Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

The answer to this probably no, but...

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 11-08-22, 04:14 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

I live where it is dry most of the year. i don't want to put permanent fenders on my tadpole trike. They're expensive and really not needed where i live. I also don't ride in the rain, but sometimes for a day or two after there are puddles I just can't avoid and sometimes can't go around. on my 2 wheel bikes i used things like the ass saver and clip on fenders that i would store away 9 months of the year and just get out for 3 months. i haven't figured out any way to mount a temporary fender of my trike but thought maybe someone might be familiar with a product that I've not seen. I mostly want to keep the spray from flowing back onto the arms of my jacket and getting it all muddy. Any solutions out there?
Old 11-08-22, 05:33 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
My trike has a fender on the rear wheel, and it's there all the time. If I didn't have that, and in your situation, I might consider zip-tying a piece of coroplast in place. That might require a rear rack or something so that there was something to zip-tie it TO, though. BTW, I did something like this with my old V-Rex: I put a piece of coroplast behind the mesh of the seat back. It at least kept my back clean.
Old 11-08-22, 06:29 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My trike has a fender on the rear wheel, and it's there all the time. If I didn't have that, and in your situation, I might consider zip-tying a piece of coroplast in place. That might require a rear rack or something so that there was something to zip-tie it TO, though. BTW, I did something like this with my old V-Rex: I put a piece of coroplast behind the mesh of the seat back. It at least kept my back clean.
It's not the rear wheels that are the problem, it's the front wheels. i'm short and sit close to the front wheels. Rear wheel spray doesn't hit me because I barely am taller than the seat back, lol, and I have a backpack hanging down the seat back. no rack- i took it off. i use my burley travoy instead.
Old 11-09-22, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Please post if you find something that works. I have thought about this as well as I get sprayed when turning. My granddaughter's Woom bike has clip on fenders that work well but nothing looks reasonable for the Catrike other than their $225 fenders.
Old 11-09-22, 07:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I put a rear fender on my ICE Sprint because I finally tired of all the grit that deposited on the back of my neck and down my back inside of my shirt. Love it! A few years later, after it seemed that I was riding more and more through small puddles, I got tired of going dead slow through them to avoid spray that doused me and my bags and installed front fenders. Love them as well. They were somewhat expensive, but I'm glad that I made the investment. They are well engineered to function while not interfering with my ride and they actually look good. They mount to the steering king posts with a single bolt so they can be dismounted easily.

I've not seen any system that allows a temporary but stable mounting, but if you come up with a design you may be able to market it.
Old 11-09-22, 08:46 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Never had fenders before the Kona Sutra, but I became a fan. I've ridden on muddy trails and dusty trails, plus all type of gravel and paved roads, they work.
Old 11-09-22, 10:33 AM
linberl

Well so far sounds like no other options. Maybe i'll get some of those clear long sleeves that vets use to check cows for pregnancy, lol. If I can't fender the trike, I can fender myself =). Still haven't given up on the idea - ought to be a way to attach a QR with a long mounting bar to the steering arms and then attach a fender that can be angle adjusted to that, maybe even a standard bike QR fender.
Old 11-09-22, 10:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If I had a choice between a pair of fenders for my front wheels and arm length rubber gloves used to check cows for pregnancy; I'd buy the fenders.
Old 10-27-23, 01:35 PM
Shriram

Bikes: Specialized Epic MTB, Battaglin Road, RANS V-Rex Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why don't you want to use fenders? Not much weight added and protection from things.
Old 10-28-23, 11:07 AM
linberl

I ended up buying fenders. I don't love them but they do the job. with Big Ben tires the clearance is very close so every big chunk of gravel gets stuck, lol. I just don't like the way trikes look with fenders and they are just one more thing to have to clean/tighten.
Old 10-30-23, 08:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
I must be weird. I love fenders. Even my racebike has fenders and that is saying a lot because I had to get special 'raceblade' fenders made just for freaks like me ($$$). Maybe they will grow on the o.p. To me they 'finish' the look of the vehicle. If rocks get caught in them they are a size too small. Sometimes that is unavoidable and then the solution is to set them so close to the tire that only the tiniest of pebbles can get sucked up. As for 'tightening', I've never had to. The mounting bolts of the Planet Bike fenders on my normal bikes have a dab of blue 'Loctite' on each one and they hold forever.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-31-23 at 04:26 PM.