Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fnhon bike stolen today

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fnhon bike stolen today

Old 10-30-22, 07:50 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
Very interesting map. Based on the data I m shorter than avg for the northern hemisphere. No wonder I have problems finding a bike that fits me. It also explains why minivelo s are not available in North America.
That article points out that North America and Europe as a whole have the highest mean height, but also the largest standard deviation. The so-called Bell curve (Gaussian in stats speak) is more flattened out or less peaky there.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-30-22, 07:56 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
So I ´m not the only one looking for a smaller bike
Old 02-19-23, 10:23 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
The thing I like about foldies is they are atypical,
A side folder can get locked easier and may be less attractive. to a thief. They tend to be heavy and awkward for me to tote, @Nyah.
Can be done . I have 3 Dahons and favor the Brom , unless its a longer ride where the 20" is smoother. I need to strap them the keep them from unfolding, which adds to the rolling prob.
Get more flack because of their folded size in stores and restaurants, and trains. Brommies with cover really helps avoid conflicts.
I'll bungee them to a two wheel folding cart for irregular hauling in sketchy spots or more than a few blocks, or use my Burley Travoy, I have one affixed to my brommie rack,
Brommie is a PITA on carpeted halls and irregular pavements in its native state. Used to carry it with a sling,which the heftier 20" bikes make painful, and I'm too cheap for a Sidewinder.
Theft protection IS a big deal, but I am not going to ride a crappy bike more than a few blocks at most. Just no pleasure in it.
It has a lot to do with distance. 12" bike for a few blocks, 16" to 3-5m, 20" 5-10, >10miles 26" or 700c. You can do anything on anything, but...
I like that Pewar chain, I used a Fugitit but left it chained to the rack at work, rather than tote it. Damn things need a trailer.
Personally I group foldies into : Luggable, Stashable, Packable and Portable , each with its own best uses and limitations.
I have no qualms about tossing m ybig road bike over my shoulder, walking it through a store , or putting the bars over the side of a shopping cart .
Never been stpped in a store. Heck , here they don't even bother shoplifters, these days,.
If I have to be protected from angle grinder thieves, I don't need a lock, I need the police protection or a weapon.

re: abus

Nut Splitter vs. Abus Bordo X-Plus 6500 LockPickingLawyer

AND

Last edited by bikebikebike; 02-28-23 at 12:10 AM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 05-13-23, 08:59 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The whole idea of carrying a bicycle as I walk around a store is unappealing to me. Thus my initial purchase research considered bicycles that could be rolled while folded. Side-folders generally can be rolled while folded. I do it all the time. The magnet holds the fold together. I don't know how that's not happening for someone. Maybe they haven't tried it with the handlepost unfolded. The handlebars make a good handle in that scenario: