Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This Could Get Ugly

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This Could Get Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 06:52 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
This Could Get Ugly

I am not mechanically gifted. I have nonetheless decided to attempt on my own to change my cassette and chain on my Shimano Claris 8 Speed (Giant Contend AR4). I have the tools I need but I am changing from the stock 11-34t cassette to a 12-25t. Am I correct in assuming I am going to have to adjust the rear drailleur due to the different spacing?
Old 06-06-23, 08:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I am not mechanically gifted. I have nonetheless decided to attempt on my own to change my cassette and chain on my Shimano Claris 8 Speed (Giant Contend AR4). I have the tools I need but I am changing from the stock 11-34t cassette to a 12-25t. Am I correct in assuming I am going to have to adjust the rear drailleur due to the different spacing?
As long as the replacement cassette is a Shimano Claris compatible 8 speed, the spacing should be the same. But that’s not saying that you won’t need to make adjustments. It’s been my experience that sometimes the design of different cassettes may cause them to fit onto the hub just bit closer in, or farther out. In that case, you’ll need to make adjustments to the limit screws and barrel adjuster. With the conversion to the cassette you mentioned…you may also want to look at chain length. If the barrel adjuster is at its max…you might need to make an adjustment at the cable clamp. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-06-23, 10:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Wouldn't that change also involve adjusting the B screw?
Old 06-06-23, 11:05 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
What's the worst that can happen? Put on the cassette and see if it works. If not, look at it and see what's wrong and adjust accordingly. Don't know what or how to adjust, then ask here for more specific help.

If it all fails and you lose patience, toss it in the car and take it to the bike shop but if you figure it out, you'll have learned some things about how it all works and feel more confident the next time you want to do something.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-08-23, 05:49 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for the help, it got done, eventually, and the difference between the new and old cassettes is amazing. Tailor made for my kind of riding, a cheap part change that amounts to a major performance upgrade for me. However, it did cost me $16 to have my bike mechanic straighten out what I messed up trying to do it myself.