Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dual suspension commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dual suspension commuter?

Old 07-22-22, 08:36 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
The sensor loops require you to be right on them to disrupt the field. especially on the outside lines. That only works well IF you have alloy rims or frame. When I'm riding my all carbon road bike, there's not much metal to trigger the loop. So I either treat it as a 4 way stop, OR hit the pedestrian light and get back on the road. when safe. And even then, I'd just wait for the car to cross first if I can't see where their eyes are.
Like I said, there are errant drivers who don't pay attention and create hell for everyone on the road. There's a reason why CA and FL have some of the highest bicycle hit rates.

Did you see that Lefty on the Ti by Hilite? It's quite a nice bike, but I'd change the wheels to shallower rims, and seatpost and handlebar to carbon. I've been running the Schwalbe Almotion as my touring tires for years too. Especially like the OneStar compound ones. Don't like the Addix versions, which are slower and rides harder. Unfortunately, I stocked up once I saw Schwalbe changed the compounds.

Originally Posted by acroy
I hear and agree with much of what you say, with a couple caveats:
- If I had taken the lane to be where the driver expected to see cars, I would not have gotten a green light at all. That's how this intersection works, it's on sensors. It does not sense my bike. She would have gotten a protected green arrow, my light would stay red. When there is a car in this lane, I get behind it and follow it through. When no cars (as in this instance) I have to trigger the walk light or I get no light

- It's clear you're very thoughtful and let's acknowledge it, folks active on this forum are very engaged & thoughtful road users. I think we assume other users are similarly thoughtful and give drivers too much credit. I think the majority of drivers are completely and utterly thoughtless, just zoned out; that's sure how they drive. So I've calibrated my riding style such that, as much as possible, a zoned out driver never has the opportunity to hit me. Car drivers naturally zone out non-car-shaped objects. In other environments, ie when I visit my pal in Seattle, drivers are much more aware of peds/cyclists etc, as there are a lot of them. They are uncommon here and thus easy for the mostly-disengaged brain to completely ignore. "I never saw him" I have her saying on audio.

Nice options there - good to see Ti has believers, I've always loved the material. The amazing ride of steel coupled with zero corrosion. This bike was supposed to be my 'last' bike.... ah well. Similar boat here, willing to pay the $$ and want the details I want.
Old 07-22-22, 08:56 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
The sensor loops require you to be right on them to disrupt the field. especially on the outside lines. That only works well IF you have alloy rims or frame. When I'm riding my all carbon road bike, there's not much metal to trigger the loop. So I either treat it as a 4 way stop, OR hit the pedestrian light and get back on the road. when safe. And even then, I'd just wait for the car to cross first if I can't see where their eyes are.
Like I said, there are errant drivers who don't pay attention and create hell for everyone on the road. There's a reason why CA and FL have some of the highest bicycle hit rates.

Did you see that Lefty on the Ti by Hilite? It's quite a nice bike, but I'd change the wheels to shallower rims, and seatpost and handlebar to carbon. I've been running the Schwalbe Almotion as my touring tires for years too. Especially like the OneStar compound ones. Don't like the Addix versions, which are slower and rides harder. Unfortunately, I stocked up once I saw Schwalbe changed the compounds.
non-ferrous frames don't trigger well. I have limited success triggering loops if stopped just so on a corner, I assume enough ferrous material in the chain/cables etc to disrupt the loop. My steel road bike has no problem triggering
anyway....
Yes I did see the Lefty on the Hilite, that is sweet. I've been intrigued by the Lefty since it came out; a lot of positives to that design, especially stiffness which should be very noticeable in a road-ridden bike. Didn't know about Schwalbe compound change - might have to find a backup set.
Old 07-22-22, 09:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
From reading MTBR it seems like nearly any other fork is easier to own than a Lefty. If I want to get in a small pool of users I'd really prefer to give money to Cane Creek, DVO, MRP, Manitou, just to name a few. If not I'd stick with RS and Fox
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-22-22 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-25-22, 02:32 AM
Sardines

Well, FWIW, from what I remember of my rides with Lefties, I liked the Hilite version. The Lefty is nice and stiff when riding on smooth road, and takes the rough stuff as well as any other double shocked suspension like Fox or Ohlins. Now I haven't lived with one long term, so I don't know what it's like for maintenance, but knowing Cannondale, it's probably harder to get serviced than conventional forks.
Old 07-25-22, 08:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

It's not about the basic idea of the Lefty, which seems fine to me. The problem reported by the MTBR people, including the Lefty's most long-running advocates, has been that forks from the last decade since the boot was deleted have a problem eating their lowers, and need frequent (100h) oil changes to prevent it. At the same time Cannondale has stopped selling service parts and tools and have made themselves the only place to get repairs and more than basic service.
Old 07-26-22, 03:12 PM
Sardines

Well as manufacturers move to proprietary accessories to lock consumers to their brand, we will have more Cannondale Lefty type service issues. One of the reasons I went custom to build the bike I want, instead of buying the bikes someone thinks I should have.
Old 07-28-22, 02:04 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I don't get the point of picking something so heavy for a commuter. There are plenty of ways to put fat tires on a bike and make it plenty comfortable.
Old 07-28-22, 03:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Meanwhile on BedForums: A mattress with stuffing and springs is more expensive than an air mattress, but you could let some air out of the air mattress.
Old 07-30-22, 04:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I think you guys aren't taking into consideration that truly heinous intersection. Even taking the GoPro effect into account, it's huge, with no accommodation for pedestrians beyond some paint. It needs pedestrian refuges, with beg buttons, at the very least, and no left turn when the crossing button has been pressed. I don't know what murderous psychopath thought allowing left turns into an active crosswalk was a good idea, but we have it here too, and that SOB should be convicted.

EDIT: OP, ride the bike you like. If you want full squish, go for it; whatever makes your commute worthwhile. Just make sure to show us some pics when you get it!
Old 07-30-22, 04:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Pretty sure that's a "left turn yield on green" sign up there which is a band-aid from the responsible agency that says "we know we should bring this up to code someday, but it's a bigger project for right here than we care to bother with now"

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-30-22 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 07:13 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
following up!
I got a used C-dale Scalpel and have tried it our commuting. because why the hell not, I wanted to scratch that itch. Fenders, lights, 2" Schwalbe slicks.

It took some dialing in; the squish is amazing. An issue is I run out of gear: 34x10 tooth is all it's got and can't go any bigger than 36t without jacking up the suspension geometry according to C-dale.

Well, FWIW, from what I remember of my rides with Lefties, I liked the Hilite version. The Lefty is nice and stiff when riding on smooth road, and takes the rough stuff as well as any other double shocked suspension like Fox or Ohlins. Now I haven't lived with one long term, so I don't know what it's like for maintenance, but knowing Cannondale, it's probably harder to get serviced than conventional forks.
it has been great. Running only about 20% sag, would be too firm offroad, but great for the sharp impacts of broken pavement on the street. Running a lot of damping so it's not pumping as I pedal. It feels very efficient.

BTW this bike is fast - it spools up quick. I assume largely due to the super light wheels.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's not about the basic idea of the Lefty, which seems fine to me. The problem reported by the MTBR people, including the Lefty's most long-running advocates, has been that forks from the last decade since the boot was deleted have a problem eating their lowers, and need frequent (100h) oil changes to prevent it. At the same time Cannondale has stopped selling service parts and tools and have made themselves the only place to get repairs and more than basic service.
yes I have concerns on that. I modified a Lizard Skin to serve as a boot and hope that'll help.

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I don't get the point of picking something so heavy for a commuter. There are plenty of ways to put fat tires on a bike and make it plenty comfortable.
Me+pack weigh close to 10x the bike. A few lbs on the bike is a rounding error.

Meanwhile on BedForums: A mattress with stuffing and springs is more expensive than an air mattress, but you could let some air out of the air mattress.

Originally Posted by Korina
I think you guys aren't taking into consideration that truly heinous intersection. Even taking the GoPro effect into account, it's huge, with no accommodation for pedestrians beyond some paint. It needs pedestrian refuges, with beg buttons, at the very least, and no left turn when the crossing button has been pressed. I don't know what murderous psychopath thought allowing left turns into an active crosswalk was a good idea, but we have it here too, and that SOB should be convicted.

EDIT: OP, ride the bike you like. If you want full squish, go for it; whatever makes your commute worthwhile. Just make sure to show us some pics when you get it!
Correct. I wrote up my accident and sent it to the city planners (and the local paper). To their credit the lights were changed within days. In the same situation, the oncoming driver now gets a green while the crosswalk stays red. Driver gets about 6 seconds then it goes red. Then crosswalk gets green. NO MORE CAR/PED/BIKE MIXING which is great.
Likes For acroy:
Old 08-10-22, 02:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Correct. I wrote up my accident crash and sent it to the city planners (and the local paper). To their credit the lights were changed within days. In the same situation, the oncoming driver now gets a green while the crosswalk stays red. Driver gets about 6 seconds then it goes red. Then crosswalk gets green. NO MORE CAR/PED/BIKE MIXING which is great.
FIFY. Great idea to send it to the newspaper too; that tends to get things done. I'm glad the bike is working for you; it looks fast.
Old 08-10-22, 03:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

That's a really cool bike. XC bikes always look purposeful with the high seat and low stack.

I can see how you would spin out with the stock gearing and smaller slicks. It's kind of a traditional problem with MTB commuters but with the bike you chose the traditional fix (hybrid size chain rings) isn't in the cards. There are a few aftermarket cassettes (e13 and Garbaruk for example) with 9t top gears. The strong XC racing guys use 36+ front sprockets but a bigger sprocket loses anti-squat so that's a trade. If you look at 1x gravel bikes they often have 40 or 42 in front, if your bike can clear it.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-11-22 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-10-22, 10:34 PM
Sardines

following up!
Correct. I wrote up my accident and sent it to the city planners (and the local paper). To their credit the lights were changed within days. In the same situation, the oncoming driver now gets a green while the crosswalk stays red. Driver gets about 6 seconds then it goes red. Then crosswalk gets green. NO MORE CAR/PED/BIKE MIXING which is great.
So sad that the world had to adjust for idiots who mess with their phones etc and not pay attention to when they are driving 2 tons of death metal! haha
Old 08-11-22, 05:44 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
FIFY. Great idea to send it to the newspaper too; that tends to get things done. I'm glad the bike is working for you; it looks fast.
yes it is fast. I've had what I thought were pretty quick-accelerating bikes before - 26r with (reasonably) light wheels - this thing is lightning fast off the line and stopping is so fast it's weird. that rotational momentum is a big thing

That's a really cool bike. XC bikes always look purposeful with the high seat and low stack.

I can see how you would spin out with the stock gearing and smaller slicks. It's kind of a traditional problem with MTB commuters but with the bike you chose the traditional fix (hybrid size chain rings) isn't in the cards. There are a few aftermarket cassettes (e13 and Garbaruk for example) with 9t top gears. The strong XC racing guys use 36+ front sprockets but a bigger sprocket loses anti-squat so that's a trade. If you look at 1x gravel bikes they often have 40 or 42 in front, if your bike can clear it.
yeah it looks the business This is size XL, I'm 6'3" with relatively long torso so on a more 'proportionally' sized guy the seat would be even higher. The geometry is miles different from what I am used to; and I think I need a longer lower stem.
Great info on the cassettes thanks, I did not know there were 9t options out there. I was hoping to run a 40t, that would have been sufficient. Wrecked bike had 44x11 which was about perfect. 36x9 is exactly the same so maybe I can make this work!

So sad that the world had to adjust for idiots who mess with their phones etc and not pay attention to when they are driving 2 tons of death metal! haha
yeah it is rather terrible, and when they mess up they get off light which is a huge miscarriage of justice imho. the automobile is a device which if was invented today and introduced to an otherwise safe society, would never be allowed by the regulating / legal authorities. Just like booze. ah well! why is my whiskey glass empty again dammit!