Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Hose question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hydraulic Hose question

Old 06-06-23, 05:31 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Hydraulic Hose question

Shimano GRX requires the hose,SM-BH90,2.1mm ID & 5mm OD. Anyone know of a substitute? Not having much luck finding anything.
Old 06-06-23, 09:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
These are available why look for a substitute?

if it is to save a couple of bucks, that seems like a false economy for a mission critical function like braking

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Deore...176&th=1&psc=1

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-06-23, 10:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If your frame can take it Hope hoses are braided and really high quality made by Goodridge and comes with universal fittings. if not I would go Jagwire Pro Hydraulic Hose Kit and get the correct fittings you need from them. Really excellent and you can get different colors to spruce up your ride. I swapped it out on my XT 4 pots and whether the hose is better or not I am not 100% sure but it looks real nice and does the job at least as well as the Shimano stuff.
Old 06-08-23, 03:10 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If your frame can take it Hope hoses
Hope use DOT 5.1 fluid, Shimano use mineral oil, is there a spec difference in the hose? something to be aware of and research
Old 06-08-23, 03:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you wanting just the hose or might a kit do that has all the stuff you need to connect to the brake calipers?

Universal Cycles -- Shimano SM-BH90 Hose Kits [ISMBH90JKSSL170, ISMBH90SBLSL200, ISMBH90SBLSL200B, ISMBH90SBSL170, ISMBH90SBML200A, ESMBH90SSL170, ESMBH90SSL200]

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hydraulic-Lines-Fittings

Not sure why you are having problems finding it. Or are you only wanting a local source?
Old 06-08-23, 04:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Hope use DOT 5.1 fluid, Shimano use mineral oil, is there a spec difference in the hose? something to be aware of and research
Correct on those front mostly (Hope does have some mineral oil calipers) however the hose doesn't care, it is the fittings/seals that will care. Hope sells a universal fitting kit for the hose. Trickstuff uses Goodridge hoses as well and they are essentially using a mineral oil type of fluid (Bionol which is slightly different) and at one point Goodridge was selling their hoses with different fit kits like Jagwire does. Maybe they still do but I couldn't find it on their website and couldn't find a distributor but maybe I just sucked at that one.