Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need a Wool Sock Recommendation

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need a Wool Sock Recommendation

Old 11-15-22, 06:34 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I bought some but over the last several months they have shrunk quite a bit.
Old 11-15-22, 06:56 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
​​​​
32% nylon

Originally Posted by dedhed
Second smartwool

Many of Smartwool's socks are only 50% or less wool.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My go to sock company is Fox River. They make a quarter crew in wool.

Only 31% wool. These are mostly acrylic and nylon socks.

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Kirkland from Costco. About 60%Merino and cheap. I have worn them for years. They also had some crappy socks that were 15% Merino. Didn't buy those.

I've also worn these for years in the past. The ones I wore were actually 72% wool. They are much less costly than Darn Tough but they don't last as long. Even so, they're still 27% nylon.

Originally Posted by sean.hwy

Many of Darn Tough's socks are mostly nylon. That is, in fact, what makes them 'tough.' They do offer some socks with as much as 79% wool, but they tend to be over $32 a pair and even at that price they still have a lot of nylon.

100% wool socks can be had. I wear 100% wool now, but they're not ankle socks.

The OP was asking specifically about ankle socks. I don't have a source for 100% wool ankle socks, but besides the nylon blend socks mentioned above, I will mention Thermohair. These are 75% Mohair and 25% nylon. They do make ankle socks. I don't know about the ankle socks, but the crew/calf length socks are thick and very warm. They're made in Canada and prized by people in the north. The thing I've noticed is that they tend to be very slippery. I don't know if that's the Mohair or the nylon, but my feet slide around less inside the boot with wool socks.
Old 11-16-22, 02:34 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
I think I'll get a pair just to say I'm wearing possum! Seriously, I'm going to try them. Thanks for the recommendation.
If the possum down content is very high, the socks may not last long. There are story after story of gloves not lasting.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 11-16-22, 03:41 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=
The OP was asking specifically about ankle socks. I don't have a source for 100% wool ankle socks, but besides the nylon blend socks mentioned above, I will mention Thermohair. These are 75% Mohair and 25% nylon. They do make ankle socks. I don't know about the ankle socks, but the crew/calf length socks are thick and very warm. They're made in Canada and prized by people in the north. The thing I've noticed is that they tend to be very slippery. I don't know if that's the Mohair or the nylon, but my feet slide around less inside the boot with wool socks.[/QUOTE]

Just a note of clarification. Considering the socks I have cycled with, the ankle socks tended to be thinner than the crew. For summer, I want a thin merino wool sock. If a crew sock fits the bill, that would be fine, I just haven't seen that. Yet anyway.
Old 11-16-22, 03:47 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by BikeLite
If the possum down content is very high, the socks may not last long. There are story after story of gloves not lasting.
Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know what % possum down is optimum? And how long is not long? When I started wearing wool socks, I remember people saying they didn't last.
Old 11-16-22, 04:14 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by greatbasin
​​​​
32% nylon

Only 31% wool. These are mostly acrylic and nylon socks.

I've also worn these for years in the past. The ones I wore were actually 72% wool. They are much less costly than Darn Tough but they don't last as long. Even so, they're still 27% nylon.

Many of Darn Tough's socks are mostly nylon. That is, in fact, what makes them 'tough.' They do offer some socks with as much as 79% wool, but they tend to be over $32 a pair and even at that price they still have a lot of nylon.

100% wool socks can be had. I wear 100% wool now, but they're not ankle socks.

The OP was asking specifically about ankle socks. I don't have a source for 100% wool ankle socks, but besides the nylon blend socks mentioned above, I will mention Thermohair. These are 75% Mohair and 25% nylon. They do make ankle socks. I don't know about the ankle socks, but the crew/calf length socks are thick and very warm. They're made in Canada and prized by people in the north. The thing I've noticed is that they tend to be very slippery. I don't know if that's the Mohair or the nylon, but my feet slide around less inside the boot with wool socks.
Your post got me to thinking again about the % wool in the socks I use. I'm not sure where that should be, but I went wool initially for the claims that it could be wet and still insulate (probably the greater % wool the better) and it's anti-microbial properties (not sure what % it takes for that to be true). Over the years, I've found wool to be more comfortable than the synthetics, so on that one, the more wool the better. Again though, I want a thin sock, so I assume that means I need a certain amount of synthetic material to make that happen. I'm not sure where that "happy place" of wool/synthetic blend is really. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find the blend on my Pearl Izumi socks that I like. They had enough wool in them to not stink after wearing them for 500 miles without washing and feel comfortable, so they have enough wool, at least for summer temps, IMO.
Old 11-16-22, 05:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations folks! Keep em coming. I'm thinking I'll get a pair of each that fit the bill and do a review with my finicky feet.
Smartwool voter here.
https://www.sierra.com/all/mens-sock...vingsHighToLow
Old 11-16-22, 11:00 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
​​​​
32% nylon

Uhm... read the label. Of course they make different types. There is a reason manufacturers blend other materials with wool when making socks. Wool is more delicate than synthetics, so adding synthetic material will allow the sock to retain its shape better, and last longer. A blend of wool and synthetic is also easier to care for. Saying "Many of Smartwool's socks are 50% or less wool," is like saying, "Many of GM's cars are small cars," it has no real significance, other than offering a choice for differing needs.

There are reasons for different blends, and Smartwool offers many, including 74%, 77%, 66%, and many many more. I actually prefer a blend due to comfort, better longevity, they hold their shape better, and stay up better.
Old 11-16-22, 11:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
For cycling, Swiftwick Pursuit are my hands-down favorite (tbh, they're my favorite for non-cycling, too - I'll wear them any time). Dense and cozy cushion under the heel and forefoot, but thinner and breathable elsewhere. My second choice would be Smartwools in Light Elite - similar to Swiftwick Pursuit, but not quite as nice, though they can often be had at deeper discount than you'll generally find for Swiftwick.
Old 11-16-22, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
Hmmm...I have 1 pair that I have used and washed a few times. I have not noticed any shrinking. I don't do anything special with the washing or drying, either.
Old 11-16-22, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Hmmm...I have 1 pair that I have used and washed a few times. I have not noticed any shrinking. I don't do anything special with the washing or drying, either.
I have pairs that are ~5 years old with no shrinkage. I wash cold and tumble dry on low, so nothing special.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-16-22, 11:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I have pairs that are ~5 years old with no shrinkage. I wash cold and tumble dry on low, so nothing special.
I don't even make the effort for cold and low - lol.
Old 11-16-22, 04:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'm a warm and hot guy by default
Old 11-16-22, 06:51 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I wash cold water delicate with all my other cycling clothes and hang to dry. None of my other stuff has shrunk.
Old 11-16-22, 07:13 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
darntough.com
+1 for Darn Tough. Lifetime guarantee can't be beat. Great variety of thickness/height. I've worn out several pairs running and never had a problem getting replacements so I eventually replaced all my socks with Darn Tough.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 11-16-22, 07:30 PM
WhyFi

I wash cold water delicate with all my other cycling clothes and hang to dry. None of my other stuff has shrunk.
Okay. I don't know what to tell you. I've owned a dozen or so pair of merino Swiftwicks over the course of several years and none have shrunk. Maybe reach out to them; they seem to be pretty customer-friendly.
Old 11-16-22, 07:54 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Uhm... read the label. Of course they make different types. There is a reason manufacturers blend other materials with wool when making socks. Wool is more delicate than synthetics, so adding synthetic material will allow the sock to retain its shape better, and last longer. A blend of wool and synthetic is also easier to care for. Saying "Many of Smartwool's socks are 50% or less wool," is like saying, "Many of GM's cars are small cars," it has no real significance, other than offering a choice for differing needs.

There are reasons for different blends, and Smartwool offers many, including 74%, 77%, 66%, and many many more. I actually prefer a blend due to comfort, better longevity, they hold their shape better, and stay up better.
Well, the OP posted that it got them thinking about what blend would in fact be ideal for their use. Nylon, acrylic, polyester and lycra are certainly more durable than wool, and cheaper. The durability that nylon adds could be important if a very thin sock like pantyhose is desired. In determining your preference for synthetic blends, did you try any 100% wool socks?
Old 11-16-22, 08:14 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Well, the OP posted that it got them thinking about what blend would in fact be ideal for their use. Nylon, acrylic, polyester and lycra are certainly more durable than wool, and cheaper. The durability that nylon adds could be important if a very thin sock like pantyhose is desired. In determining your preference for synthetic blends, did you try any 100% wool socks?
Yes, I have both, but now only one 100% wool pair left. I prefer a blend.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-17-22, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phughes
Yes, I have both, but now only one 100% wool pair left. I prefer a blend.
Yup. I wear a lot of merino and prefer 100% wool for shirts, sweaters, base layers, hats, gaiters, etc, but prefer a blend for technical socks. Compression, staying in place, retaining size/shape, etc - all better with blends.
Old 11-17-22, 07:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Kirkland from Costco. About 60%Merino and cheap. I have worn them for years. They also had some crappy socks that were 15% Merino. Didn't buy those.
I use these too. Best bang for the buck.

There are only so many $15/pr socks one can buy. These, however, are in near infinite supply.

Pro tip: buy all of them the same color so you don't have to sort them.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-17-22, 10:12 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Again, Darn Tough because they are (could be called Darn Warm too).
Old 11-17-22, 10:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I am looking to replace my wool ankle high Pearl Izumi socks. It appears they don't make them anymore, except in woman's sizes. (The largest is too small for me, I've tried it). I'm looking for a sock that is 1) wool, 2) ankle high, 3)thin and 4)has no big seam across toe area. I wear wool year round for its anti-bacterial properties and feel. I've looked at crew length, since Pearl Izumi still makes them, but they seem to be thicker, which I don't prefer for warmer riding. Thanks in advance!
My BinL got me Kirkland brand wool socks for Christmas and they work fine for me. It's important to NOT use strong detergents when washing anything made of wool as the detergent will also strip away the oils that make wool so good to wear.

Cheers
Old 11-22-22, 11:04 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
darn tough
Old 11-22-22, 07:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
For cycling, Swiftwick Pursuit are my hands-down favorite (tbh, they're my favorite for non-cycling, too - I'll wear them any time). Dense and cozy cushion under the heel and forefoot, but thinner and breathable elsewhere. My second choice would be Smartwools in Light Elite - similar to Swiftwick Pursuit, but not quite as nice, though they can often be had at deeper discount than you'll generally find for Swiftwick.

Yes they are, in the words of Larry David, “pretty, pretty, pretty good”. Haven’t had them on the road but around the house, muy comfy

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-23-22, 10:25 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
darn tough
DARN TOUGH wear with sandals, shoes or boots and they have a lifetime guarantee .........if you ride in Chacos these are your sock$

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.