Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frame Question for Fuji Mechanics or Experts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 09:03 PM
evergrey2018
Back on the saddle again.

Bikes: Ultegra 6800 with cracked frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at purchasing a Fuji 2.1 SL frame only for a couple hundred bucks.
Issue is, there are no shifter components for it, it is just a bare frame. As you can tell from this listing, it used Ultegra Di2 for the shifters with Rim brakes.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...condition=GOOD

I was wondering how hard would it be to put my Ultegra 8000 group set on this thing. It has mechanical shifting, not electronic.
Does this frame share the cable routing for the front and rear derailleur as a non-Di2 frame would have?
The only worry I can guess at would be the cable routing under the BB and back thru the frame for the front derailleur.

Am I crazy for wanting to try this update?

Last edited by evergrey2018; 03-27-23 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 11:06 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
If you go closeup on the picture you'll see gray ports near the headtube for cables. Most frames of this type can be built mechanical or Di2. Especially back in 2016.

The problem you are likely to run into is finding all the hardware that allows the cables to go in and out of the frame. You can certainly coble something together, or find a Fuji dealer that has some sitting around, but it may be frustrating.

But if the price is right, maybe you're up for it.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-28-23, 01:23 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
That bike is meant for a full-race bike with a light weight rider...Are you a light weight Racer able to handle a twitchy race bike on downhills? 73* is a Steep head angle. they are known for a cramped, low rider position too... not an option for most older riders, IMO.

If YOU are up to riding a quick steering bike like that, I'd question why you're asking us for info.. Is the deal local or an internet purchase? Buying a super thin CF frame over the internet is risky. I'd want to carefully inspect the frame before purchase..... in the sun... with a magnifying glass.

it should build up into a sub-17 lb. rocket ship...
Old 03-28-23, 07:26 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by maddog34
That bike is meant for a full-race bike with a light weight rider...Are you a light weight Racer able to handle a twitchy race bike on downhills? 73* is a Steep head angle. they are known for a cramped, low rider position too... not an option for most older riders, IMO.

If YOU are up to riding a quick steering bike like that, I'd question why you're asking us for info.. Is the deal local or an internet purchase? Buying a super thin CF frame over the internet is risky. I'd want to carefully inspect the frame before purchase..... in the sun... with a magnifying glass.

it should build up into a sub-17 lb. rocket ship...
None of this is true. 73 is a very standard road bike headtube angle, and is only used in the 54 and larger sizes for this model. Handling is primarily dictated by trail, and the fork offset of 43mm combined with the 73 HTA yields a stable 59mm of trail. For larger frame sizes, 73 is pretty slack. 61cm frames are often 74 degrees (and still stable).

https://archive.fujibikes.com/2016/Fuji/sl-21

The two most predictive indicators of handling are the wheelbase and the trail.
Old 03-28-23, 08:14 PM
evergrey2018
Back on the saddle again.

Bikes: Ultegra 6800 with cracked frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
None of this is true. 73 is a very standard road bike headtube angle, and is only used in the 54 and larger sizes for this model. Handling is primarily dictated by trail, and the fork offset of 43mm combined with the 73 HTA yields a stable 59mm of trail. For larger frame sizes, 73 is pretty slack. 61cm frames are often 74 degrees (and still stable).

I cannot get a picture of the underside of this bike. Thinking I can pull the cable guides off of mine and make them fit the Fuji, but if the bb will not take the underside cable guides for the derailleurs, I might be wasting my money.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-23, 08:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Your second-hand frame might be some missing ferrules and cable stops, but if you're up to hunting around I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions as you get into it.
Old 03-28-23, 08:49 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by evergrey2018
I cannot get a picture of the underside of this bike. Thinking I can pull the cable guides off of mine and make them fit the Fuji, but if the bb will not take the underside cable guides for the derailleurs, I might be wasting my money.
Thanks for the info.
It is internally routed. You can always use full length housing. Some of the newer Shimano front derailleurs even have cable stops.
Old 03-28-23, 09:12 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

ok.. then why did every review i read call the Bike "twitchy" and also say it "steers a bit to fast on downhills"? Maybe everyone else is wrong too? and i'm well aware that sky scraper bikes have Steeper head angles.

i should have left you blocked. bye.
Old 03-28-23, 10:35 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by maddog34
ok.. then why did every review i read call the Bike "twitchy" and also say it "steers a bit to fast on downhills"? Maybe everyone else is wrong too? and i'm well aware that sky scraper bikes have Steeper head angles.

i should have left you blocked. bye.
Because most cyclists just repeat stuff they hear instead of reading up on stuff.

https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/geometry.php

By all means, be angry at me that you are repeating nonsense.
Likes For Kontact: