Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Roadace Bike Info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Roadace Bike Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-22, 09:07 AM
White shadow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Roadace Bike Info

I have an old (70s? 80s?) road bike. The frame says Roadace 303 and has a BRC emblem on the front. The serial number is M018005. The shifters are Suntour stem mounted. Both derailleurs are Shimano and (I assume) not original. The brakes are Dia Compte, also the brake levers. The wheels have been replaced with 27" alloy wheels. I read somewhere it was a reasonably good quality bike that was intended to compete with the higher end Eurpoean bikes. It a bit of a frankenbike and probably beyond restoration but I'm interested if anyone has any information on the make.
Old 09-28-22, 09:28 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. BRC was the house brand of Richmond BC based bicycle importers and distributors Boyes & Rosser. Roadace 303 was an entry level Maruishi model, so it sounds like a re-branded Maruishi product, though the posted serial number is not consistent with their serial number format. Photos may help. Ignore the forum warnings about requiring 10 posts before posting photos. The photos will upload to a gallery album under you user name, where members can view them.
Old 09-28-22, 02:41 PM
White shadow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks T-Mar,
My real intent here is to get some information on an older Peugeot i just acquired. I want to post some pics but I thought I had to post 10X. I'll try the album thing and start a new thread on the Peugeot. In the meantime I'll post some pics of this beast when I get a chance to take some!
Old 09-28-22, 04:54 PM
White shadow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I tried to upload a photo but I just received an error message. I'll try and figure it out..............
Old 09-28-22, 06:02 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The upload worked fine. Like I said, just ignore the warnings. The Peugeot looks like a Canadian market, UO5 Club model, circa 1984.
Old 09-29-22, 07:00 PM
White shadow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in awe of your identification skills. I'll upload a few more pics to confirm the diagnosis.
Old 09-29-22, 07:05 PM
White shadow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The bike looks in reasonable shape to me - new rubber obviously and probably new wheels because they seem to have bent rims as well as quite heavy rust in some areas. Also new cables. Other than that, it seems ok. So I'm thinking a couple of hundred bucks - and a lot of cleaning and polishing to get it roadworthy and I'll have a bike which is worth a couple of hundred bucks! Would you agree with that?
I was given it, so I guess it's not a bad deal....................
Old 10-02-22, 01:58 PM
White shadow

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
st started a new thread on the bike looking for any suggestions on whether it is worth the time and money to bring back to life. Thanks a lot for your identification.
Old 11-02-22, 08:36 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
[QUOTE=White shadow;22662017 The frame says Roadace 303 and has a BRC emblem on the front. The serial number is M018005. . . .[/QUOTE]

Hello White shadow.,
welcome to the forum.

I think what you quoted as the serial number is the maruishi date code: MCI8005.

If so the frame is from Maruishi and was manufactured in 1980 month 05, or May.

The serial number should be on the Head tube.