Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any way to prolong the lifespan of those dreaded Simplex Delrin components? ​​​​​​​

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any way to prolong the lifespan of those dreaded Simplex Delrin components? ​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 02:44 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

I am building up a 70's French bike with period correct components. I have a Simplex push-rod type fd with a nice original chainguard that I would like to use, if it weren't for the bad rep of those old pieces of plastic.

I wonder if there's any sort of chemical that could, perhaps to a degree, reverse the damage done by UV exposure and restore some elasticity/shear strength to these parts?

I've previously used automotive plastic trim conditioners to a good effect on some stuck and dried-out handlebar grips, which are, of course, made of a more rubbery material. Anyhow, that made me wonder if there's something that could be done to those fragile old bits of DuPont Delrin...

​​​​​

​​​
Old 02-10-23, 03:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...the Car Guys make and sell this plastic/rubber/vinyl restoration stuff, that works pretty well on brake hoods, but I've never tried it on Simplex Delrin. It might have trouble sinking in deeply enough on something well aged. I'm not especially sentimental about the Simplex plastic stuff, even though I'm old enough to have used a lot of it over the years. I think of it as a bold experiment that ended in failure. If the front derailleur looks iffy, I replace it with Suntour. If the rear looks iffy, I usually replace with whatever all metal rear derailleur fits the dropout easily. Often that is something from early Shimano (e.g. Crane).
Old 02-10-23, 07:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Frequent ladling of warm butter will...

I'm sorry, that's my Chateau Briand recipe. Nevermind.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-23, 08:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
One reason hat plastic items tend to get brittle with age is called "plasticiser migration. Plastic items contain plasticisers to help keep them from becoming brittle and when they are lost from within the plastic brittleness starts to set in. I know of no way to replace them into the structure of the item. UV exposure also changes the plastic's structure with similar effects. Eventually they are going to fail.
What I would suggest is to make some detailed measurements of the items and see if you can perhaps replicate them by machining or 3D printing.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-10-23, 08:52 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9
I am building up a 70's French bike with period correct components. I have a Simplex push-rod type fd with a nice original chainguard that I would like to use, if it weren't for the bad rep of those old pieces of plastic.

I wonder if there's any sort of chemical that could, perhaps to a degree, reverse the damage done by UV exposure and restore some elasticity/shear strength to these parts?

I've previously used automotive plastic trim conditioners to a good effect on some stuck and dried-out handlebar grips, which are, of course, made of a more rubbery material. Anyhow, that made me wonder if there's something that could be done to those fragile old bits of DuPont Delrin...​​​
Delrin is similar to nylon, and is subject to oxidation over time just like any plastic. There really is no way to reverse this as it is a chemical reaction. You might find something that improves the surface but nothing can be done to change the physical properties.
Old 02-10-23, 09:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Frequent ladling of warm butter will...

I'm sorry, that's my Chateau Briand recipe. Nevermind.
Back in the early 1980s I read that Russian yak butter was the best Simplex plastic preservative. That's what the winning Russian Olympic team lubed their chains with in 1980. Andy......(and can I sell you some?)
Old 02-10-23, 10:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
In all seriousness, there is no chemical that you can put on the surface of a solid plastic that is going to effect anything but the surface.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-23, 10:24 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I think the most important advice is the same as it was in 1973: Do Not Ever Adjust Spring Tensions in a Simplex Rear Derailleur. It was not unusual for a customer to think the chain tension was too low, and tried to tweak the spring tension. Often in the attempt, they’d strip out the hole in the delrin which the spring fits into.
Old 02-10-23, 11:53 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators
I think the most important advice is the same as it was in 1973: Do Not Ever Adjust Spring Tensions in a Simplex Rear Derailleur. It was not unusual for a customer to think the chain tension was too low, and tried to tweak the spring tension. Often in the attempt, they’d strip out the hole in the delrin which the spring fits into.
Even more common was breaking the springs. The LBS I worked at had a box of springs that we went to often. Kinda bizarre that the derided plastic was sometimes tougher than the steel bits.
Old 02-11-23, 01:56 AM
Krov9

Thanks for the input guys!

I've been thinking of 3D printing a replacement, but the shape is pretty complex... trying to figure out how they were put together back in the day.

Also, this is likely not going to be a long term solution, since the printer at my disposal uses PLA filament which is supposed to be biodegradable 😅

I'm pretty much stuck with Simplex gears due to the proprietary RD hanger (other compatible RD's such as Shimano Crane and Campagnolo Rally are pretty expensive/difficult to find these days).

I have a Simplex RD (not sure about the exact model) with aluminum knuckles etc. Guess I'll have to look out for a non-Delrin FD too.
Old 02-11-23, 11:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...the Shimano Crane short cage rear derailleurs can still be found on ebay in the slightly overpriced but not absolutely outrageous category.

Vintage Shimano / Dura-Ace Crane Short Cage Aluminum Rear Bike Derailleur

Shimano also made and sold an identically designed derailleur, called the Titlist. There are currently a number of them offered on ebay in the $30 range. Here is a quick search result. The Titlist is not all alloy, so a tiny bit heavier, and the finish is slightly less polished, but they work just as well as the Crane. They seem to get little respect, but I use one on one French bike with Simplex dropout, and it works well. The search list also has one or two more Crane short cage rears in the $40 range.

The short cage ones will handle a range of rear cogs similar to the original Simplex. For more gearing range than that, you need a long cage. Those are usually more expensive, as is the Rally. If you have an all alloy Simplex rear already, you should probably use it. Those are also increasingly expensive on ebay (which, apart from the bike co-op, is my main source for this stuff.)
Old 02-11-23, 11:34 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Back in the early 1980s I read that Russian yak butter was the best Simplex plastic preservative. That's what the winning Russian Olympic team lubed their chains with in 1980. Andy......(and can I sell you some?)
Andy, Given the Russian's exceptionally fluid regard for the ethics of chemical additives, one wonders what was in that yak butter....

But dsbrandtjr is correct. I used to work at the DuPont plant that made Delrin(R), and it's a terrific material. But if its degraded, it's hard to magically restore its properties.

If the part is simple enough one might find someone to CNC a part. 3D printing of Delrin is difficult (apparently due to poor bed adhesion) but can also be done. Or, just buy a metal FD.

I used to install the Simplex derailleurs in the 70's and never really liked them. But if you have your heart set on a period restoration, good luck!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 02-11-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-12-23, 03:27 AM
Krov9

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Andy, Given the Russian's exceptionally fluid regard for the ethics of chemical additives, one wonders what was in that yak butter....

But dsbrandtjr is correct. I used to work at the DuPont plant that made Delrin(R), and it's a terrific material. But if its degraded, it's hard to magically restore its properties.

If the part is simple enough one might find someone to CNC a part. 3D printing of Delrin is difficult (apparently due to poor bed adhesion) but can also be done. Or, just buy a metal FD.

I used to install the Simplex derailleurs in the 70's and never really liked them. But if you have your heart set on a period restoration, good luck!

If anyone has a clue where to find better structural diagrams of such derailleur, that would be extremely helpful in 3D-modeling the part.

This is the only one I've been able to source so far:

Last edited by Krov9; 02-12-23 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-12-23, 07:59 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Are we stuck on Simplex or period correct 70’s French?
Old 02-12-23, 08:03 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The delrin front derailleurs just don't last. I don't know if I've ever seen one that hasn't cracked. The rear derailleurs on the other hand tend to be OK and it was a pretty good design (other than the plastic) for its day in terms of shifting. They also can handle a surprisingly large freewheel which was unusual for vintage short cage derailleurs. The shimano crane/titlist is a good idea if you have forged simplex drop outs. If the RD is on a hanger, you will have more choices.
Old 02-12-23, 09:28 AM
Krov9

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Are we stuck on Simplex or period correct 70’s French?
Well, the frame's got a threadless, stopless Simplex RD hanger, and I quite like the look of this chainguard

that I found NOS for a dime. I suppose it could be attached to other FDs too, as long as they have the clamp bolt on the drive side
​​​
​​​
Old 02-12-23, 10:02 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
It seems the only way to make these last for decades is to never install them.

Old 02-12-23, 10:14 AM
Krov9

Originally Posted by Chuck M
It seems the only way to make these last for decades is to never install them.

The collector behind disraeligears.co.uk website commented on Simplex's "outstanding ability to grasp the wrong end of every available stick" or something to the effect.

That's very well visible in the example you posted - other side of the clamp is an overbuilt, hefty cast metal piece, while the one that matters, is made of fragile, UV-degrading plastic.
Old 02-12-23, 12:29 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

The other thing is , in asking for dimensional drawings, that Simplex seemed to tweak designs every few months. So in asking for the drawing for a mid-60s FD made of HOM/Acetal, one would have to ask when? 1965 you say? Early or late. The number of revised designs from Simplex is breathtaking.
Old 02-12-23, 01:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 262 Posts
Take off the Simplex units, place in a box in a dark closet, and you will never worry about this matter again.
I 2nd the notion of replacing with Shimano or Suntour. You might try Huret stuff, if you wish to keep the French theme.
Old 02-12-23, 09:32 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
You might try Huret stuff, if you wish to keep the French theme.
here here! I had an Arctic bike (Arctic Cat snowmachines) last summer with a broken jockey wheel on the Simplex derailleur. The Simplex jockey wheel id, bearing and bolts are different sizes from the Japanese brands. I did find a low end Huret Challenger that works fine on the bike. It's French, nearly no plastic and country correct.

Old 02-12-23, 10:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

If anyone has a clue where to find better structural diagrams of such derailleur, that would be extremely helpful in 3D-modeling the part.

This is the only one I've been able to source so far:

Couldn't see the pic, but one other thing: Injection molded parts are generally going to be stronger than 3D printed parts.
Old 02-13-23, 01:31 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts

I've previously used automotive plastic trim conditioners to a good effect on some stuck and dried-out handlebar grips, which are, of course, made of a more rubbery material. Anyhow, that made me wonder if there's something that could be done to those fragile old bits of DuPont Delrin...

​​​​​

​​​
Will this fit? And as the others all point out, "renewing" those Simplexes is a lost cause.
I tear down over a hundred bikes a year.. i rarely find ANY usable simplex pieces. I searched: NOS simplex... you should too.;-) https://www.ebay.com/itm/35457756390...Bk9SR9Lw1prJYQ

Last edited by maddog34; 02-13-23 at 01:41 AM.
Likes For maddog34: