Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Floor Pump?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Goodbye Floor Pump?

Old 12-09-22, 06:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I went the splurge direction and bought a Silca Superpista Digital with the Hiro chuck. Yes, it's $349 but it's basically perfect, I use it daily in season and it will never wear out. Perhaps unnecessary, but it's nice to use something so well made.
Lots of folks here cannot fathom spending that amount on a pump and chuck. But I definitely get it. Silca makes some very nice equipment, and yes, it’s a joy to use stuff that is so finely crafted, knowing every part is rebuildable. Love my Pista Plus and Hiro.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-10-22, 05:51 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What ya think? I'm not asking what floor pump you use, or which one you think I should buy. I am curious about your thoughts on using a cordless inflator.
They work incredibly well, although I prefer the Makita. It's a bit faster.
I've seen a shedload of assemblers using them, and borrowed them on occasion.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 12-10-22, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I assume these hand held compressors are loud. I'm always pumping tires before early morning rides and that's a deal killer.

I went the splurge direction and bought a Silca Superpista Digital with the Hiro chuck. Yes, it's $349 but it's basically perfect, I use it daily in season and it will never wear out. Perhaps unnecessary, but it's nice to use something so well made.

Every bike I have is tubeless. For seating tubeless tires, I bought a generic 6 gal compressor and a Prestaflator Pro. This setup was less than $200 total and will seat anything from a road tire to a fatbike tire instantly. Use this setup a few times and it pays for itself vs going to a shop.
i am available for adoption.

Old 12-10-22, 10:35 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Is there an n+1 for pumps? I have 20+, but many are the Silca frame pumps I have on my C&V bikes.

95% of the time now I use my Dewalt 20v inflator with a Prestacycle presta valve head, but I just bought a Hiro side lever chuck for 50% off on Black Friday and will try that. I take my Dewalt inflator to group rides and can quickly top off my friends’ tires. It inflates pretty quickly and it’s easy to adjust the pressure for my tires. I run 80.5/85.0 f/r psi on my modern carbon wheels, but run up to 115/115 on some vintage wheels. It’s easy to change the psi setting on the Dewalt using the rotary switch.

I have 5 bikes that I ride, and at least 20 sets of wheels (for bikes I hang or are in the process of building) that I occasionally inflate so the portable cordless inflator is a timesaver. Some of my bikes are hanging so the inflator is very convenient- it saves me from taking down each bike to inflate the tires with my Silca floor pump or Topeka Joe Blow. I also use it on our cars so that inflator is used several times a week, especially because I’m running latex tubes on a few bikes. I’ve had it for years and it is built well. I had a collection of 20v Dewalt tools already so I stayed with Dewalt.

I currently have the Prestacycle presta valve press on head screwed onto the Dewalt hose’s schrader valve fitting. To the right are my Black Friday purchases from the Silca website.

These are the Black Friday sale prices from the Silca website. I bought 1 Hiro and the frame pump for me, and the other items will be gifts for my buddies.

Last edited by momoman; 12-11-22 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Correct the spelling for schrader
Likes For momoman:
Old 12-11-22, 09:33 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I found this comparison.
https://youtu.be/fzN04gdmgC4
It's a little longer, but not a lot. Getting a tubeless charger/booster tank up to max might be a different animal. Most of my pump use is just topping off before I ride.
On sale at the Home Despot right now, kit, with battery and charger is 59.97
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...7DKN/311788879
Old 12-12-22, 11:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,041 Times in 3,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
They work incredibly well, although I prefer the Makita. It's a bit faster.
I've seen a shedload of assemblers using them, and borrowed them on occasion.
Since I already have a family of Ridgid 18V tools, it made sense to stick with Ridgid for the inflator. So far, I'm very happy with how fast it is getting the job done.
Old 12-15-22, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,041 Times in 3,801 Posts
I got the Silca Hiro chuck - a very nice little thing, but an admittedly unnecessary expense. There are plenty of cheaper options that are an improvement over a thread-on adapter that would do the job just fine.

I continue to be impressed with how quickly the Ridgid inflator gets things pumped up. I haven't done any head-to-head timed shootouts, but my sense is that it's not noticeably slower than a floor pump. I had concerns about how well it would do at the upper end of its pressure capabilities, like filling an Airshot cannister for seating tubeless tires. No more concerns. Last night, I needed to re-seat a tire on my SS MTB after adding a new dose of sealant. The rear tire pumped up fine without a cannister shot, using just the inflator, but the front tire needed some help. Without a struggle, the inflator pumped up the cannister to 130psi, and I seated the tire on the first try.

I don't care for the schrader chuck that is currently on the end of the hose. It works to connect to the Hiro, but it's not as solid a connection as I would like. A remedy for that will be coming soon.

As mentioned before, the downside is that it's kind of noisy, but it's not that bad. So far, that's the only downside.