Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are expensive bikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are expensive bikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 06:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3671 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert7659
I had and have a variety of bikes at different price points. Quite honestly, Shimano Claris/Sora level bikes are pretty much as good as it gets.

On my two latest bikes one has the cheapest Promax Decoder R single piston mechanical disc brakes, the other Shimano 105 hydraulic. They’re both fine.

Paying more for carbon frames is ridiculous to me. They said the same about aluminum 30 years ago, and now steel frames are a high end niche.
Yep, those wanna-be racer boys are sheep waiting to be fleeced.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-05-23, 07:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert7659
I had and have a variety of bikes at different price points. Quite honestly, Shimano Claris/Sora level bikes are pretty much as good as it gets.

On my two latest bikes one has the cheapest Promax Decoder R single piston mechanical disc brakes, the other Shimano 105 hydraulic. They’re both fine.

Paying more for carbon frames is ridiculous to me. They said the same about aluminum 30 years ago, and now steel frames are a high end niche.
The beauty of having infinite combinations of bike products is each of us can decide what 'worth it' means to us and buy accordingly. That means to you, Claris and Sora may be as good as it gets, but in most other people's minds, those are the floor and not the ceiling.

I have a kid with a modern Claris drivetrain on her road bike- she has ridden 2000mi every year for the last 4 years and last year did an Ironman at 18. She was easily the only person at that race with Claris and couldnt have cared less. It works great and is dead simple to set up and adjust. It also is hardly as good as it gets- its heavy, rusts easily due to the use of stamped steel, and it has limited adjustment when in use(trim position up front, really).
My wife's bike has 9sp Sora and thats more than good enough for her. Meanwhile, one of my other kids has older 9sp 105 and that is way nicer than the newer Sora. Its easier to shift, easier to trim, and lighter.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-05-23, 08:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
this is the saddle that I use, no cushion whatsoever

Originally Posted by ussprinceton
the Chinese gel seat cover

You do you, this is just super odd to me.
If you add up the weight of the saddle and cover, why not just buy a saddle that weighs that much and has a bunch of soft gel? Instead, you have this cover that slides around, doesnt even fit the saddle since its a different width, and looks...well it looks like that.
I wouldnt want to ride distance with a saddle that is so soft as those covers are, the movement under me would be really annoying and I think uncomfortable(assume). Instead, a nice saddle that is the proper width for me and has some padding that is firm would probably be way more comfortable.

The saddle I use on most all my bikes has no cusion either- its a C17 and is just a rubber shell. It does flex though.
Old 06-05-23, 09:19 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You do you, this is just super odd to me.
If you add up the weight of the saddle and cover, why not just buy a saddle that weighs that much and has a bunch of soft gel? Instead, you have this cover that slides around, doesn't even fit the saddle since its a different width, and looks...well it looks like that.
It's kind of like this:

Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-05-23, 10:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's kind of like this:
I used to call those things toilet seat covers. Working on customer cars it's real easy to get them dirty and they slip on the wheel when it's hot. Some places just take them off before bringing the car in.
Old 06-05-23, 11:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
It depends on where you live, where you ride, and whether you want to ever ride more than 20 miles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-05-23, 03:12 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
No. Buying expensive bikes is completely pointless. Once you're over $1,500, any advantage is largely in your head. Don't buy an expensive bike.

In other news, I bought this a few weeks ago. I really needed... I mean I had to... okay, I wanted... Well, $*@%.

Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-05-23, 03:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
No. Buying expensive bikes is completely pointless. Once you're over $1,500, any advantage is largely in your head. Don't buy an expensive bike.

In other news, I bought this a few weeks ago. I really needed... I mean I had to... okay, I wanted... Well, $*@%.

I'm a vintage guy and generally don't like the looks of modern bikes all that much but something about this one has real appeal.
Old 06-05-23, 06:02 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Expensive is obviously relative:
- What % of annual income is it?
- How many hours a year is it ridden?
- Is it further upgraded or complete at initial cost?
- How many years is it kept before replacement?
- Does it meet a performance or status desire?
- How much goes towards maintenance?
- Does it fulfil a need or is it a functional duplicate?

So any given bike can either be appropriate, or a blatant mistake, for a specific buyer.

The only thing absolutely certain to be a blatant mistake is that hideous gel cover.
Likes For yaw:
Old 06-05-23, 06:18 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
In what competition does 30g make any significant difference?

none that matter much thanks to the UCI
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-06-23, 04:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm a vintage guy and generally don't like the looks of modern bikes all that much but something about this one has real appeal.
The tanwall tires?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-06-23, 06:41 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The tanwall tires?
They're faster. Obviously.
Old 06-07-23, 06:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, they are worth it. Maybe not yet for you but as you ride more and become more of a geared, you will likely prefer them as I did. Everyone is different and I prefer bikes that are a bit more compliant and not too heavy. I climb quite a bit so weight is important though I do not have a 14 lb Aethos (yet) but my older less expensive bikes just didn't ride as smoothly or spin up as quickly or were not as comfy with wider tires, so I got rid of them all. We all develop different preferences over the years though.
Old 06-07-23, 07:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If a person thinks they are worth it, then they are. Simple as that.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-07-23, 03:10 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikealangelo
Hey, so I am a new cyclist, and for now, I am not riding super far (10-20 miles on a single ride), but I have been wondering about something lately:
do expensive bikes ($1k+) justify the cost? I have been riding a 1983 Schwinn le tour, and it has mostly seemed to be pretty good to me. I guess I am not understanding how an expensive bike could be that much of a game changer.
SO my question to you all is "what makes the pricier bikes objectively better than the cheaper bikes, or is it just preference?"

Diminishing gains the further and further you go up the stack. Now a modern sub $2K bike will be better than your bike but don't expect 5mph faster or more watts. If you want to spend $1K I highly suggest doing some research and trying to find a used bike since $1K will not buy much now a days new
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 06-07-23, 03:20 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Just buy that **** life is short get it out your system.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 06-07-23, 05:31 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Hey, so I am a new cyclist, and for now, I am not riding super far (10-20 miles on a single ride), but I have been wondering about something lately:
do expensive bikes ($1k+) justify the cost? I have been riding a 1983 Schwinn le tour, and it has mostly seemed to be pretty good to me. I guess I am not understanding how an expensive bike could be that much of a game changer.
SO my question to you all is "what makes the pricier bikes objectively better than the cheaper bikes, or is it just preference?"
On occasion I ride with a bunch of guys with so-so fitness and expensive bikes. No amount of money is going to make you faster if you don't work on the motor first. Improve your cardio, build your endurance, do strength training and improve your mobility. You'll better appreciate/understand what your bike needs are. Though some cyclists are content buying the most expensive bike and wearing boutique cycling gear on a coffee meetup ride. That's also fine if that's your thing!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-08-23, 09:47 AM
Jrasero

I agree, I just don't agree on the price point. The cheapest new bike you can buy IMO before you start seeing massive diminishing gains in terms of $/performance and also in terms of capping your performance would be a $2300 Cannondale CAAD13 105 or $2200 Canyon Ultimate CF SL (Rim), or $1800 Caynon Endurace 8 Disc. $1500 just seems a bit low to the point where you start compromising on things like gearing and being able to upgrade the bike down the line
Old 06-08-23, 10:28 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I agree, I just don't agree on the price point. The cheapest new bike you can buy IMO before you start seeing massive diminishing gains in terms of $/performance and also in terms of capping your performance would be a $2300 Cannondale CAAD13 105 or $2200 Canyon Ultimate CF SL (Rim), or $1800 Caynon Endurace 8 Disc. $1500 just seems a bit low to the point where you start compromising on things like gearing and being able to upgrade the bike down the line
(I was kidding... I just bought a $7,000 bike)
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-08-23, 10:53 AM
Jrasero

(I was kidding... I just bought a $7,000 bike)
I see but I think there is truth to expensive bikes having massive diminishing returns. The difference between a $2300 CAAD13 Disc 105 or $3000 Allez Sprint Disc 105 and your Scott Addict RC performance wise and raw numbers wise is minimal. BTW love the Addict RC regardless and 100% support your purchase just not everyone will see the value or need to jump to a top of the line race bike
Old 06-08-23, 11:17 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
The other option is to build a bike from open mold frames and wheels. You can then customize your components. You can definitely build a 14-16 lbs. disc frame or even a 13-14 lbs. clincher bike for a fraction of the big brand prices while still having high quality/durable components. The resources on bike building and maintenance are all free on the internet for those willing to make an effort and learn. The investment in tools is only like $50-100 which would pay itself if you were to do an LBS tune-up.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-08-23, 02:01 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Short answer is: no. A few comments:

1) 1000$ is not considered expensive for a bicycle. I would personally qualify ''expensive'' anything over the 5000$ mark (CAD money). Others around may qualify expensive as 10 000$ and more. It's very subjective, but 1000$ is definitively not considered expensive in 2023.

2) Expensive bikes have better and lighter components. If you ask my opinion, there is a significant difference between a 1000$ bicycle and a 5000$ bicycle, but a small one between a 5000$ one and a 10 000$ one. Experienced riders will see the difference, but it's not as noticeable as it is from a 1000$ to a 5000$ bicycle.

3) A carbon fibre road bike equipped with Shimano 105 is more than enough for the ''average Joe'' in my opinion. They call it groupset-of-the-people for a reason.

4) You can't really miss something you never had or tried.

5) Cycling is an addiction. That bike that ''will be your last one'' is never your last one. You always end up upgrading.

6) Have fun riding, regardless on the bicycle. That's all that matters.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-08-23, 06:03 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
I see but I think there is truth to expensive bikes having massive diminishing returns. The difference between a $2300 CAAD13 Disc 105 or $3000 Allez Sprint Disc 105 and your Scott Addict RC performance wise and raw numbers wise is minimal. BTW love the Addict RC regardless and 100% support your purchase just not everyone will see the value or need to jump to a top of the line race bike
Definitely massive diminishing returns once you get beyond mid-tier carbon builds. I can get all the performance and durability I need from a sub £3,000 bike, but I’m happy to spend up to £5,000 on a bike just for a bit more sex appeal, which usually means a nice set of aero carbon wheels and electronic shifting. £10,000 builds don’t really add anything extra for me. Typically just a fractional weight saving from a top-tier groupset and premium carbon layup. Very marginal gains at very high cost.

My current road bikes cost £2,000 (Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 with 105 build) and £4,600 (Canyon Endurace SL8 with Force AXS build and DT Swiss carbon wheels). From an objective performance point of view they are pretty much identical. But the Canyon is still a nicer bike to ride in lots of small ways that add up to a significant difference. But it is not objectively more than twice as good as the price difference might imply. Diminishing returns are very much in play here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-08-23, 11:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
It depends. If you like expensive bikes, they're definitely worth it. If you don't like them, they're not.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-09-23, 09:20 AM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Definitely massive diminishing returns once you get beyond mid-tier carbon builds. I can get all the performance and durability I need from a sub £3,000 bike, but I’m happy to spend up to £5,000 on a bike just for a bit more sex appeal, which usually means a nice set of aero carbon wheels and electronic shifting. £10,000 builds don’t really add anything extra for me. Typically just a fractional weight saving from a top-tier groupset and premium carbon layup. Very marginal gains at very high cost.

My current road bikes cost £2,000 (Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 with 105 build) and £4,600 (Canyon Endurace SL8 with Force AXS build and DT Swiss carbon wheels). From an objective performance point of view they are pretty much identical. But the Canyon is still a nicer bike to ride in lots of small ways that add up to a significant difference. But it is not objectively more than twice as good as the price difference might imply. Diminishing returns are very much in play here.
105 11 speed was and still is so good it's still being sold on a $3000 Allez Sprint and even offered on the Cervelo Soloist, it really is the true testament that newer doesn't always mean better. Granted I love SRAM AXS and 12 speed and I think Rival AXS is quite the value and Force D1 now is pretty darn cheap with sales. IMO like you said it comes down to appeal but also how someone feels on the bike. One person might get on a Canyon CFR and just shrug and say what's the big deal, my 10 year old bike is just as fast, while the next person will go on and on about how this is the fastest bike ever. IMO I love bikes because I love to tinker and for me a lot of things are never good enough, so I always have an outlet to try new thinks, upgrade, or chase new PRs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.