Check the thru axles first. If they're not tight or bone dry, they'll creak. Sounds just like the BB creaking under load. The second place is the seat mast to frame and seat mast to saddle rail interface. Check for proper torque, lack of grease on bolts, lack of carbon paste between carbon parts, Etc. Third would be the Iso speed decoupler in the headset. That may be something to let a Trek dealer check out as it is a little more complex and the possibility of damaging the frame is there if you're unsure of how it works. From what I've experienced, these are the easiest to fix yet most common noise makers on newer Trek drop bar bikes.
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 09-08-20, 08:03 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Check the thru axles first. If they're not tight or bone dry, they'll creak. Sounds just like the BB creaking under load. The second place is the seat mast to frame and seat mast to saddle rail interface. Check for proper torque, lack of grease on bolts, lack of carbon paste between carbon parts, Etc. Third would be the Iso speed decoupler in the headset. That may be something to let a Trek dealer check out as it is a little more complex and the possibility of damaging the frame is there if you're unsure of how it works. From what I've experienced, these are the easiest to fix yet most common noise makers on newer Trek drop bar bikes.
Thanks so much - I'll be able to check all of that before tomorrow's ride (although I will avoid the IsoSpeed due to my inexperience), so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-08-20, 08:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
My suggestions are more system non specific. Follow the load paths. Pedals, crank arms, rings/BB (split paths). Bars, stem, steerer, headset. Saddle, post, frame clamps. The the secondary paths- cassettes, chains, wheels/spokes. Andy
Old 09-08-20, 08:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Thru axles. Derailleur hanger screws. Grease between hanger/frame. Cassette locking. Stem and handle bar screws. The headset in Iso Speed frames is the only one on the planet that actually needs to be tightened to a specific torque value...4Nm. The expander in the steerer tube also needs to be pretty tight.

Is the noise happening while seated or standing? Or both? Make sure the pedal axles are greased and tight. What kind of pedals? Some make more noise than others. Not crazy tight, but tight. Your frame has a T47 threaded bottom braket, it might not have been installed correctly. Lots of things can make noise.
Old 09-09-20, 08:26 AM
ScottRiqui

A quick update - I was running late this morning so only had time to check a few things. But after greasing the axles and re-torquing the headset, the creak was totally absent on today's ride, even with me trying to make it happen. I'll run through the rest of the suggestions this weekend as preventative measures.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 09-10-20, 04:00 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Also check the rear hub. I had an annoying creak for weeks until I lubed up my rear hub. I sounded like the bottom bracket but wasn’t.
Old 09-11-20, 05:40 AM
jt777

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And any attachments....like a rack.
Old 09-11-20, 02:39 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Happened to me too and it turns out that one of my chain ring bolts was loose. Tightened it up and all was fine. But it loosened up after a while again. Should have used Lock-Tite the first time...
Old 09-11-20, 02:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Also check the rear hub. I had an annoying creak for weeks until I lubed up my rear hub. I sounded like the bottom bracket but wasn’t.
So ya lubed it up? What kind of hub? What is involved in 'lubing it up'?
Old 09-12-20, 04:12 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
So ya lubed it up? What kind of hub? What is involved in 'lubing it up'?
Chris King R45 hub, I lubed the internals per the service manual. However I think the sound was coming from the NDS axle endcap area. The sound returned after a few hundred miles so I think I am going to put Phil Wood grease on the threads. 😩