Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1X road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1X road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 07:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Bah Humbug PeteHski tomato coupe For me, the big chain ring and second largest cog combo is still noisy, but noticeably less so than big / big, so whether I shift onto the small ring on not depends on the upcoming terrain.

The noise is a function of chain angle, which is affected by both the chain line and the chain stay length. My road bike has relatively short chain stays which increases the chain angle while cross-chaining. My gravel bike has longer chain stays, but the resulting decrease in chain angle is offset by the increase in chain angle from the increased chain line of the GRX crankset.

I read somewhere that an SRAM Red 22 chain is more tolerant of cross-chaining. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that implies that the links in that chain has more lateral movement, which I am not sure is a good thing.