Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do they make aluminum rims with no spoke holes ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-02-23, 04:17 AM
joegoersch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to build a set of wheels for 700c 40mm tires. I want to go tubeless and am willing to spend the extra time building the wheel to avoid the need for rim tape and the tape's associated issues. I don't want to have to worry about goop getting into the wheels through holes in the rim tape etc. I know they are harder to build and harder to replace spokes, but I'm fine with that.

I can't find any aluminum rims that don't have (outer) holes for the spokes, true UST rims, to build the wheels. I looked many years ago and it seemed like some were in the pipeline, but I just can't find any. Do they make such rims ? I am NOT interested in buying a wheelset, I want to build my own...

Thank you !
Old 06-02-23, 05:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I don't know how far back you had these tape issues but apparently the stuff has improved. It doesn't seem to be a concern any more. Maybe some consolation if you can't find the rims you want.
Old 06-02-23, 05:49 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Maybe you could find some replacement Campy, Fulcrum or Mavic proprietary rims that are for their factory build wheels. You may have to keep checking on eBay. You might check with Cross Lake Sales in Minnesota - that's where I purchased Mavic UST carbon CXP Pro rims outright and I am having my own spec wheels built up by my local wheel builder guy. Now these do have spoke holes that go all the way through.

As for sealant leaking into the interior of the rim through questionable tape jobs, I feel your pain. I have gotten better with my tape jobs with practice and I second what shelbyfv said about the tape being better. I think I will stick with DT Swiss tape instead of the chinese light blue stuff that is supposed to be the same as 3M.
Old 06-02-23, 10:37 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Mavic does make aluminum rims that do not have spoke holes. Look for Mavic rims that feature FORE drilling:

FORE ALLOY & FORE CARBON | Mavic

However, whether you can buy those rims to build your own wheels is a different question that must be addressed by the distributor, who may be able to order "replacement" rims.
Old 06-02-23, 04:02 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Velocity would likely do it. Or even drill it for you.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 06-03-23, 06:01 AM
joegoersch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it sounds like nobody just makes aluminum rims without holes to sell outright. Strange. It seems like it's worth the extra 20 minutes of build time to not have to worry about rim tape for the life of the wheel.
Old 06-03-23, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I expect it's just economics, very small niche market.
Old 06-03-23, 08:00 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Help an old guy out. How's it supposed to work? Granted, my wheel building experience is limited to mainstream 3-cross, and I haven't gone tubeless yet.
Old 06-03-23, 08:15 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Help an old guy out. How's it supposed to work? Granted, my wheel building experience is limited to mainstream 3-cross, and I haven't gone tubeless yet.
Use a swaged mild steel spoke end (just the threads) threaded into a nipple, then drop it in the valve hole/guide it to the place it belongs with a strong magnet. Remove the stub, install on spoke.

It adds WAY more than 20 minutes to the build process of a standard 28-32 spoke wheel. The rim also needs enough clearance to allow the spoke nipple to 'flip' into the hole below the inner wall.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 06-03-23, 08:31 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by joegoersch
So it sounds like nobody just makes aluminum rims without holes to sell outright. Strange. It seems like it's worth the extra 20 minutes of build time to not have to worry about rim tape for the life of the wheel.
Are you ignoring my post, or do you actually think anyone is going to stock a rim that is only useful to a machinist?

But I used to work at a shop that bought undrilled velocity rims.
Old 06-03-23, 09:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Are as an example, Fulcrum Racing zero rims sold with their standard "MoMag" construction? Hard to tell from a online listing, but I would guess they are? Mind you, not sure you'd want to use these for 40mm tires.

https://www.modernbike.com/fulcrum-r...black-no-label
Old 06-03-23, 10:15 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Use a swaged mild steel spoke end (just the threads) threaded into a nipple, then drop it in the valve hole/guide it to the place it belongs with a strong magnet. Remove the stub, install on spoke.

It adds WAY more than 20 minutes to the build process of a standard 28-32 spoke wheel. The rim also needs enough clearance to allow the spoke nipple to 'flip' into the hole below the inner wall.
... that sounds like a wonderful adventure. And you get to reexperience it if you bust a spoke.
Old 06-03-23, 10:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by joegoersch
Strange. It seems like it's worth the extra 20 minutes of build time to not have to worry about rim tape for the life of the wheel.
....they do make and sell these little plugs for the holes in the rim, to be used after the wheel is laced. I've not used them, so cannot give a review. To me, your plan seems excessively laborious. But I am an underachiever. It does seem to me that the hole plugs + tape would be relatively secure. But again, I don't really have any experience with road tubeless.
Old 06-03-23, 05:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....they do make and sell these little plugs for the holes in the rim, to be used after the wheel is laced. I've not used them, so cannot give a review. To me, your plan seems excessively laborious. But I am an underachiever. It does seem to me that the hole plugs + tape would be relatively secure. But again, I don't really have any experience with road tubeless.
These seem to be a generic substitute for Veloplugs (by Velocity). They're not "hot new". Veloplugs have been available for many years, maybe this generic version is new, but not a new concept. From their description they're no different, except available in blue as well as Veloplug red.

But to this discussion, They aren't made to seal for tubeless. They're simply a substitute for normal rim tape. You use them instead of regular rim tape in a tubed tire. If you wanted a tubeless set up, you'd use tubeless tape instead of these plugs, just as you'd use it instead of regular rim tape.

I use them in a couple of tubed wheelsets and they work great for that, fwiw.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-03-23 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 09:11 PM
Kontact

The rims are dimensioned for the addition of rim tape. Without it you might have real trouble getting the tire to seal.
Old 06-03-23, 10:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... that sounds like a wonderful adventure. And you get to reexperience it if you bust a spoke.
If I ever break a spoke on one of my Mavic wheels of said construction, the whole wheel goes on CL for $10.