Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feverish after a 60 Km ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-28-23, 12:20 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts

Well this happened to me for the first time in my life on two wheels. I did a 68 Km ride yesterday. It was tough due to lots of head on wind during most of the ride. But, for the first time in my life, after an hour or so post ride, I got feverish with something like 37.5 to 38 deg C, sneezing like a cat and eyes shore red. What the heck was that? Could that be a spring time thing? First time this happened to me.
Old 05-28-23, 01:51 AM
papaki72

O.k. I think I got it! I just realized that my bottle is almost full. I think I forgot to hydrate and hence the effect! As there is a change of season to warmer, I forgot to compensate for that.
Old 05-28-23, 02:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Interesting. Hard exercise on a hot day can raise the body temperature somewhat, but I'd think it would come back down post ride fairly quickly.

A couple of decades ago I ran two marathons. What struck me was at the finish line the space blankets sure were nice. I was so tired that I couldn't fully regulate the body temperature. I think a little chilly.

I've never had quite that same feeling on a bicycle. But, perhaps it could happen.

High temperatures and lack of fluids could mean you were getting "heat exhaustion" (not clinically heat stroke yet).
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-28-23, 06:39 AM
papaki72

Yes, I believe it was something like nearing to a heat stroke. Strangely, it never felt like that post ride. Even the sleep after that was bad, feeling too hot, dry mouth, shore-redish eyes.
Old 05-28-23, 10:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
60 kilometers is about 42 miles. I would have drank about 2½ bottles, if I'd ridden that far solo.

Don't know if that's why you were feverish, but it sounds plausible. Usually if I don't hydrate adequately, I feel very tired and drowsy afterward. Sometimes for days after. Usually it's when I work in the yard or mow the grass that I don't hydrate properly. On the bike I've got it nailed down so well that I leave and return from my rides with little weight loss. Less than about a pound. Even for 3+ hour rides.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-28-23, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Sweat is what cools us. No sweat, no cooling. When you get so dehydrated that you're getting close to heat stroke, you stop sweating. That doesn't seem like the smartest thing for your body to do, but that's what it does. So I watch my forearms. Dry forearms means I'm in deep doo-doo. Not good, need shade and water NOW. That's the only issue I have with wearing sun sleeves. Before I get dry forearms, I've also stopped peeing. No pee, need water.
Old 05-28-23, 12:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I can usually do up to about 20 miles without water, but beyond that I like to have a bit of water... And if hot, quite a bit of water.

Temperature outside will make a difference, and perhaps humidity.

One particularly hot century plus ride hit 100°+ degrees by mid afternoon. For that ride I had two 33 oz water bottles plus a camel back pack, and needed to refill a couple of times.

Usually I can do, perhaps a 32 oz bottle every 40 miles or so, but always like to carry two.

I'm seeing "Heat Stroke" defined with body temperature of about 104° or hotter. And, I don't think @papaki72 stated he was quite that hot. But, still, it is concerning to have a long reaction to the heat.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-30-23, 01:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Headwinds? Sirroco winds bringing stuff from the south? Who knows what comes from the desert!
.....altho not drinking on a hot windy day is problematic.