Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My New Bike Commute!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My New Bike Commute!

Old 07-23-22, 07:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
My New Bike Commute!

Last edited by BobbyG; 07-24-22 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-24-22, 08:04 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Great video, looks like a nice route for the most part. How do you feel about the the Cimarron interchange and Midland trail routing now that it's all finished? Its been a little over two years since I moved away from the Springs myself and the way that was planned and built still makes me a little unhappy...
Old 07-25-22, 06:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by lasauge
Great video, looks like a nice route for the most part. How do you feel about the the Cimarron interchange and Midland trail routing now that it's all finished? Its been a little over two years since I moved away from the Springs myself and the way that was planned and built still makes me a little unhappy...
For the first few years after America the Beautiful Park was built there was path on the north side that tunneled west under I-25 and connected directly to the Midland Trail. Since I mostly rode that way, I was miffed when they filled it in and relocated the east-west path to the south end of the park (which is what you see in the video). It meant a little more pedaling for me to get on the Midland Trail, but it was a more scenic and less hidden, so in theory, safer. It also makes easy access to Cimmaron at Sawatch which is where the new Wiedner Soccer field is, home of the Switchbacks pro team.

Also since you moved, there is a bridge over the train tracks east of ATB park that leads to the new Olympic/Paralympic museum, where the old Chrissy-Fowler Hardware/Lumber complex was, and a new tallest-in-the-Springs 'high-rise' is planned.

As with any trail system that follows waterways, there are problems with homeless camps. Not the people necessarily, but the resultant trash, and path-blocking sprawl. The city has teams working on these issues, but as is the case in many, many cities, there is no easy, humane solution.

The amount of bike infrastructure added in just the last 2 years is pretty amazing. Bike lanes everywhere! Although there's also more traffic and people as well.
Old 08-02-22, 08:55 AM
james89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Great video
Old 08-02-22, 09:50 AM
Victor626

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great video what did you record it with?
Old 08-02-22, 03:32 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by Victor626
Great video what did you record it with?
I've got a Ghost XL Drift cam on my helmet. It has a rotating lens, which is important if it isn't going to mount exactly horizontal. It's got 8 hours of battery life, and can handle stupid large memory cards. The video's only 1080 and okay, but I think there are others with better stabilization.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-06-22, 07:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
nice route!
futz the distance? sorry if I missed it
like the bike lanes!
lot's of trails off the roadways! any chance they will plow those in the winter?
out of retirement?
Old 08-06-22, 07:37 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice route!
futz the distance? sorry if I missed it
like the bike lanes!
lot's of trails off the roadways! any chance they will plow those in the winter?
out of retirement?
The direct route distance is 5.7-5.9 miles...my folding bike's wireless speedometer seems less accurate than the other wired units. I suppose I could GPS it.
The city usually doesn't plow the bike lanes, because they usually don't plow the surface streets. Up here in the high country (6500') The overnight snow up to 4" is usually melted/evaporated by lunch, and almost certainly gone by the next day's lunch. Even so, I've got the studded snow tires for those occasions where the snow stays around (like on the side streets in the shade).

I wasn't retired. The audio/video production business I worked for closed at the end of 2020, and I freelanced for 18 months before landing the new job at a local TV/Radio/Web broadcaster. I don't see retirement happening for many years.
Likes For BobbyG: