Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 09:58 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
I like waxing, it is no big deal if you don't, but please stop spewing hate.
Where is all this hate that's being spewed?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-31-23, 04:28 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm finding the wax residue on jockey wheels, etc. to be no harder to clean - but less messy - than oil-based dirty gunk.
I remember frequently scraping the squirt gunk out of the jockey wheels and between the cage plates with tooth picks and paper towels. The squirt would work itself past the ridge and actually build up in the cutouts of the jockey.

Now for more immersive wax photo evidence, the last time I touched this one is when I overhauled the jockey bearings in January:

Last edited by yaw; 05-31-23 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For yaw:
Old 05-31-23, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I remember frequently scraping the squirt gunk out of the jockey wheels and between the cage plates with tooth picks and paper towels. The squirt would work itself past the ridge and actually build up in the cutouts of the jockey.

Now for more immersive wax photo evidence, the last time I touched this one is when I overhauled the jockey bearings in January:

I'm not having that issue, but it might be largely to do with not letting things go unattended long enough to build up that much residue where it shouldn't be. Maybe there's also differences between drip wax lubes.

I'm not claiming my way is better than anyone else's, or trying to convince anyone that they should do anything differently. This is just what I'm doing currently, and it's working for me.
Old 05-31-23, 06:14 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Next time you come down to the OC, let me know ahead of time (to melt wax in Crock Pot), I will wax one chain for you, to get you started on this habit.
Where are you in OC? I'm in Laguna Beach for a few weeks then back home to San Clemente.
Old 05-31-23, 07:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
the build up is more likely related to the previous lubricant/stuff used & allowing the new treatment to bond with it. Cleaning the drivetrain & the chain for a fresh start with waxing should ressolve most of that build up. It'll never be spotless nor 100% "gunk" free.
Old 05-31-23, 09:34 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Chain waxer can't understand why waxing isn't more popular, then complains when others offer reasons why. Brilliant.
Maybe not "hate", but the tone seems degrading. NOT picking on you specifically.
Old 05-31-23, 10:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
Where are you in OC? I'm in Laguna Beach for a few weeks then back home to San Clemente.
Irvine.
Old 05-31-23, 10:43 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Troul
the build up is more likely related to the previous lubricant/stuff used & allowing the new treatment to bond with it. Cleaning the drivetrain & the chain for a fresh start with waxing should ressolve most of that build up. It'll never be spotless nor 100% "gunk" free.
Nah I did a reset on everything when switching from devil juice to squirt, it's just the fact that squirt does not set nearly as hard as hot melt wax and therefore attracts particles and gums up the drivetrain. If you properly work it into the chain, where it needs to be, it will eventually squeeze out between the plates and deposit. Keeping squirt from gumming up would mean some TLC after each ride and I have better things to do.

Other drip on waxes may differ in viscosity, sure. I heard the Silca stuff sets much better and has a lot, or everything, in common with their hot melt formula (emulsified using mainly water, so the main drawback is a less thorough penetration and lack of full reset), but from memory that stuff wasn't around when I was on drip wax.

Needless to say, with immersive waxing there is no build up beyond the thin layer of wax at chain contact points visible in my previous photos. What squeezes out is much more likely to flake off than accumulate anywhere. Again, that's with a wax regime that's not trying to supercoat the chain with semi cooled down wax, as some people continue to spread as being a good way of doing it.
Old 06-01-23, 05:50 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by yaw
Nah I did a reset on everything when switching from devil juice to squirt, it's just the fact that squirt does not set nearly as hard as hot melt wax and therefore attracts particles and gums up the drivetrain. If you properly work it into the chain, where it needs to be, it will eventually squeeze out between the plates and deposit. Keeping squirt from gumming up would mean some TLC after each ride and I have better things to do.

Other drip on waxes may differ in viscosity, sure. I heard the Silca stuff sets much better and has a lot, or everything, in common with their hot melt formula (emulsified using mainly water, so the main drawback is a less thorough penetration and lack of full reset), but from memory that stuff wasn't around when I was on drip wax.

Needless to say, with immersive waxing there is no build up beyond the thin layer of wax at chain contact points visible in my previous photos. What squeezes out is much more likely to flake off than accumulate anywhere. Again, that's with a wax regime that's not trying to supercoat the chain with semi cooled down wax, as some people continue to spread as being a good way of doing it.
Lombard's issue might have been to what I outlined though? At least it would seem to be so as I ran in to similar gummy issues with a half cared for drivetrain & going to wax route.
Old 06-01-23, 11:13 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Lombard's issue might have been to what I outlined though?
Not really sure what Lombard's issue might have been other than he seems to be against waxing?

At least it would seem to be so as I ran in to similar gummy issues with a half cared for drivetrain & going to wax route.
Yes, gummy or greasy residue on the drive train results from a less than thorough removal of oil-based lubricant from the chain prior to waxing. I experienced this when I tried to use only acetone to clean the chain before managing to buy odorless mineral spirits, which is not easy to buy in California. A properly waxed chain would still get black residue due to road grit, but such residue has a dusty texture and can be brushed off easily.
Old 06-01-23, 06:57 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
[QUOTE= A properly waxed chain would still get black residue due to road grit, but such residue has a dusty texture and can be brushed off easily.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. When I pick up lots of road grime between waxing, I simply use an old paint brush with long bristles to clean out everything. No soapy water so I don't have to re-lube just to do a light cleaning, especially the DR's.
Old 06-01-23, 07:20 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Seems like at times in the conversation above drip wax was conflated with immersive wax, key piece of information is that they set and behave differently when it comes to drivetrain gunk and contamination.
Old 06-01-23, 08:47 PM
yaw
should be more popular

The photo stealers at Silca just released a chain stripper to prep factory greased chains for waxing with one solvent in a 10 minute application, offering an alternative to the usual hardware store multi-chemical multi-step prep. Obviously in a bid to lower the barriers to entry for those who were put off by the current prep requirements or the extra cost of buying a pre-waxed chain.
Keen to hear people's reports on this stuff. Unfortunately my chains last too long to require a new one for stripping any time soon
Old 06-01-23, 09:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
The photo stealers at Silca just released a chain stripper to prep factory greased chains for waxing with one solvent in a 10 minute application, offering an alternative to the usual hardware store multi-chemical multi-step prep. Obviously in a bid to lower the barriers to entry for those who were put off by the current prep requirements or the extra cost of buying a pre-waxed chain.
Keen to hear people's reports on this stuff. Unfortunately my chains last too long to require a new one for stripping any time soon
Bold underline added Multi chemical and multi step? You put mineral spirits in a jar, put the chain in, shake it, remove it, dry it. I guess that's multi steps.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-01-23, 10:59 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Camilo
Bold underline added Multi chemical and multi step? You put mineral spirits in a jar, put the chain in, shake it, remove it, dry it. I guess that's multi steps.
It would be if you'd do it properly, following up the mineral spirits with acetone or alcohol or whatever to get the residue off, and you'd do a few shake ups of each to get it all out.
Old 06-01-23, 11:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by yaw
It would be if you'd do it properly, following up the mineral spirits with acetone or alcohol or whatever to get the residue off, and you'd do a few shake ups of each to get it all out.
You don't have to remove all traces of the OMS "with acetone or alcohol or whatever." The reason we use a second, successive bath of OMS is to remove residual grease and/or particles on the chain after the first bath of OMS. As cyccommute has mentioned many times in this and other waxing threads, the OMS itself would dissolve into, mix with, and slightly dilute the paraffin. To the extent that you are concerned with this slight dilution, add a little paraffin.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-01-23, 11:26 PM
yaw
should be more popular

SoSmellyAir No doubt the world is not going to end if the second round of chemicals to strip the first is omitted, however, I prefer to do it right when messing with this stuff in the first place. For that final rinse, 100% isopropanol works a treat, and the rest of the bottle serves as an ideal rotor cleaner. The reason I would give that Silca stuff a shot if I was in the market for chain prepping is mainly the volatile solvent free formula.
Old 06-02-23, 06:52 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Jk

Originally Posted by yaw
Obviously in a bid to remove any residue of cash from an obsessive's wallet.

Last edited by BCDrums; 06-02-23 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 06-02-23, 10:59 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by yaw
The reason I would give that Silca stuff a shot if I was in the market for chain prepping is mainly the volatile solvent free formula.
I have been considering Simple Green Aircraft cleaner as an alternative to odorless mineral spirits.

Simple Green - SMP13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner, 1 Gallon Bottle 13406: Household Cleaners: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-02-23, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw

I've been using the Silca Super Secret drip wax. Maybe that's why my experiences haven't really matched what yours were with squirt.
Old 06-02-23, 05:32 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Eric F
I've been using the Silca Super Secret drip wax. Maybe that's why my experiences haven't really matched what yours were with squirt.
Yes that is very likely. SSS is runny and penetrates well and seems to set more like hot wax when the water content has evaporated after several hours, hence why it can be used to top up immersion waxed chains without clashing, whereas Squirt is thick to begin with and always stays a bit gummy. I don't doubt that a couple of applications of a formula like the SSS to saturate the chain can really work well. But I still think that immersion is worth it for complete saturation, and much more importantly, the complete flush reset each time, out with all the old wax and contamination, in with all the new. But if for whatever reason that isn't attractive enough, I think SSS, or anything formulated like it, is a drip on winner any day.
Old 06-06-23, 09:29 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Yes that is very likely. SSS is runny and penetrates well and seems to set more like hot wax when the water content has evaporated after several hours, hence why it can be used to top up immersion waxed chains without clashing, whereas Squirt is thick to begin with and always stays a bit gummy. I don't doubt that a couple of applications of a formula like the SSS to saturate the chain can really work well. But I still think that immersion is worth it for complete saturation, and much more importantly, the complete flush reset each time, out with all the old wax and contamination, in with all the new. But if for whatever reason that isn't attractive enough, I think SSS, or anything formulated like it, is a drip on winner any day.
Listening to Josh's latest podcast this morning - the SSS should be fine but immersion is "5%" 'better'.

Old 06-07-23, 10:45 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Since we're documenting stuff for the record...

A few weeks ago I did my first waxing. For the prep I stripped two chains (one brand new and one with around 500 miles on it). For the stripping I used OMS + Acetone. I also gave the two cassettes I use a good scrubbing and soaking with OMS as well. I cleaned up the chainring and RD pulleys with some spray-cleaner and a brush.

For hot wax I used Silca secret chain blend with "nano-scale tungsten disulfide". Sounds fast, right?

I waxed, dried, broke the links up and installed the chain. It ran a little rough in the stand - I took it out for a spin around the block and it seemed to settle down. The next morning I went out for a 20 mile gravel ride on some dry/dusty trails near me. Here's what things looked like after that ride, no cleaning:

Here's what my bike looks like this morning, after two weeks ~ 190 miles and zero cleanings later. This is a different wheelset/cassette - used for roughly 100 of those 190 miles:

There is a little bit of wax gunk on the sides of a few links. I could probably wipe the chain down with a dry towel and remove a lot of that. I would still describe my drivetrain as "clean" and there's no real dirt or gunk coming off on my hands if I grab the chain.

The chain is still running quiet and I actually came in here to ask people how long they typically go between waxings. I have a second waxed chain ready to go and can swap anytime. I am planning to ride around 120 miles between Friday and Saturday - I'll probably wash the rest of my bike tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll swap the chain tomorrow as well just so I know I'm good to go.

Do I need to do anything to the current chain before re-waxing? Or am I literally just dropping it into the wax as-is?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-07-23, 11:18 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by msu2001la
There is a little bit of wax gunk on the sides of a few links. I could probably wipe the chain down with a dry towel and remove a lot of that. I would still describe my drivetrain as "clean" and there's no real dirt or gunk coming off on my hands if I grab the chain.
Chain looks clean. In my experience, the initial rough shifting can be eliminated by a quick wipe of just the side plates of the chain right after you pull the chain out of the wax, so that less wax dries on the outside of the chain, where it is not really needed.

The chain is still running quiet and I actually came in here to ask people how long they typically go between waxings. I have a second waxed chain ready to go and can swap anytime. I am planning to ride around 120 miles between Friday and Saturday - I'll probably wash the rest of my bike tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll swap the chain tomorrow as well just so I know I'm good to go.
On my road bike I wax the chain about every 300 miles. Have just started waxing on my gravel bike so I have not established an interval yet. If you are going to wash the bike anyway, remove the chain first, and install a newly waxed one after washing the bike.

Do I need to do anything to the current chain before re-waxing? Or am I literally just dropping it into the wax as-is?
I usually immerse the chain in OMS in a glass jar and shake for a minute or two, then air dry for about 10 minutes, before submerging it into the Crock Pot for rewaxing. The quick OMS bath removes the wax gunk and any road debris, keeping the wax clean.
Old 06-07-23, 12:56 PM
Troul 

250 to 350 miles before I usually redip it; conditions contingent.
YMMV

After 250 miles, I may only apply the drip wax if majority of the miles were "clean" [no wet conditions] & I notice a rough chain... that typically extends the miles about 100 or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.