Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

POP! Well crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 08:46 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
POP! Well crap

I was doing some basic maintenance on a couple of my bikes today. One bike, my Trek Lexa, needed a little TLC. I happen to notice a slight wobble on the rear wheel when it was free-wheeling so I broke out the spoke tightener to see if I could true it a bit. As it turned out a couple of the spoke nuts just crumbled when I tried to tighten them. I do have a small supply so off comes the tire/tube and I remove the old nuts and install new ones. I get everything back together and I put the wheel back on the bike to try truing it again. I have an even more noticeable wobble now but that's not a surprise given I just replaced two nuts. So I go about loosening here, tightening there when all of a sudden I hear POP! Get to looking around and this is what I found.

Well ****. This is a Bontrager RaceLite wheel. Anybody know if just the hub is available? I did a quick interweb search and came up with some info, but no source for just the hub. If not, then I guess I'm shopping for a new wheel. At least I have other bikes to keep me going. This bike has more or less just been a back-up bike for a while now anyway.
Old 08-10-22, 08:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
That'll cut the bicycle weight down lol
I'd look an ebay for a replacement if that's the route you want to take.
Personally, I'd just replace the wheel assembly for a new one. You've earned it!
Old 08-10-22, 09:08 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
That'll cut the bicycle weight down lol
I'd look an ebay for a replacement if that's the route you want to take.
Personally, I'd just replace the wheel assembly for a new one. You've earned it!
Replacing the whole wheel will have to wait a while. Still just an unemployed nursing student with tuition and books due here in the next month.
Old 08-10-22, 10:17 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Crap indeed. At least is wasn’t on a ride
Likes For Cdst:
Old 08-10-22, 11:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Is this the same hub?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36390475726...UAAOSwcXpizC7F

Personally, I would just save up for a new wheel (or wheelset). It looks like the elements have gotten to that hub, which means they have probably gotten to the other hub, nipples, and spokes too.
Old 08-11-22, 02:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Is this the same hub?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36390475726...UAAOSwcXpizC7F

Personally, I would just save up for a new wheel (or wheelset). It looks like the elements have gotten to that hub, which means they have probably gotten to the other hub, nipples, and spokes too.
Yes, and assuming a shop were to do the rebuild with a new hub, the cost probably wouldn’t be much more than to just buy the new wheelset.
Old 08-11-22, 05:49 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
try Craigslist for a local person selling wheels or wheelsets? My local listing frequently has them for fair prices. Perhaps use your student status to haggle a better price. Good luck.
Old 08-11-22, 06:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
At least you have other bikes to ride. I know the pain of having to wait to find funds for bike stuff. A few years ago a non-profit bike co-op opened in town with very low cost used parts, and low cost refurbished bikes. Like $20 for a rear wheel, plus $5 to transfer the gears.

Maybe there's a place like that near you?
Old 08-11-22, 06:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
At least you have other bikes to ride. I know the pain of having to wait to find funds for bike stuff. A few years ago a non-profit bike co-op opened in town with very low cost used parts, and low cost refurbished bikes. Like $20 for a rear wheel, plus $5 to transfer the gears.

Maybe there's a place like that near you?
​​​​​​https://renobikeproject.org/sales/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-11-22, 07:14 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yes, and assuming a shop were to do the rebuild with a new hub, the cost probably wouldn’t be much more than to just buy the new wheelset.
Added to that: No shop would rebuild the wheel with the original spokes
Old 08-11-22, 08:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Added to that: No shop would rebuild the wheel with the original spokes
Yeah, that was certainly part of my calculation, new spokes and nipples. Around here, a rebuild could be $200 in labor and spokes, plus the cost of the hub, so at that point, I’d rather just spend the money on a new wheelset, probably upgrade in some way (looks, weight, aero) and not have to worry about the front wheel condition.

Getting a new wheelset for around $200 (assuming 700c rim brake) should not be a problem.
Old 08-11-22, 08:20 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Yeah, that was certainly part of my calculation, new spokes and nipples. Around here, a rebuild could be $200 in labor and spokes, plus the cost of the hub, so at that point, I’d rather just spend the money on a new wheelset, probably upgrade in some way (looks, weight, aero) and not have to worry about the front wheel condition.

Getting a new wheelset for around $200 (assuming 700c rim brake) should not be a problem.
x2.

IDK if it's just from my experience, but even if the customer brought in the correct new parts (aside from a hub) to rebuild an existing bare rim, the LBS will likely reject the work. Supplying a hub might be hit or miss for them to accept the work, but I have been turned away more than once when supplying my own (brand new) spokes/nipples.
The same LBS's that turned me away, didn't mind me bringing them the wheel assembly assembled to have them tension/true it. Kinda weird, but I sorta understand it.
Old 08-11-22, 08:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6213 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Replacing the whole wheel will have to wait a while. Still just an unemployed nursing student with tuition and books due here in the next month.
Check your area for a co-op. They usually have wheels that will work for cheap.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-22, 08:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Sadly, as others said above, re-building this wheel is poorly spent money. If the rim is in good shape,you could save it and have a new wheel built with it, new spokes and new or used hub. If it were me, I'd go to a coop, find used Shimano hub, Ultegra or 105, and build around it. Hubs have very little room for speed improvement. You can get a small amount of weight reduction but not much else. But, hubs absolutely have to work. Those Shimanos are the ho-hum hubs that work forever. Research the models that take you cassette. Number of spokes to match your rim if you plan to re-use it.

Cheaper almost certainly is to buy a wheel off Craig's List or elsewhere. I'd still stay Shimano. (I say this despite having owned exactly one Shimano rear hub in 50 years. I started French, then Campagnolo, Sanshin on the Fuji I raced and for years after. When I went cassette it was to Campy because the Shimano shifters simply do not work for me. But I have several front Shimano hubs. Not much to say about them except boring. All I do is ride them, wipe the road grime off and every few years, replace the brake-worn rims.)
Old 08-11-22, 08:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=6204
Old 08-11-22, 08:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Unless you provide the labor to rebuild the wheel around a new hub, I suspect the cost of replacing the entire wheel would be comparable to that of paying a wheel builder to rebuild the wheel for you.
Old 08-11-22, 08:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I use to tighten spokes and true my own wheels. Then I started to realize how some spokes could be way over tensioned and others very loose and the wheel be perfectly true.

Not wishing to get more special tools, I decided to just let the LBS deal with my wheels and spokes. They seldom charge very much, even if the wheels take some time for them to go over.

Not much help for your current issue. However, you should go to a LBS and find out what their solution might be and how much they say it'd cost. When my son tacoed his front wheel, they found a less expensive but similar quality wheel for a very decent price.

And maybe take them your other wheels too and let them check the tensions to be sure they aren't about to do the same or other disaster.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-11-22 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 10:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
If your rim is still good, it is possible to rebuild with a conventional 24 hole hub. I have done this, but it took a bit of calculating. What I did was to lace the drive side with the same length spokes and laced the non drive side with about a 10mm differential between the leading and trailing spokes.
If you can source a paired spoke hub, that would be preferable.
Old 08-11-22, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Unless you provide the labor to rebuild the wheel around a new hub, I suspect the cost of replacing the entire wheel would be comparable to that of paying a wheel builder to rebuild the wheel for you.

Guess I'd be a bit nervous about DIY on this if I managed to break the hub by tightening spokes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-11-22, 10:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Oof! Which is worse, tuition or nursing books?

This is the price range I was thinking of, though you might want to add $20 to have a shop check the tension. You might be able to beat that price buying a single wheel, especially if there's a coop nearby.
Old 08-11-22, 11:44 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Agreed. I just figured, based on her past posts, that she is the type to do much of her own wrenching. Of course, I still wouldn't recommend it considering the spokes and rims are probably on borrowed time as well.
Old 08-11-22, 12:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bike co-ops in Las Vegas and VegasJen lives 50 miles west of the Las Vegas valley. There are few used wheels available on our local CL. There is a pair of Vuelta wheels on CL for $100 in North Las Vegas. That seems to be it for an affordable replacement.
Old 08-11-22, 12:40 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Well, maybe not.
I have a Mavic rear wheel for Shimano 11 speed cassette (you would need a spacer for your 8 speed) that was only used indoors on a trainer. 20 spoke count with flat bladed spokes. No skewer. I can get a shipping quote, and you can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 08-11-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 01:21 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Anybody know if just the hub is available? I did a quick interweb search and came up with some info, but no source for just the hub.
What is the model of the hub? You may be able to get away with a different hub which has similar dimensions. The most important one is PCD - diameter of the circle spoke holes are on. It affects the spoke length more or less on a 1:1 ratio. Flange offset is less important.

For example, many Shimano hubs have 44 or 45mm PCD. I was able to successfully rebuild a rim brake wheelset using Shimano T610 hubs to disc brake using M6000 hubs.
Old 08-11-22, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, maybe not.
I have a Mavic rear wheel for Shimano 11 speed cassette (you would need a spacer for your 8 speed) that was only used indoors on a trainer. 20 spoke count with flat bladed spokes. No skewer. I can get a shipping quote, and you can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know.

that is a very generous offer. very kind of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.