Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lowest volume air compressor for grip changes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-18-22, 12:31 PM
arewolfe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I currently have a 1.5 gal air compressor with 150 PSI that works nicely for getting grips (Kraton rubber type) on and off a handlebar. I'm assuming one of the car-cigarette-lighter air pumps would not create enough sustained PSI to get the job done.

Anyone have an opinion on the minimum tank volume for this fine act of bicycle maintenance?
Old 09-18-22, 12:34 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
What brand/model is your current one? I was gonna post similar in the last few days..lol. Maybe flow rate (cfm) is more important than top psi?

Last edited by BikeLite; 09-18-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-18-22, 01:15 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Porter cable... I don't see a model number but you can see the specs in this pic

Originally Posted by BikeLite
What brand/model is your current one? I was gonna post similar in the last few days..lol. Maybe flow rate (cfm) is more important than top psi?
Old 09-18-22, 01:19 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, never mind. It's not letting me upload a photo because I don't have 10 posts yet. Porter Cable brand, 1.5 gallon, 150 PSI
Likes For arewolfe:
Old 09-18-22, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Note that the required volume isn't limited by the compressor flow rate.

There's usually a storage tank, which allows a large, sustained blast, well
beyond what the compressor could deliver on my its own.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-18-22, 10:29 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
We use this in the shop and it blows off HB Grips well,

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/...7/57572_W3.jpg

as FBinNY said,
There's usually a storage tank, which allows a large, sustained blast
. You need that blast (and blocking off any air leaks), we have had to chase grips across the parking lot

Last edited by JoeTBM; 09-18-22 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 08:14 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I’ve considered rigging this Spare Air and 80 up for grip removal, dusting/drying, cut off wheel or die grinder, and tire inflation.

Old 09-19-22, 01:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
for me it is simple, I will use the compressor (husky with 120 psi top) and always shoot the grips into some hard to get at place in the garage no matter how careful i try to be

no help for original question

Old 09-19-22, 06:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Use bolt on grips and not have the problem of needing a compressor and if you are needing an in car compressor you should do some maintenance to the bike at home or at a shop something like that is not really for the trailhead.
Old 09-19-22, 10:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Most of the grips I replace are rather worn out (such is the exciting life of a wrench). So, I often slide, in between the grip and bar, a skinny hex wrench. Adjacent to that slide in a Clean Streak nozzle and give a light spray. Remove the nozzle and work the hex wrench back and forth a little so the spray can migrate about. Pull the grip off and quickly wipe off the bar. No noise, no added person to plug the other end of the bars. The bars are cleaned at the same time. Only when I can't slide on a new grip with my moist breath and hands will I go to evaporative spray or grip stretching air pressure. Andy
Old 09-22-22, 01:20 PM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Most of the grips I replace are rather worn out (such is the exciting life of a wrench). So, I often slide, in between the grip and bar, a skinny hex wrench. Adjacent to that slide in a Clean Streak nozzle and give a light spray. Remove the nozzle and work the hex wrench back and forth a little so the spray can migrate about. Pull the grip off and quickly wipe off the bar. No noise, no added person to plug the other end of the bars. The bars are cleaned at the same time. Only when I can't slide on a new grip with my moist breath and hands will I go to evaporative spray or grip stretching air pressure. Andy
Simple technique. I've used it several time with success too.
Old 09-22-22, 03:58 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Andy, Just curious. We have used this method too for grips that we are saving for reuse or reinstall (when repairing a DER control) but if the grip is worn and to be replaced we just slide a utility knife parallel to the bar and just cut it off lengthwise. Won't this be easier?

Old 09-22-22, 06:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Andy, Just curious. We have used this method too for grips that we are saving for reuse or reinstall (when repairing a DER control) but if the grip is worn and to be replaced we just slide a utility knife parallel to the bar and just cut it off lengthwise. Won't this be easier?
My doing repairs is not only about ease or minimum time spent. How I feel about what i do is important to me. I just like to try nondestructive methods first many times. But I am a Dr's kid, so the "do no harm" thing is high up there is how I look at stuff. Andy (who thinks about this when grinding/filing away on a frame too much of the time)
Old 10-08-22, 03:47 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good method.

I actually prefer stretched grips. When I install new grips (every 3 months or so), it takes about 5 rides til they stretch to where I like them.
Old 10-08-22, 03:50 PM
arewolfe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Locking grips are the s•••.

I used them when I rode DH mountain bikes. Now I'm more or less strictly BMX, and the grips I use (Odyssey Broc Raiford) aren't offered with a locking option, and I wouldn't use any other grips now that I've found "the ones".
Old 10-09-22, 03:26 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Someone needs to make a locking base grip that ESI's can be put on.
Likes For BikeLite: