Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nonago from a (faux?) Gios?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 06:05 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts

I'm eyeballing with a fake Colnago which has drilled droupouts á La Gios (I must admit, they look crooked compared to other legit ones I have checked, but maybe my brain just doesn't want to believe it is real), GIOS lookalike seat stay caps, GIOS cast in the bb shell, Gios-looking BB-down tube lug, BUT...
- internal top tube cables, which look wrong (in 84' they ntroduced the plastic caps, and on modern ones one outlet points upwards, the other downwards if I saw it properly)
- no panto in seat stay cap (again since 84 those should be all over)
- fork is a definitely no-no, but that can be because it is a NoNago after all..

I'm asking the smarter than me, what do you think.... GIOS or not? I have no access to the bike, can't check for rifled tubes or measure anything, and don't want to ask a word beside he's willing to ship or not...

Thanks in advance for any constructive insights.

Lattz
Old 09-27-22, 06:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Looks like a legit Gios - perhaps a Professional, which had the rubber caps at either end of the internally-routed brake cable. Could be somebody did some brazing of those two metal bits when the frame got repainted. And, it probably got repainted due to the crash that took out the original fork.

IOW, frame is legit, with later metal/paint work. Fork is not.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-27-22, 07:30 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Thanks Drillium Dude first I also thought its the "plastic cap" Professsional but those seemingly all have GIOS in the seat stay caps. Whereas earlier than those models feature external cabling and no FD hanger. I it had an external cabling and someone converted it to be internal it would be no nonsense to convert back plus then it would need the coined fork which fly around for the price of a decent bike. I guess I'm going to sleep one or two on this. I was hoping someone ends my torture by quickly buying it but no one bats an eye.

Lattz
Old 09-27-22, 07:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Fork is probably Tange. Check frame for any evidence of a previous front-ender.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-22, 08:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Lattz Looks like a Gios "frame" to me too....BB as well as the seat stays seem correct, but the rest is not. So for me it is a frame with parts to sell in order to hang the correct group on it......Can you get it at a good price?
Good Luck, Ben

the frame in question is newer, it has internal routing for the cables.

see any similarities

Same here

Look familiar?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ave-i-got.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...real-fake.html

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-27-22 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-28-22, 09:07 AM
Lattz

Thanks for the comments, I guess,if it is original, it is a later (80-81) example from the older "Super Record" model line with the internal cable "feature" added later rather than a "Professional" since those should have pantographed seat stay caps as well (and most possibly lugs also). This idea is also backed by the separate chainstay bridge which is part of the BB cast on Professionals. One notable thing is on the first pic from xiaoman1 these kind of "crossed tubes" brake bridges (also on the one in question) are rarely seen, but exist(!) usually the rounded cube (like a roll die) ones are more common.
For EUR250 with most parts to be changed I can't call it a cheap one, considering I would end up with a frame without fork, and the forks are terrorist expensive for these. But I guess asking the guy if he is willing to ship it does not hurt, I can still say yes and no based on his answer. I knew about 2 legit Professionals both with Campy (one is period correct SR, the other is 1st gen. Chorus) for ~500 +shipping (if seller would ship) but those are out of my reach now. Super Records usually fly here in the ~1300ish range, so it is mostly a now or never thing, even if I'm not convinced I want to get into the hassle of finding a frame builder covering the holes, and sew up a few cable guides, then seek endlessly for a fork, so let's see what life brings
Thanks again!

Lattz