Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gangneung Style

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Gangneung Style

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 06:00 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 355 Posts
Gangneung Style

I toured the Republic of Korea (ROK) on a folder a few years back and loved it. The place is chill and safe, has several dedicated bike paths including one that traverses the entire country and widespread rail connections on which to bring a folding bike. This is a video that captures the essence of bike touring in the ROK. It's exactly as I remember it. Can't wait to go back...

Last edited by Ron Damon; 09-07-22 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 07:15 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Very good. Impressive trains. Loved the bike.
Old 09-08-22, 12:47 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Before covid, I was frequently going for business in Korea.

Since, its easy and quick to reach by train from Seoul, I also went to this cost on week-ends.

There was much more people there than on the video, it was actually very crowded.

Its indeed very well organized with easy to follow marking for people who don't read Korean but the coast isn't really beautiful, there are houses, buildings, campsite,restaurant, shops... almost everywhere.

So, its good for people living in Korea with quick access or being in Seoul for some other reasons than tourism like me, but its not worth the travel for people coming from abroad without other reason to come to Korea. There are many much better, more beautiful places elsewhere.
Old 09-08-22, 04:27 AM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Jipe
Before covid, I was frequently going for business in Korea.

Since, its easy and quick to reach by train from Seoul, I also went to this cost on week-ends.

There was much more people there than on the video, it was actually very crowded.

Its indeed very well organized with easy to follow marking for people who don't read Korean but the coast isn't really beautiful, there are houses, buildings, campsite,restaurant, shops... almost everywhere.

So, its good for people living in Korea with quick access or being in Seoul for some other reasons than tourism like me, but its not worth the travel for people coming from abroad without other reason to come to Korea. There are many much better, more beautiful places elsewhere.
Evidently, judging from the video at hand, you misjudged the timing and destination of your business trip weekend trip. And for that you have no one but yourself to blame. Any savvy, experienced tourer will tell you that destinations are curated for, among others, season and prevailing climate in order to avoid, for example, the predictable throngs of beachgoers at the beach. A no-brainer, really. And so, after exercising poor judgement on the timing and destination of your trip and getting a negative impression as a result, you now dismiss touring in the country wholesale. Yeah...ok, bro.
Old 09-08-22, 04:39 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Evidently, judging from the video at hand, you misjudged the timing and destination of your business trip weekend trip. And for that you have no one but yourself to blame. Any savvy, experienced tourer will tell you that destinations are curated for, among others, season and prevailing climate in order to avoid, for example, the predictable throngs of beachgoers at the beach. A no-brainer, really. And so, after exercising poor judgement on the timing and destination of your trip and getting a negative impression as a result, you now dismiss touring in the country wholesale. Yeah...ok, bro.
Completely stupid remark, I obviously didn't judged that its crowded from the video since at this covid time of the video, it wasn't crowded

Crowded was a problem but the biggest drawback is that its not a beautiful coast.

This doesn't mean (and I never wrote that) that there aren't other places worth a leisure travel in South Korea.

BTW, the guy did his travel with one of these expensive, overpriced UK made bike !

Last edited by Jipe; 09-08-22 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-19-22, 04:45 PM
Ron Damon

Another video of ugly, dull and overcrowded South Korea...
Old 05-28-23, 11:11 PM
Ron Damon

The crowded, ugly beaches of Korea...

So crowded, so unattractive.

​​​​​

Having now actually cycled and witnessed the landscape and beaches of at least one half of South Korea's east coast, I can categorically say that it is quite unlike the woefully inaccurate description by Walter Mitty here.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 05-29-23 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-30-23, 07:28 PM
Ron Damon

A few more images of that ugly, congested coastline...

Evidently someone here didn't know where and when to visit them. 😂😂😂

Last edited by Ron Damon; 05-30-23 at 07:35 PM.