Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Purchase Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 03:34 PM
Backin2biking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchase Opinions

Looking for some advice about purchasing a new road bike. I have found a leftover 2019 Trek Madone SLR 6 Speed for $4500 (new). Don't know if I should be looking to find something newer (2020/2021). Not desperate to buy something right away but I know that the bike normally retails for $6400. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
Backin2Biking
Old 01-26-21, 04:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Make sure the bike fits and feels decent in the test ride. Do you like the bike? Does it have parts you would want on the bike? If it fulfills those qualifications go for it if not find something else.

Me personally am not a fan of any of the Trek Ademno series but if you enjoy it go for it. The age of parts don't make a huge difference in this case unless there is something specific you want. That is why I like to build from the frame up, I can put whatever I want on it.
Old 01-26-21, 04:22 PM
Backin2biking

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Make sure the bike fits and feels decent in the test ride. Do you like the bike? Does it have parts you would want on the bike? If it fulfills those qualifications go for it if not find something else.

Me personally am not a fan of any of the Trek Ademno series but if you enjoy it go for it. The age of parts don't make a huge difference in this case unless there is something specific you want. That is why I like to build from the frame up, I can put whatever I want on it.
Thanks for the information. Definitely like the bike. I did ride it in a 56 cm originally but it was slightly too big. Found it in a 54 cm and should fit much better. I was definitely looking at bikes with 105 groupset or higher. Was originally looking at some Endurance bikes but I do like that the Madone has the Isospeed to help with vibrations so I can get a more aggressive bike that still has some level of comfort compared to a lightweight race bike.
Thanks again
Old 01-26-21, 04:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Backin2biking
Thanks for the information. Definitely like the bike. I did ride it in a 56 cm originally but it was slightly too big. Found it in a 54 cm and should fit much better. I was definitely looking at bikes with 105 groupset or higher. Was originally looking at some Endurance bikes but I do like that the Madone has the Isospeed to help with vibrations so I can get a more aggressive bike that still has some level of comfort compared to a lightweight race bike.
Thanks again
Yeah 105 or higher is always the way to go on a road bike.

If you like comfort you might consider steel or titanium which can get you some good comfort and a ton more durability without needing Isospeed. Moots makes a nice Ti Frame in the U.S. as do plenty of others like Seven, Lightspeed, Lynksey,...

The Lightspeed Cherohala looks to be pretty nice and can clear some wider tires which is nice and I can get it with Di2 and T47 for $5800 or 105 for $4600. I would own one of those.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-29-21, 12:28 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Backin2biking
Looking for some advice about purchasing a new road bike. I have found a leftover 2019 Trek Madone SLR 6 Speed for $4500 (new). Don't know if I should be looking to find something newer (2020/2021). Not desperate to buy something right away but I know that the bike normally retails for $6400. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
Backin2Biking
If the bike fits you and is in your budget I would buy now. 2021 looks to be just as bad if not worse than 2020 since every major brand has had sizeable price increases on their bikes.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 01-29-21, 02:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
If you dont know if a $4500 bike is what you should buy, then that may be a good indicator that you shouldnt.
I was just in a large sporting goods store this afternoon and saw they have about a dozen drop bar bikes- half road and half adventure/gravel. $900-4000 was the price range for the Fuji, Breezer, and Trek bikes. A local larger bike shop with Trek and Giant as the main brands has drop bar road and gravel bikes in the $2000-5000 range.

Sure there is a shortage of some bikes in some markets. Maybe expand your search radius and/or ask for a bike to be transferred to your store?
You 100% for sure wont find the bike you are looking at to be lacking, but if you dont know if its good for you then it is easily more bike than you need right now.
This is heavily based on your comment that you arent in a hurry to buy anything.
$6400 for that bike is goofy. But some find value in the hypothetical marginal gains while ignoring the engine, so there is a market for anything.
Old 01-29-21, 03:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post21896829
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-29-21, 03:14 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Very little changes from year to year with bikes, generally, unless it's a major facelift. How does it compare to a 2021 one? Are any of those differences worth $1900?
If it's new (still in a box? sat in a bike shop rack?) then there shouldn't be any problems with stuff needing oiled or tire damage or anything.

As mentioned, there's still a massive supply problem with new bikes that isn't going to be going away any time soon, so I'd be inclined to take what's available.
Old 01-31-21, 12:38 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The Madone is a full-on race bike designed for an aggressive position, quick handling and more stiffness than comfort. I'm sure it's a great bike, but make sure this is the bike you really want to ride. So many non-racing people I know buy a race bike and then run a ton of spacers, complain that their neck hurts, salmon up the road with the twitchy handling and get annoyed by the stiff ride and lack of tire clearance.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 01-31-21, 04:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
If you cannot justify spending more & getting the newer bicycle along with waiting for the delivery, then the last year model might be best.

If it were me, I'd make 100% sure it's going to be a great fit before I drop that coin.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
get annoyed by the stiff ride and lack of tire clearance.
How is that something to be annoyed at? Not like it rubs the frame or fork with every rev.
Old 01-31-21, 04:25 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
If you’re confident that 1) your roads are smooth enough that you won’t get beaten up by high pressure skinny tires 2) your lower back is strong enough to hold your torso for hours in a low position... go for it.

For the normal person who’s Getting Back Into Biking, something like the Kona Libre or Sutra is likely to be waaaay more usable on normal roads & streets (and the occasional trails).
Old 02-01-21, 07:57 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
How is that something to be annoyed at? Not like it rubs the frame or fork with every rev.
Sorry, I don't understand. The rim brake 2019 Madone is only officially supposed to fit a 25 (I Googled it), although there are reports you can cram a 28 in there sometimes. Some people want to ride a 30 or even 32 on the road these days, that's not going to possible with this bike. My point is this is something to keep in mind when considering this bike.
Old 02-01-21, 07:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Duplicate topic from the same OP
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post21896829
Old 02-01-21, 02:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Sorry, I don't understand. The rim brake 2019 Madone is only officially supposed to fit a 25 (I Googled it), although there are reports you can cram a 28 in there sometimes. Some people want to ride a 30 or even 32 on the road these days, that's not going to possible with this bike. My point is this is something to keep in mind when considering this bike.
That puts the intended use of parts beyond what it was meant for, but I get it. Just nothing to be annoyed about as it doesn't advertise the fork/frame supporting the larger sizing. That's like me being annoyed if my jeans don't fit after being on a two season donut binge. Only have myself to blame for something like that.