Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to replace your road shoes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 10:12 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know there are a lot of variables, but I was wondering when most people decide to replace their road shoes? I have been having problems with my feet over the last few years, but it is hard to determine the exact cause. I am just in the Clydesdale division, and I ride several hilly centuries a year. My current shoes have at least 14,000 miles on them, but appear to be structurally fine; of course any change in stiffness has been gradual and I haven't noticed them. I pronate and have a low arch, and I am currently using the blue SuperFeet insoles with Shimano carbon shoes (R133?) and 105 alloy SPD-SL pedals. A visit to a podiatrist and a sports medicine doctor did not yield a complete relief of symptoms. When I did my first 30 mile ride this year after cutting back my riding from the end of November through early January, my feet were noticeably more irritated than usual afterward. Between the amount of miles on my shoes and the irritation after that ride, I think I already know the answer (get out the jaws of life and pry open the wallet, you cheap bast...) but thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 01-26-17, 10:18 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Try new soles?
Old 01-27-17, 02:37 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Try new soles?
That's something I will be doing in the interim. Even if I decide to get new shoes, they will have to wait a bit because I am building up a new frame. Hopefully the maiden voyage will be this morning!
Old 01-27-17, 07:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Your insoles are probably worn out. The carbon outersoles on your Shimano shoes should be fine.

And if you have continued issues, you can consider getting custom shoes and insoles. I did it a few years ago and have been very happy. Yes, it's expensive, but I ride about 500 hours a year, and I am comfortable that whole time. Makes it totally worth it.
Old 01-27-17, 07:50 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HigherGround
I think you'll find that the correct answer is, in this forum, when your current shoes are no longer fashionable.

Are your current shoes still fashionable (e.g. lace-up and colored orange or yellow or red or pink)?
Old 01-27-17, 08:23 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
That's something I will be doing in the interim. Even if I decide to get new shoes, they will have to wait a bit because I am building up a new frame. Hopefully the maiden voyage will be this morning!
I use shoes until they need to be held together with duct tape. Seriously, the insoles will wear out but the actual shoe will last indefinitely, unless it gets abused and starts to fall apart. This obviously doesn't apply to MTB shoes, just road shoes.
Old 01-27-17, 07:36 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I had the upper rip off about 3/4 the way around when unclipping (just a small portion on the outside toe area kept it connected to the sole. I was able to ride home (very carefully).

scott s.
Old 01-27-17, 08:33 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I always keep two pair of road shoes -- primarily so that I can ride with dry shoes the next day if I get caught out in the rain. If it doesn't rain, I rotate the shoes whenever I think about it (not often). I consider it's time to buy a new pair when the insoles wear out. My current shoes have approximately 5,000 miles each on them and I can still see the inked-on logos on the insoles. No wear on the insoles themselves to speak of. These shoes are going to be with me for awhile.
Old 06-04-23, 08:09 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I find that if you put replaceable rubber heels on Shimano's using a claw or T-nut and reglue the sole to the uppers every now and again then you can make them last as long or longer than Sidi's which is pretty much forever.

I split the red nylon heel cup of my Sidis but drilled two lines of 1.5mm holes on each side of the split, sewed the heel cup with thick waxed cotton, and added a carbon fibre patch, re-glued the soles

Sidi Repair by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

and I am still using them. I love my Sidis but these days I am enjoying my really beaten up un-customized Shimano SH-R200s for their carbon heel cup (which is a part of the sole) even more.

The other thing that wears out is the plastic toe piece but I have just ordered some plastic toe supports that I may be able to affix to the shoes.

Last edited by timtak; 06-04-23 at 08:19 PM.