Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road shoes ??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road shoes ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 05:33 PM
spivey44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road shoes ??

So I will be purchasing my first road bike tomorrow, likely the Scott CR 1 Pro. Next issue is pedals and shoes.

On my mountain bike i have Crank Brothers candy pedals and use Shimano shoes with the two holes in the bottom. The cleats i use are Crank Bros. as well, https://www.jensonusa.com/Cleats/Cran...m-Pedal-Cleats
I don't know if these are what are called SPD type but my shoe says SPD and the cleats fit. If not SPD what do i call these??

I like the pedals because they can be clipped in on either side. As I research road pedals it looks like only one side can be used.

Question is: can i use Crank Bros pedals and similar shoe on a road bike or do i go for "road" pedals? If so, why? Bad form to use mountain bike pedals or not a big deal ?

I will likely stick with Shimano shoes as my feet are wide and the Shimano shoes fit quite well. O.K. to use a spare mountain bike shoe or better to go with a stiffer road shoe. Remember I'm new to this so what is my best course of action.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-13, 07:03 PM
Taipei325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for pedals that you can clip into from both sides, consider Speedplay. Very nice pedal, good float, and easy to clip in and out of. I personally would go with road shoes for a road bike...but there isn't one way to do it unless you do things the right way!
Old 01-04-13, 07:12 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do you get off your bike much? Walk around in your cycling shoes? Have to trudge through some muddy ground to get behind some bushes too much?

If any of that is true, stay FAR away from Speedplays. The flat metal cleat is hard enough in itself to walk around on, but the cleat is designed to suck up mud and debris and either make it impossible to clip in - or clip out once you're clipped in.

If you have MTB pedals and shoes already (it seems as if you do), use them. If you don't have any problems such as needing stiffer shoes, there's no reason to change.
Old 01-04-13, 08:56 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you like your MTB pedals, put them on your road bike. To be perfectly honest, I do a lot of group rides over the course of the year, and I can say that I never look at whatever pedals anyone has. In fact, the only time I ever noticed a guy's pedals was when we all stopped and waited while he changed a flat, and he had to ride almost a mile before he was able to clip back in, after standing on gravel.

He was using Speedplays.
Old 01-04-13, 09:33 PM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Road shoes generally have 3-4 bolt pattern, and don't accept Crank Bro cleats- I tried and failed to make that work, and went to standard road pedals. (Fine BTW, there's less clutch clipping/ unclipping on a road bike)

Stick with mtn bike shoes if you want to use Crank Bros.
Old 01-04-13, 09:53 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a personal preference thing. If you like your MTB stuff, use it. At least for a while.

As for Speedplays, I have them and love them. I have yet to step in anything so bad that I could not clip in. If you are worried about that, they make covers that snap on for when you feel inclined to go hiking through mud, dirt, and snow. For me, the benefits of Speedplay more than make up for any drawbacks the cleats may have.
Old 01-04-13, 11:35 PM
Tiremaniacs

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R, 2009 Jamis Xenith SL, 2010 Jamis Xenith T, 2012 Ridley X-Fire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road shoes and road pedals. The feel in the good road shoes is so much different - direct transfer of power to the pedal; snag, and light feel. The pedals are lighter are more streamlined. Try them before you buy them - shoes. Pedals is a matter of personal commitment\attachment (IMHO) to 3 or so major players or being unique and picking the 4th, 5th or so. With shoes unfortunately the more $$ is often the more but you can find the deals.
Old 01-05-13, 11:26 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiremaniacs
Road shoes and road pedals. The feel in the good road shoes is so much different - direct transfer of power to the pedal; snag, and light feel. The pedals are lighter are more streamlined. Try them before you buy them - shoes. Pedals is a matter of personal commitment\attachment (IMHO) to 3 or so major players or being unique and picking the 4th, 5th or so. With shoes unfortunately the more $$ is often the more but you can find the deals.

Disagree on all points...except perhaps the personal commitment/attachment part, if you're not particularly objective and analytical.
Old 01-05-13, 05:08 PM
cycledogg

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Speedpaly pedals and Sidi road shoes. You won't regret it.
Old 01-05-13, 05:13 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diadoras are 57% off on chainreaction for all january, you may want to take a look.
Old 01-05-13, 06:00 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+ 1 w/ Looigi. I have Sidi Dragons for my MTB and Sidi Ergo 2 for my road bike. The shoes are identical other than the mtb shoe has an aggressive tread pattern on the sole and alows for screw in spikes. Other than that it is the same shoe ... super stiff CF sole ... heal cup adjustment ... same ratchet / strap system ... very comfortable ... very light. I use Speedplay Zeros on my road bike and Shimano XTR pedals on my mtb. Both pedal systems are excellent (although the comments on the Speedplay are true in that they are easily jammed with mud / debris but it becomes second narure to watch where you step so this downside would not sway me against recommending them). I would not be concerned with using a MTB pedal system assuming it is a half way decent one that provides a good platform. I would note however that I have an older XTR pedal on my CX bike and the new XTR on my MTB are a significant improvement over the older version ... much better platform and power transfer.

Originally Posted by Looigi
Disagree on all points...except perhaps the personal commitment/attachment part, if you're not particularly objective and analytical.
Old 01-05-13, 06:35 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Its your bike, your feet, your decision. If you like the crank Bros pedals, get a second pair and use the same shoes. If you want to try something different, that's OK too. There is nothing wrong with MTB pedals on a road bike.
Now, personally, I have dedicated road and MTB pedals and shoes. I use the Shimano SPD-SL pedals with SIDI shoes on the road.
Old 01-05-13, 09:00 PM
Tiremaniacs

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R, 2009 Jamis Xenith SL, 2010 Jamis Xenith T, 2012 Ridley X-Fire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps bringing the choice of driving the car in winter on summer tires or in summer on winter tires is exaggeration but I enjoy my:
- snuggy, stiff sole, grabby heel, and super light road shoes on light, stiff and streamlined road pedals with no possibility of unclipping accidentally on my road bike
and
- sturdier, a bit warmer, snuggy but with some wiggle room, with stiff and grippy sole, light by MTB standard, MTB shoe on a light but durable MTB pedal that will not get clogged with mud and stones and will allow me for slight floating and easy in and out while on my CX bike.

But these are just MY personal preferences if not requirements. One can mix and match any of these to her/his likings.
There probably are more attributes one can consider but I am just trying to make a point that while it is possible to ski powder on carvers or ski the groomers on your 130mm fat skis there is a purpose for the specific kind of gear and specific conditions. Not to say that everyone has to comply. After all, it's all about enjoying the time on the bike.
Cheers