Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used bike advice: 22 Felt AR vs 21 BMC teammachine SLR01

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-20-22, 03:14 PM
KamdarDDS

Bikes: 2013 Felt F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, looking for an upgrade to my bike but don’t want to break the bank. There’s 2 used bikes for sale and I need some advice please.
Bike #1 2022 Felt AR Advanced Carbon Road Bike w/ Shimano Ultegra Di2 - upgrades include ceramic hub, carbon bar, ceramic speed bottom bracket
$5300
vs.
Bike #2 2021BMC Teammachine SLR ONE, Upgrades include zipp firecrest wheels and power meter.
$4500

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes so all I can find are articles on each bike, but nothing to compare the 2, or real person experiences. Any help would be appreciated in helping me chose the better bike/deal.
Old 09-20-22, 04:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
If you are a total newbie when it comes to bikes, then I'd suggest you get something much less expensive and ride it for several thousand miles and get some more experience so you'll know what your next bike should be without having to ask others.

Otherwise they are both very nice bikes. They have a moderately aggressive fit, so if you are one that doesn't like to be leaning forward and aero, then there are other road bikes you should consider with a more relaxed geometry.

Do you know that they are the proper size to fit you correctly? Which one calls to you more? Color is a more than acceptable reason to buy one over the other!

Welcome to BF!
Old 09-20-22, 05:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
The blue one.
Old 09-20-22, 06:21 PM
KamdarDDS

Bikes: 2013 Felt F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Color… lol
I appreciate the advice and get what you are saying
Old 09-20-22, 06:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by KamdarDDS
Color… lol
I appreciate the advice and get what you are saying
Some people are all in favor of buying used bikes and you may get a great deal, but you usually don't get any warranty or service from a shop. This may or may not matter to you.
A bf member bought a used Trek and the frame cracked and Trek wouldn't help.

My main road bike was purchased used and I had to make a lot of changes to make it work, but it has been pretty good. That said, if I was spending upwards of 5 grand, I would definitely go new.

Last edited by big john; 09-20-22 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 03:00 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by KamdarDDS
Hello, looking for an upgrade to my bike but don’t want to break the bank. There’s 2 used bikes for sale and I need some advice please.
Bike #1 2022 Felt AR Advanced Carbon Road Bike w/ Shimano Ultegra Di2 - upgrades include ceramic hub, carbon bar, ceramic speed bottom bracket
$5300
vs.
Bike #2 2021BMC Teammachine SLR ONE, Upgrades include zipp firecrest wheels and power meter.
$4500

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes so all I can find are articles on each bike, but nothing to compare the 2, or real person experiences. Any help would be appreciated in helping me chose the better bike/deal.
At those prices, I'd just get a new bike. The BMC Roadmachine Three is around $5,300 brand new and is probably a lot better for newbies than the TeamMachine.