Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SA three-speed with brake question.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 06:39 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts

Will a standard AW set of internals fit in the three-speed-with-brake AB hub?

(asking for a friend...)
Old 06-16-22, 07:29 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Will a standard AW set of internals fit in the three-speed-with-brake AB hub?

(asking for a friend...)
Well, it looks like it should fit. A quick perusal of the diagrams show many parts in common. That said, I've never seen an AB in the flesh so I don't know.

ETA: Per Sheldon Brown:
The AW's internals will fit into many Sturmey-Archer hub shells of the same era, making it possible to keep a wheel in service. One exception is that the left ball cup of many if not all four- and five-speed hubs lacks an inner flange to center the planet cage. Sturmey-Archer historian Tony Hadland reports that 1984- and later steel AW shells will not accept S5 internals. Coaster-brake and drum-brake shells will not fit the AW.
So that's a no, but many of the parts are common, so you may be able to make some of it work.

Last edited by gna; 06-16-22 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 08:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
AB-hubs are extremely common here in the Netherlands. You can practically get them for free laced into a wheel.
Last time I opened one up it looked very similar and might even be a direct swap.

That's the AB model though. I kind of want to get my hands on the AWC coaster brake model.