Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

TREK 520 Fan Club

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

TREK 520 Fan Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 09:02 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I'm not sure where the touring bike thread is so I'll just post in this one. Weighed the 520 today, bike with both full racks, full fenders, three bottle cages, Brooks saddle, road morph pump, small dinger bell, and it came to about 34 pounds. I'm just fine with that.
Old 06-12-15, 01:06 PM
Sim2003

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my lovely 520. I bought this a couple of months ago and I am loving the feel of it . I do/did a 5 mile each way commute on my cheaper mongoose 100 which just felt slugish, it was getting a lot of wear and tear from awful road surfaces and bad weather. So I figured I should buy something good and hardy. So I did some research on bike types and looked at lots of reviews which nearly had me going for a Road bike but I'm a fat lad and didn't think the ride position would suit me.

Well anyway I got this and bleedin hell is it a joy to ride. Since getting It I have added 8 miles onto my commute home and recently done a few 25 mile rides and one 33 miler aiming to do 70miles (35+35 in one day outting) next month and 100 (one way) sometime in the future. Enjoy the fact I can pop on my panniers with waterproofs and spare tubes etc and have no real worries when out on the move. I cant say I am very fast on it but I can stay consistant and it rarely feels like im having to struggle with it.

Since doing the longer rides out my commute time has decreased dramatically adding 4-5mph without putting 110% effort in.

One thing I would like though is Mudguards If anyone could give me the name of some that will fit this bike (the disc brakes seem to be the issue) that would be lovely.

Anyone browsing forums to find out if the 520 is the bike for you just go get one its amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0114.jpg (99.5 KB, 523 views)
DSC_0149 - Copy.jpg (101.3 KB, 450 views)
DSC_0265.jpg (95.6 KB, 839 views)
DSC_0255.jpg (75.5 KB, 836 views)
DSC_0201 - Copy.jpg (99.7 KB, 847 views)

Last edited by Sim2003; 09-26-15 at 11:05 AM. Reason: New pictures :)
Old 06-12-15, 01:20 PM
Sim2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bloomrae

I've had this for about a month. Love it!
Hi there I'm wondering mudguards are on your 520 , I am after some myself but unsure which because the fittings seems to be a pain around the Disc brakes. I don't wish to purchase on-line unless I know they fit. Lovely bike btw
Old 06-15-15, 06:57 PM
Bushelofpecks

Bikes: 1985 Fiori Roma, 1996 Marin Bear Valley SE, 2005 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2015 Trek 520 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sim2003
Hi there I'm wondering mudguards are on your 520 , I am after some myself but unsure which because the fittings seems to be a pain around the Disc brakes. I don't wish to purchase on-line unless I know they fit. Lovely bike btw
I installed SKS Longboards on my 2015 Trek 520 Disc. It took thought, patience, and a bit of creativity given the ideal spacers were not to be found at my LBS. The video of installing SKS Longboards from Rivendell Cycles was very helpful. I ended up using a long bolt with lock nuts to achieve the proper offset. I bent the stays by hand. This was the first time I ever installed fenders and it took a few days given the trips back and forth to the LBS as well as other daily "honey do" things. The fenders work really well and very much worth the effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_WZVS9SUY

Attached Images
image1a.jpg (99.4 KB, 936 views)
image2a.jpg (98.0 KB, 865 views)
image3a.jpg (101.1 KB, 861 views)
image4a.jpg (102.3 KB, 854 views)
image5a.jpg (104.7 KB, 848 views)
image6a.jpg (100.2 KB, 851 views)

Last edited by Bushelofpecks; 06-15-15 at 06:58 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 06-15-15, 10:01 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bushelofpecks
I installed SKS Longboards on my 2015 Trek 520 Disc. It took thought, patience, and a bit of creativity given the ideal spacers were not to be found at my LBS. The video of installing SKS Longboards from Rivendell Cycles was very helpful. I ended up using a long bolt with lock nuts to achieve the proper offset. I bent the stays by hand. This was the first time I ever installed fenders and it took a few days given the trips back and forth to the LBS as well as other daily "honey do" things. The fenders work really well and very much worth the effort.

Looks good. One other option you had besides bending the stays around the brake caliper is to shorten them a bit and mount them at the mid-fork eyelets. I did that with my cargo bike and I've seen others do this as well.
Old 06-16-15, 04:16 AM
Sim2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bushelofpecks

Thank you very much for the reply , I literally just booked in at Trek for tomorrow to get them to add them on for me in with my free service (they said they would). 2nd attempt at my service though as no mechanics last time they said to take it. So if they don't get it done tomorrow I will have a little tinker myself.

Cant wait to get out in the wet and not have a soggy bum crack.
Old 07-11-15, 09:39 AM
Von Stively

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, not sure if this is appropriate but considering the 2015. If the stem is angled up and the bike generally fits. Will bars be at or above seat height?
Old 07-11-15, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You Say nada about your saddle height.. I can't guess ..

Hit the Bike shop and look.. you didn't say what the Up angle is .. there's 40's made,

swap to something else if you dont like what comes out of the Box, its just component Parts .

Request an Un Cut steerer on the fork , make the length your choice , after riding a Bunch.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-11-15, 11:36 AM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is probably not the right place to ask this, but I have been looking at the Surly Disc Trucker and the TREK 520 Disc. From a specification perspective they seem to be extremely similar in terms of geometry (comparing the SDT 52 against the Trek 520 Disc 54), with the exception of the wheel size. What I am seeing is a difference in price of over $250 with the SDT being the more expensive bike. Can anyone explain what the Surly has that the Trek is missing? I can't find anything and am giving a lot of thought to ordering the Trek 520 Disc.

This thread is pretty 520 biased, so I thot a great place to ask why people think the Surly is better....at least the Surly LBS seem to think so.

Update: Went to the Surly dealer again to take another ride, the salesperson showed me his personal touring/commuter bike.....guess what? Trek 520 Disc. Jumped on that puppy and took a spin, am sold. So now I will be asking questions on the 520 only......will go down and order mine this week.

Last edited by cyber.snow; 07-11-15 at 01:45 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-03-15, 02:38 PM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks,

I am debating between a Trek 520 disc or non disc, and a Soma (one of the 2 touring bikes they offer).

My big need is being a few inches taller in the head tube/stem area.

Admittedly, I can get a really good deal on the new 520. I like the spec just fine (even though I am disappointed by the down spec of the hubs and front deraileur this year).

Considered the LHT but the lack of being able to put a center double Pletcher stand and it being a little over built has me swaying towards others. However, comfort should be paramount for me.. and that means being more "upright". The head tube on other touring bikes seems longer, and the top tube as well.

Anyone stack the bars up high? Change out to a taller or shorter stem"? Add Albatross or other more 'upright' bars? I want to buy one, but want to know I can work it out for my bad back.
I would get it fitted from a shop.

I have a hard time finding pictures of taller stems on these bikes, but there is a ton all over the net of the Long Haul.
Old 08-03-15, 05:57 PM
Bent_on_Touring

Bikes: 2007 Gary Fisher Cobia, 2009 Kona Ute, 1997 Trek 520, 1996 Mongoose Crossway 450

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1997ish 520; new to me

Picked up this garage ornament a couple of weeks ago. Now to make it mine...
Attached Images
IMG_1707.jpg (72.3 KB, 906 views)
Old 08-03-15, 07:54 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djkenney, you can put a center double pletcher kickstand on a Surly.....it is the only kickstand that Surly will recommend as it comes with a set of plastic buffers to keep the tubing from being bent.

But can you use one on the Trek 520?
Old 08-03-15, 11:38 PM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyber.snow
djkenney, you can put a center double pletcher kickstand on a Surly.....it is the only kickstand that Surly will recommend as it comes with a set of plastic buffers to keep the tubing from being bent.

But can you use one on the Trek 520?

You are correct. The Pletscher is seen on several on line pics. The 520 interested me for it's lighter weight and the deal I could get. The LHT for the longer head tube and larger tire clearance. I like to sit up.
Old 08-10-15, 06:07 AM
hillikus

Bikes: 09 Motobecane Fantom CX, Trek YSL-CC, 05-Giant STP2, 73 Schwinn World Voyageur, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Sports(his and hers), 1984 Trek 520

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retro-modding a 1984 Trek 520 that was pulled from a basement. Was in rough condition when I got it, and took a few weeks to get the seat post out, but it's starting to look decent for commutouring. Not quite sure yet how I feel about the VO Porteur bars, I wanted a more upright riding position but I can fairly easily hit my knees on the bars now. Wonder if I should have went with some Albatross or North Roads.

Original picture from the seller:

As she sits now:
Old 11-04-15, 09:26 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because I'm excited about soon purchasing a Trek 520. Please keep posting pictures of your 520s!
Old 11-05-15, 03:47 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a green new 2015 Trek 520. Love the ride.

I do need to work out the bars and height. The stock stem feels too long for me. I am stretched a little more than I like. I added a Dimension stem extender and that has helped some.

I also want some brakes on the flats, much like some touring and cross bikes have. Anyone recommend a quality set up?

I might put wider handlebars in general, if I stick with drops. Otherwise, Joe bars or some Nitto Albatross I have looking for a home. I figured the stock shifters would look nice at the bar ends, too.

I will keep the stock saddle, for now. I have a near new condition Selle classic touring saddle off a Bridgestone MB5 I can try if this one ends up feeling to thin.
Old 11-08-15, 08:22 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

I look forward to contributing pictures to this thread in a couple of weeks. I'm putting a deposit on a Trek 520 on Tuesday afternoon. Details are in the thread I started here in the Touring section titled New Math Tonight: n+1=n. Woo hoo!
Old 11-16-15, 08:35 PM
kylakemike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have the same one purchased from a forum member. An excellent decision on my part. Love that bike.

Originally Posted by Bent_on_Touring
Picked up this garage ornament a couple of weeks ago. Now to make it mine...
Old 11-25-15, 03:33 PM
Trek Al

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About to despair of finding a 520 frame to replace the one I broke beyond repair in a crash. Need one in 21 inch or 53 cm. Most are complete bikes on Ebay and I want to put my components on. Beginning to think about getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker but will have to go to a 56 cm frame to use my 700 Mavic wheels, that frame is a little big for a good fit. If anyone knows of a good frame only in my size for sale, please let me know.
Old 11-25-15, 10:59 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by djkenny
Hi folks,

I am debating between a Trek 520 disc or non disc, and a Soma (one of the 2 touring bikes they offer).

My big need is being a few inches taller in the head tube/stem area.

Admittedly, I can get a really good deal on the new 520. I like the spec just fine (even though I am disappointed by the down spec of the hubs and front deraileur this year).

Considered the LHT but the lack of being able to put a center double Pletcher stand and it being a little over built has me swaying towards others. However, comfort should be paramount for me.. and that means being more "upright". The head tube on other touring bikes seems longer, and the top tube as well.

Anyone stack the bars up high? Change out to a taller or shorter stem"? Add Albatross or other more 'upright' bars? I want to buy one, but want to know I can work it out for my bad back.
I would get it fitted from a shop.

I have a hard time finding pictures of taller stems on these bikes, but there is a ton all over the net of the Long Haul.
I have a 2005 520 and I added a $20 stem riser. I also added a long steep (don't remember the angle) stem and I love it. I'll find a picture and send it.
Old 11-26-15, 11:37 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would love to see it. I added a 7 MM rise short stem. Helped a lot combined with the Dimension stem riser. Need a few more rides, but my 30 min commute proved a lot more comfortable. The 520 seems more aggressive in stock form than some touring bikes, does it not? Lovely riding bike.
Old 11-27-15, 02:41 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Oh I love those green 520's! I miss mine.. it was a 97 or 98. That bike rode great, although it did get a bit noodly on rough downhills with a load. Mine had a 110/74 trekking crank up front (24-34-46) and a 7 spd 13-30 in the back (came with 12-28). I know the years around 2001-2005 or so had more road bike-ish gearing.. Anyone know what the major changes (if any) of the 520 have been the last few years? I haven't kept up.

I also had a Cannondale T2000 which was a great bike but I didnt like the STI shifters and anyway I sold it when I moved here to SE Asia. I'm returning to the States soon and I'd like to buy a lightly used 520 - want good gearing (for loaded touring in the west) and bar end shifters, and probably the disc brakes too.

Thanks..

Last edited by mtnroads; 11-27-15 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-27-15, 05:25 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I just looked up the info on the Trek 520 major changes during the past 8-10 years.

Looks like 2009 was the big re-design year when they went back to a trekking crank, instead of 105/tiagra road cranks. And they changed to the current frame with the sloping top tube and taller head tube. Um, and that awful rootbeer color (apologies if you like it).. Looks like some other detail changes but those were the biggies.

Then in 2012 it had a new color and in 12 or 13 possibly some downgraded components (hubs and rear derailleur went from LX to plain Deore, and it lost the Diacompe brake levers with those oh-so comfortable hoods). The disc model was introduced in 2015. Nice.

Last edited by mtnroads; 11-29-15 at 12:25 AM. Reason: error correction
Old 12-02-15, 09:46 PM
Bassmanbob

My new 520 had its maiden voyage to work and back today. I'm loving this bike. Compared to my Cannondale supersix evo 3, it's like driving a swift and nimble tank. Possible first three day tour next month.

Picture red as soon as I figure out how to post them.

Last edited by Bassmanbob; 12-02-15 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 11:40 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek Al
About to despair of finding a 520 frame to replace the one I broke beyond repair in a crash. Need one in 21 inch or 53 cm. Most are complete bikes on Ebay and I want to put my components on. Beginning to think about getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker but will have to go to a 56 cm frame to use my 700 Mavic wheels, that frame is a little big for a good fit. If anyone knows of a good frame only in my size for sale, please let me know.
Just call Trek. They'll replace it. I did this with a 80s Trek 420. They sent me a 2012 520 frame. No issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.