Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe or Gatorskin ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Schwalbe or Gatorskin ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 06:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I had to check how much heavier the plus tour is and on the schwalbe website it's 30 grams lighter than the regular marathon plus. Seems strange but perhaps there's something going on under the hood.
Interesting, I recall my friend had 2.15 inch marathon tours, big massive things that were total overkill, I seem to remember they were at least twice the weight of 2inch supremes.

Clearly there is the "no flats at any cost" crowdThen there's the crowd don't feel the difference between tires And then on top of it, there are riders who routinely blithely ride over glass, smash fully weighted into sharp edges, rub the sidewall of their rear tire routinely against sharp objects because the can't visualize the tracking of the back of their bike-- these folks n need really tough tires, and that's ok.

Tire technology is amazing and has been for a good long time, so many great options
Old 12-09-22, 11:12 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Though I'm presently touring on Marathon Supremes, I have toured on Gatorskins for many years and wouldn't hesitate to use them again for such purposes. In fact I still carry a foldable 28mm Gator rolled up on most tours, for those "what if" occasions. It doesn't take up much room and provides peace of mind.

Last edited by robow; 12-09-22 at 06:03 PM.
Likes For robow:
Old 12-11-22, 12:44 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I asked this question in the road cycling forum. I think this forum is a better one for this question.

I have 700 x 32 Gatorskins on my road bike. I commute and ride thru poorly maintained streets.
Its time to replace the Gators. I am thinking about trying Schwalbe Marathon Plus and see how they compare. Whats your experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, disregarding ride quality, just puncture resisitance.
I held a Marathon Plus in my hands once. Pretty sure you can disregard ride quality with it. Just out of curiosity is this to address occasional punctures or do you want to just try something different with more durability? Given that the rear tire gets most damage you can go for a beefier rear tire and a different replacement for the Gatorskin in the front.

Last edited by LeeG; 12-11-22 at 01:06 PM.