Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Riviera? / Garlatti

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-30-22, 04:43 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts

Is there anybody who knows the Cinelli Rivieras / Garlattis / Rabeneicks enough to tell me how would I know which of them is this?
This poor thing popped up at the local ads here in Germany for a reasonable price and I wonder if it is really a Modello C / Riviera, or can be pretty much anything from Garlatti as they contract built for others with these lugs.

I have seen the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-garlatti.html thread but those photos don't help much here.

Any insights welcome, thanks.

Lattz
Old 09-30-22, 04:44 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

As for the concern, why it can be other than Cinelli, here is this also super nice Rabeneick, if I know it properly also from the Garlatti works...

Old 10-01-22, 08:29 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I though the Rivieras had the bullet cap seatstays.
Old 10-01-22, 11:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
As for the concern, why it can be other than Cinelli, here is this also super nice Rabeneick, if I know it properly also from the Garlatti works...

I can’t help with the red bike but I love this! Not just a fancy fender ornament but a flag too! Great looking bike for cruising down to the espresso bar.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-01-22, 12:22 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Lugs and Stays

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I though the Rivieras had the bullet cap seatstays.
My Garlatti has bullet caps but the lug work seems the same. The red bike has some extra touches like the peice brazed on top of the
bottom braket, for holding the chain while swapping wheels?
Old 10-01-22, 12:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
My Garlatti has bullet caps but the lug work seems the same. The red bike has some extra touches like the peice brazed on top of the
bottom braket, for holding the chain while swapping wheels?
I think the lower pump peg as to the braze on on the top of the down tube near the bottom bracket.
Looks like a Garlatti constructed machine to me.
Has a Cinelli head badge... those are worth something.
Old 10-01-22, 01:39 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

red machine -

head lugs: Agrati "ROMA" pattern

seat lug: Agrati "AM" pattern

crown: Agrati "ROMA" pattern

shell: Agrati (cannot see clearly enough for model ID)

seat cluster variation mentioned above -

suspect Riviera model enjoyed a production life of at least fifteen year

there are examples with both the "bullet" seat stay and with the Malaguti pattern as seen here

Agrati seat lug patterns could be ordered in a selection of configurations:

a) bare, without binder ears or Malaguti plugs

b) with Malaguti plugs and no binder ears

c) with binder ears and no Malaguti plugs

member martl may be able to add some valuable information

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-01-22 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 10-02-22, 07:58 AM
Lattz

Thanks everybody for popping in...
Bianchigirll indeed the aim is exactly to get a bike which has no other function besides being beautiful for short runs around town... "shirt day bike" as I say. Actually, it was my aim before I got into cycling, but missing out on some ornate older Bianchi, I got a 89-92 ish Bianchi SBX which apart from the Celeste color and some chrome was as simple as a bike can be, not a single panto, and no interesting lugs. I found the beauty in that later, and being a really good bike it set the course for me what I want in cycling. But reading into a recent thread from SJX426 the old memories came back, that I got nice bikes, useful bikes, cheap bikes and various others over the year, but I still didn't have one which is old, decorated but not kitschy.
I think the part referred by brixxton can either be a chain hanger as he said, it could be a suspect for a chain guard holder as well.
I have never paid enough attention to Rabeneicks so far, I always stop by LBS and take a peek at it in the window with a sigh, noting it beautiful, but not the one I would ride. But this is a big thing now, as it seems both the Cinelli and the Rabeneick are from Garlatti. Since any old Cinellis are flying over EUR1000 these days, the red one is not bad even if I consider most parts as useless for the bike, but for the fragment of that I can get a more or less the same Rabeneick even a complete bike... something along these lines. I don't mind an original with patina or even neglected, but the red Cinelli also would be good, since it doesn't come with the respray/don't respray issue I had with the SBX.

These are a different level, but way out of my league:

Last edited by Lattz; 10-02-22 at 08:15 AM.