Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mavic Rim Double Eyelets Coming Apart

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 08:15 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts

My friend has a rear wheel with a 32hole Mavic A 719 rim and DT Double butted Competition 1.8-1.6-1.8 spokes.
2 of the eyelets have had the outer ring break off leaving the rest of the double eyelets intact and spokes are not losing any tension but I'm curious what would cause this? This rim only has about 5k miles on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crankycrank; 06-06-23 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-06-23, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Can't get a pic of the real thing with the broken eyelets?

Might be over tightened spokes. Might be other stuff too.

Not much mileage. Any warranty on it?
Old 06-06-23, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Just guessing, but did the builder lubricate the outside of the nipples? Aluminum nipples grabbing steel eyelets might break some, especially during a long wheel building and truing process.

Still guessing, might a couple spoke washers keep the wheel rolling?
Old 06-06-23, 09:27 AM
Crankycrank

Thanks, ^^^ Might take awhile to get to the bike to take a photo but will post one up as soon as possible. The friend is reluctant to part with the bike for any amount of time so waiting to see if a warranty exchange is needed for this.
Old 06-06-23, 09:34 AM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Just guessing, but did the builder lubricate the outside of the nipples? Aluminum nipples grabbing steel eyelets might break some, especially during a long wheel building and truing process.

Still guessing, might a couple spoke washers keep the wheel rolling?
I installed a new rim to replace one that was tensioned too high from another builder and started cracking at the spoke holes. I did use some light oil on the outside of the nipples to prevent grabbing and they are brass. I'm not a master wheelbuilder but have done maybe 15 rim exchanges and pretty sure the tension is correct. I doubt washers will be needed as this is just the outer part of the eyelets but the inners look pristine, no distortion or cracking.
Old 06-06-23, 02:46 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
It could be poor quality of the rim. Not the first nor the only Mavic rim to do that.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-06-23, 03:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
IIRC this rim model has what are known as single eyelets at the nipple holes. So only the spoke bed has this reinforcement. I have had a single eyelet come loose of the rim on one of the many (many) mavic rims I have used with no affect on the wheel's true, spoke tensions or reliability. The eye ultimately slid onto the spoke and acted like a spoke bead, rattling around until I cut it off with a pair of diagonal cutters. I forget what the inside looked like, it's been that long since it happened. Andy
Old 06-06-23, 04:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
This is a par for the course settling or tolerance issue.

In order to do the intended job, the "cup" portion needs to be slightly short, so as to transfer load to the upper deck. Therefore, the maker intentionally sets the manufacturing tolerances to the short side, so case by case they vary from just a hair short to more short.

Rim extrusion varies (within a tolerance, or it's rejected) so things end up where sometimes the eyelet riveting cannot close completely. When built to tension, the spokes pull the cup down, taking the upper deck with it, until the load is balanced between both decks. That creates slack pushing the not fully clinched rivet forward.

FWIW - if you do not see some settling of double eyelets, it means that it just happens to be spot on (rare) or the maker toleranced in a way that the cup is not bearing on the upper deck, making it more about marketing than function.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-06-23, 08:46 PM
Crankycrank

Here is a photo of the damaged eyelet with the broken ring hanging off the spoke. Photo looks dirtier than in the flesh. From all the comments it sounds like not an unheard of thing and not to worry about it too much. Mavic only warranties their complete wheels and not their rims sold separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Spoke.jpg (236.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-06-23, 08:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Here is a photo of the damaged eyelet with the broken ring hanging off the spoke. Photo looks dirtier than in the flesh. From all the comments it sounds like not an unheard of thing and not to worry...
Yes, that's very different to what I had in mind. It's not a structural problem, since the nipple is supported from the other side, but still not an endorsement of the maker's QC.

BTW I see plenty of corrosion. Do you live near the shore?
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-06-23, 08:58 PM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, that's very different to what I had in mind. It's not a n structural problem, since the nipple is supported from the other side, but still not an endorsement of the maker's QC.

BTW I see plenty of corrosion. Do you live near the shore?
Yes and yes. Most of the corrosion at the eyelet is from the lip breaking off a while ago. I nag him about giving the bike a good fresh water bath every so often since he parks it next to the bay fairly often, but my advice is for nought. I considered the corrosion may have weakened the steel eyelets but I remember when he showed it to me when it happened there was no corrosion at the separation area.
Old 06-06-23, 10:30 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Yes and yes. Most of the corrosion at the eyelet is from the lip breaking off a while ago. I nag him about giving the bike a good fresh water bath every so often since he parks it next to the bay fairly often, but my advice is for nought. I considered the corrosion may have weakened the steel eyelets but I remember when he showed it to me when it happened there was no corrosion at the separation area.
Are there any cracks (longitudinally - on the line from spoke hole to spoke hole)?
You might have to remove the rim tape and clean it well to spot them.

Relja The-Curious-Monkey Novović
Old 06-06-23, 10:37 PM
FBinNY 

Salt water damage to rims is insidious. Salt water wicks under eyelets, or between the nipple and rim where the b drilled hole isn't anodized. After it wicks in the water eventually evaporates, leaving the salt. Each cycle adds more salt.

Once this starts, it's near impossible to.stop, so I've long ago started pretreating all my rims. I apply a wicking marine grade grease/rust preventative to eyelets, or use a Q-tip to alloy grease to each spoke hole.

This has served me and my clients well for decades, whereas friends dealt with rusted eyelets, or.stress cracked rims.

At this point, your wheel is beyond n saving, though there's an excellent chance it'll last until a crash solves the problem.

Just keep prevention in mind for the next wheel.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-07-23, 08:30 AM
Crankycrank

I have taken a look at the condition of the inner rim and no corrosion on the inside and no longitudinal cracks on the rim although as mentioned this is a rim that replaced an identical rim that did have cracks from being over tensioned, but I did tension this one properly. We both live about a half mile from the ocean so corrosion is always a concern. I wash mine with soap and water every couple of months and don't have any corrosion issues and also have two set of Mavic Open Pro rims with basically the same double eyelets one pair being about 20yrs old. I will stress to the friend again that he needs to give his bike a bath every so often and maybe this will give him some inspiration. The thing is he has had several other sets of wheels with rims with eyelets and all are more than 5 yrs old, none of them Mavic's and with all the same riding and lack of cleaning conditions I've mentioned, and none have this issue.
Old 06-08-23, 12:52 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 247 Posts
"Cracked because of over tension" <<< HOGWASH excuse.
They crack, corrode and break because the hole is twice as big and they are a STUPID ABOMINATION. The biggest SCAM in bike design.
I have Velocity Dyad rims on all my wheels. One has 30,000 miles with 2 heavyweight tours and then I rebuilt it a diff cross, looks like new with NO problems.
When I first built it I had the tension far to high, nothing happened.