Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

80mm 45 degree stem

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

80mm 45 degree stem

Old 03-05-22, 08:38 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They are ugly, and also heavy, but an adjustable stem would do what the o.p. wants. I do concur, however, with any opinion that suggests that there really is more than one way to skin this particular cat. The laser focus on an 80mm/45deg is hindering any thinking outside the box.
This. I had a customer come in once who'd been told he needed a bike with a 22" top tube. Had his tape measure and wouldn't consider any bike that had something different. I told him he was drastically limiting his choices and in the end would probably wind up disappointed.
Old 03-05-22, 08:44 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Ritchey makes a an adjustable 90mm stem which can go to 55 degrees. Remember the sharper the angle (upward) the closer the stem will be.
Also remember that 80 mm@ 45 my not be the perfect setting.
I've got two bicycles with these on them. I originally bought one to find a good fit on both the bikes, but its fabricated substantially enough that I just left it on as the full-time stem and bought another for the other bike.
Old 03-07-22, 05:34 PM
TheFort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm so confused on the 80mm/45 degree stem. I'm looking at the ergotec website. They have a 70mm/45 and even a 55mm/45. Why doesn't anyone make an 80/45? Is there something about that combo that makes it impossible to manufacture?
Old 03-07-22, 06:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by TheFort
I'm so confused on the 80mm/45 degree stem. I'm looking at the ergotec website. They have a 70mm/45 and even a 55mm/45. Why doesn't anyone make an 80/45? Is there something about that combo that makes it impossible to manufacture?
Maybe you've found a niche market and can make and sell them to all the other people you've seen asking for this particular combo.

If it's not just a shortage of inventory, then probably its a lack of demand.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-07-22, 06:07 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Why get so hung up on the numbers? If you need 10 mm, change your handlebars. I run the Ergotec Moon Cruiser 31.8 bars myself, with 50 mm of rise, but there are a bunch of bars on that same website with varying degrees of back sweep and rise, they're nice and safe with good German quality and they're cheap. I had a High Charisma 110 mm stem from that website that I used with a Jones bar, and I could have dropped the ends of that bar by 30 mm to make it an 80 mm stem in effect, had I been after an 80 mm stem myself. If you can't find an 80 mm stem, use a 90 mm stem and take 10 mm off your steerer tube, or twist your bars downwards by 10 mm, maybe try not to get hung up on a single measurement and work with what is easily available.
Old 03-07-22, 06:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Don't know what type bike you have, but riser bars might add the height you need with a different stem. 30mm of rise is typical for riser type drop bars on a road bike. With a 25° rise and 60 mm long stem, that would put your hands in the same position as the stem with 45° rise and 80 mm length.

The 70mm and 45 rise stem you mentioned is only 7 mm lower and closer. Just a tad over 1/4" difference than the holy grail you are seeking.
Old 03-07-22, 07:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time finding an 80mm 45 degree stem. I'm somewhat new to biking, so my question are: (1) does anyone make this stem and (2) do you know of anywhere it's in stock? I can find 80mm 35 and 90mm 45 everywhere, but I can't find 80/45!

Thank you
Are you using drop bars or a flat bar/alternate bar?
Old 03-13-22, 04:18 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Are you using drop bars or a flat bar/alternate bar?
Drop bars. I really prefer them.
Old 03-13-22, 04:20 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So I put a 90mm adjustable stem and maxed it out at 60 degrees. It was really nice to have no pain for once. Problem is it's a cheapo from Amazon that weighs 350g.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a high end, light weight adjustable stem with that kind of range? I'm willing to fork over some dough since it seems like what I need.
Old 03-13-22, 06:58 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I'm somewhat new to biking....
A different riding position with a new bike requires time to adapt. Professional bike fitters account for it.

It might be prudent to give it a month or two dealing with some discomfort before changing anything. There's a very good chance that discomfort will go away completely within that period.

If I don't ride my bike for one month (doing indoor trainer work for instance, unable to ride outside), I get sore neck and shoulders the first time I go back riding. It will go away completely after a week or two of daily riding.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 03-13-22, 07:14 PM
PDKL45

Check Analog: Stems (analogcycles.com) The guy is obsessed with long frames and high, short stems with drop bars; he is NOT a fan of low trail bikes. In fact, he has issued a fatwah (Debunking Low Trail (analogcycles.com)) against low trail bikes; rumor says Jan Heine cried when he read it. Dude's not short on opinions: True Facts (analogcycles.com) He also doesn't like cheap, mass-produced high rise stems much either. Needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by PDKL45; 03-13-22 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 03-21-22, 10:00 AM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks everyone. If anyone sees a fixed stem that's 90mm and 60 degrees in your shopping excursions online please remember me and link it here.

I can't stand the weight and feel of the adjustable stem. The best compromise I am finding is a 80mm 45 degree stem, and I might have to run unsafe washers to get the stack higher. Short torso sucks!
Old 03-21-22, 06:07 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I think someone mentioned this but some companies make bars with a rise. I have a Specialized carbon one but they make alloy too (Hover). Redshift Sports does too, I think. That will give you additional height anyway...20mm-25mm.
Old 08-14-22, 08:44 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
You're going to struggle to find an 80 mm stem at 45 degrees.

Why not just go for one of the Ergotec 90 mm stems? A few of these would work just fine.

Products - Ergotec
If there is a reasonably priced 31.8 110-130mm High Charisma stem out there, I am all ears. I might have to bite the bullet on a V.O. happy stem otherwise. Pricing has gone nuts.
Old 08-14-22, 09:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
That’s one of the wildest collections of stems I’ve ever seen.

I can’t help but think there’s a significant bike fit problem here. I’ve never seen an outlier part installed on a bike that wasn’t some kind of work around for an improper fit. I don’t know the details, but this one seems odd.
Some people just need a different fit from the norm, and outlier stems and spacers are the way to deal with it. And in many cases there is really no downside other than fashion.

Of course, 80mm at 40 deg is getting the bars really close to the steering axis. That may or may not be a problem not knowing what the bar setup is. But sometime you gotta do what you gotta do.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-14-22, 10:10 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
So I put a 90mm adjustable stem and maxed it out at 60 degrees. It was really nice to have no pain for once. Problem is it's a cheapo from Amazon that weighs 350g.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a high end, light weight adjustable stem with that kind of range? I'm willing to fork over some dough since it seems like what I need.
This company on Ebay says they can make you a custom 45deg titanium stem in lengths from 50mm-120mm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393046995459
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-14-22, 12:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
From reading your posts here, I think you may already be familiar with using a stem calculator.

Have you looked into other stem rise/length combos along with changes in spacers (more or fewer) that would five you the same change you are looking for?
Old 08-18-22, 07:00 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
If there is a reasonably priced 31.8 110-130mm High Charisma stem out there, I am all ears. I might have to bite the bullet on a V.O. happy stem otherwise. Pricing has gone nuts.
Look on eBay, there used to be cheap ones from the UK. Also check the German online retailers like Bike24 etc. Just Google it and see what comes up in the results, from online sellers, as you can often find the best deals doing that, rather than searching specific sites.
Old 08-18-22, 09:00 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Some people just need a different fit from the norm, and outlier stems and spacers are the way to deal with it. And in many cases there is really no downside other than fashion.
That's exactly it. And it has to do with anatomy. If you have a short torso and long legs, there is no bike on earth that will fit you properly unless you go custom. You'd be in severe pain if you rode one off the rack without an extreme stem, actually. Cyclists are the biggest dorks caring about what some other guy's stem looks like. The culture needs a massive overhaul. I don't know why it has attracted so many dorky snobs.

On the plus side, I got this bike dialed in near perfectly. I had to go with a 90mm, 65 degree stem, and 40mm of spacers. There is zero fit problem or any other nonsense. I simply have the legs of a 6"2 man and the torso of a 5"7 man! Now that I'm comfortable, I can bike hundreds of miles...and fast. I bet I could blow away a lot of the dorky snobs.
Old 08-18-22, 09:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I have the 90mm Ritchie one. It is high quality, but by no means lightweight. The cheapo ones are dangerous.

It helped us figure out that my wife needs a 100mm 6° stem. All of our assumptions about needing short reach and high rise were incorrect.

FWIW, she is 5'7" with long legs and short torso, and is on a 52 frame (Sage Barlow).

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 08-18-22 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-18-22, 09:27 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have the 90mm Ritchie one. It is high quality, but by no means lightweight. The cheapo ones are dangerous.

It helped us figure out that my wife needs a 100mm 6° stem. All of our assumptions about needing short reach and high rise were incorrect.

FWIW, she is 5'7" with long legs and short torso, and is on a 52 frame (Sage Barlow).
Nice. No stem shaming here!

p.s. Why are they dangerous?
Old 08-18-22, 09:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Nice. No stem shaming here!

p.s. Why are they dangerous?
Many years ago I got a cheap one on Amazon, and it loosened and slipped while my kid was riding fast down a hill. Fortunately he managed to keep control and stop the bike.

The Ritchie one cannot slip. You have to take the whole thing apart to change the angle, which is inconvenient, but far safer. I recommend one like that if you or anyone should require an adjustable stem.

A lot of bike fitting winds up being counter-intuitive, as you have probably discovered. We just assumed we would need a lot of stack and an extreme stem. She wound up being more comfortable with 30mm of spacers and a totally conventional stem.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-18-22, 10:00 PM
TheFort

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
A lot of bike fitting winds up being counter-intuitive, as you have probably discovered. We just assumed we would need a lot of stack and an extreme stem. She wound up being more comfortable with 30mm of spacers and a totally conventional stem.
Yeah a lot of that is your preferred riding position and back flex, too. My back isn't super flexible, and therefore I prefer a touring position. So that leads to a more extreme stem. I don't know her preferences for riding, but her stem suggests somewhere in between low and upright. That is also great. A great stem is one that gets people comfortable on their bikes and out biking.

I have a cheap one, so I'll have to make sure to check the bolts on it more often. Thanks for the head's up. If a name brand makes one with the angle I need I'd gladly pay up. But they're about 10 degrees short last I looked. The only one that was 65 degrees was a cheapo no-name brand. I love that stem, though. It's allowed me to rack up thousands of miles in the past few months when before that I was on the cusp of giving up this bike.
Old 08-21-22, 07:12 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Look on eBay, there used to be cheap ones from the UK. Also check the German online retailers like Bike24 etc. Just Google it and see what comes up in the results, from online sellers, as you can often find the best deals doing that, rather than searching specific sites.
Hi, I had been searching around some Euro sites for that Ergotec. Many are sold out in the length I was looking for. It's the postage that kills. Did you know they made a 130mm too? Ergotec doesn't have much presence stateside and none here in Canada. Been checking Oivey, nothing much there. Was considering BikeInn but I wanted to get the bike rideable this year before the snow flies.
Old 08-21-22, 09:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Was considering BikeInn but I wanted to get the bike rideable this year before the snow flies.
Implying that BikeInn have a reputation of being slow?

I just ordered something from them on Friday, my first order with them. Today is Sunday, and apparently the parcel has been "created". So far, a speedy response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.