Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local bike shop screwed me!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Local bike shop screwed me!

Old 06-04-23, 02:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Sure, it's possible. But for a consignment business? That's really bad. They are supposed to have a book (or, ideally, a computer log) of all consigned goods. Most states have pretty strict regulations for consignment/pawn dealers. My takeaway is that the business is probably selling stuff off books to avoid taxes or screw the consignors. If that's not the case, they are ridiculously disorganized for a business. If you think this is just some innocent mistake by an honest shopkeeper or that consignment shops frequently lose records of consigned goods, we'll just have to disagree.
It was a local bike shop, not a consignment/pawn dealer.
Old 06-04-23, 02:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It was a local bike shop, not a consignment/pawn dealer.
that apparently deals in consignment sales.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-04-23, 03:12 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by spelger
that apparently deals in consignment sales.
The other poster was arguing that "strict regulations" that apply to pawn shops would make it virtually impossible for the records to be lost, and this meant the bike shop intentionally screwed the owner of the bike. It's poor logic based on a false premise.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-04-23, 04:35 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The other poster was arguing that "strict regulations" that apply to pawn shops would make it virtually impossible for the records to be lost, and this meant the bike shop intentionally screwed the owner of the bike. It's poor logic based on a false premise.
The premise is that it's a business that does consignment sales -- but I'm done arguing with you.
Old 06-04-23, 05:14 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Interesting. This post is almost a week old and the OP bowed out the first day. I assume he realizes both he and the shop made mistakes and doesn't see the point in belaboring it anymore.

Meanwhile this thread has become 3 pages of scrutiny of the OP and the shop. BillyD is right, we will argue about anything.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-04-23, 06:42 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Interesting. This post is almost a week old and the OP bowed out the first day. I assume he realizes both he and the shop made mistakes and doesn't see the point in belaboring it anymore.

Meanwhile this thread has become 3 pages of scrutiny of the OP and the shop. BillyD is right, we will argue about anything.
no we wont.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-05-23, 10:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Keep in mind folks we only have one side of the story so we don't have all the details and we have no way of verifying anything. Maybe the shop was at fault maybe the OP was at fault maybe none of them are really at fault or both of them are at fault who the heck knows.

I know in my area selling used bikes as a business entity is not possible without special licenses so we just took donations and those donations went to a local charity and around the area and the globe, you would fill out some paperwork but that paperwork went to the charity and we kept no records of anything post the charity picking up the bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-05-23, 01:13 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
no we wont.
Livedarklions will.
Old 06-06-23, 05:21 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
The shop never said they didn't recollect having the bike or denying having a record of the consignment.
The shop said they couldn't find the folder of consignment agreements because it is in the middle of a major renovation and it was buried under boxes in the office area.
The bike was sold and the shop did err in mailing the check to the owner, as is the shop's policy, due to the above. The bike was sold a couple of months ago, it sat for approx. 3-4 months in the shop, during the renovation.
The shop dug through the office and did find the consignment agreement, as they said they would, and the digital sales record and the op was paid what he was due.
The shop does well with trade ins, consignments and outright purchases of used bikes.
The shop is now trying to figure out a better way to handle consignment payments though this is the first time they screwed up.
The matter has been resolved to both parties satisfaction.

While any business that accepts consignment sales has a responsibility to conclude the consignment in a timely fashion after the item is sold it is up to the consignee to check on the status of the consignment now and then instead of waiting months. It is also the consignee's responsibility to get a receipt, though it is also the business' responsibility to make sure they give a copy of the agreement to the consignee, of the consignment...signed by all parties of course. But stuff happens and in this case both parties could have/should have done a better job.

I'd say this concludes the questions...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-06-23, 06:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
But instead he chose to lie and effectively stole the freakin' bike.

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
The shop dug through the office and did find the consignment agreement, as they said they would, and the digital sales record and the op was paid what he was due.
Was he paid before he made this post, or did the OP lie?
Old 06-06-23, 07:12 AM
Kai Winters

He was paid after the post...when he came in to ask about the bike, the owner said he didn't remember the sale...6 months is a long time when selling bikes...but the consignment agreement would show the details and he would need some time to find the agreement...details in prior post. He did search for the folder and found it as well as digging through all the receipts, digitally, for a sale from 6 months ago.
The owner did not "lie and effectively stole the freakin' bike" as the op states. He told the person he would look for the agreement and sale receipt and once found he would pay as agreed upon. Again, the owner failed to pay upon sale due to the renovation...there is crap everywhere, sigh...and for that he apologized and took full responsibility as well as looking for the agreement and receipt which took several days especially for the agreement which is a paper document in a folder buried under boxes of stuff in the office. He immediately contacted the consignee informing him of the sale and money due him and the consignee came in within a few days to pick up his money.
It's unfortunate the op didn't follow up here.
Thanks for asking.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-06-23, 09:39 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Hmmm. Admittedly a dumb post. Too late to delete. Forget I said anything.
You can ask a moderator to delete it. Looks like it has been resolved.
Old 06-06-23, 10:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

He was paid after the post...when he came in to ask about the bike, the owner said he didn't remember the sale...6 months is a long time when selling bikes...but the consignment agreement would show the details and he would need some time to find the agreement...details in prior post. He did search for the folder and found it as well as digging through all the receipts, digitally, for a sale from 6 months ago.
The owner did not "lie and effectively stole the freakin' bike" as the op states. He told the person he would look for the agreement and sale receipt and once found he would pay as agreed upon. Again, the owner failed to pay upon sale due to the renovation...there is crap everywhere, sigh...and for that he apologized and took full responsibility as well as looking for the agreement and receipt which took several days especially for the agreement which is a paper document in a folder buried under boxes of stuff in the office. He immediately contacted the consignee informing him of the sale and money due him and the consignee came in within a few days to pick up his money.
It's unfortunate the op didn't follow up here.
Thanks for asking.

Thanks for clearing everything up. I have no idea what would motivate someone to bend the truth the way the OP did. What is the end game for someone who does that?
Old 06-06-23, 01:57 PM
Kai Winters

done...

Last edited by Kai Winters; 06-06-23 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 03:07 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
Likely just frustration at himself cast outward.
Okee-dokee. I’m back. Gee, isn’t this fun?!?!Let’s play a game. We’ll call it “Hmm”.
After I filled out the consignment form, the guy says to take a picture of it with my phone so I have a record. I don’t generally take pics with my phone because it’s just a little flip phone with a small screen and takes horrible pics and I’m not a big picture-taker anyways so I told him: “Nah, that’s OK. I’ll just trust you.” So, admittedly, I had no legal recourse in the event they sold the bike and blew me off. But I betcha everybody else takes that picture, considering our phone-obsessed world. Now, funny thing, this just happens to be first time they’ve “screwed up” and not contacted someone after they sold a consignment bike! Coincidence? Hmm.
So I read the official bike shop explanation as to what happened. Thank you Kai Winters. But frankly, I have some concerns. So I'm supposed to come into the shop periodically and check on the status of the bike? Why? Was I naturally to assume they might sell the bike and need for me to remind them it was mine? It was only there a few months. They can’t keep track of this stuff on their own? Seems woefully disorganized but that’s me. They took the bike in November and sold it in March. Hmm.
Mr. Winters states that the bike shop policy upon sale of a consignment bike is to mail out a check to the consignee. They don’t call and say: “Hey dude, we sold your bike. Do you want to stop in and get your check or do you want us to mail it to you?” No, they just mail it out and assume the check gets to you. Really? No call? No text? They don’t need confirmation you got paid? Hmm. Shaky.
When I showed up on a Tuesday morning in May and the bike was gone, I asked the guy: “Whatever happened to that little bike I brought in last fall?”
“What bike?” The guy asks.
“That little Specialized…something or other.” I told him.
“A Hotrock?” He asks.
“Yeah, that one.”
“What size wheels?” He asks.
“I believe they were 24” I say.
“Geez, I don’t really remember. I don't know if I have records from that long ago. I’ll get my wife to check.”
Did he remember the bike? Did he not? Hmm. Who knows.
So I didn’t hear from anyone Tuesday afternoon. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday.
Friday morning I remembered the whole thing and I get a little hot under the collar. I’m thinking: if you’ve got a bike shop, and you think there’s a chance in hell you’ve sold someone’s bike and not contacted them, wouldn’t you make it a high priority to sort that out ASAP? How long would you leave that hanging out there? Three days? Really? Hmm.
So it's still Friday morning and it dawns on me that I’m almost certainly being blown off. So I go on-line and leave a negative review for the shop. About 4 hours later I get a call and he says that Golly, he found the receipt and I can come on in and get my check! Another coincidence? Or did it take me leaving a negative review for him to finally decide to have a look? Hmm.
I could probably sit here and come up with more Hmms all day but I should think that’s enough.
Bottom line is this: they took the bike in on consignment, sold it and never contacted the consignee in any way. When the consignee finally checked in and asked about it, it took them three days to check into it. And that’s best case scenario. So either the shop is chock full of ineptitude or someone is full of crap.
Whatever. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I got paid for the stupid bike and I doubt I’ll ever go into the place again and I’m quite certain it’s not going to make a huge dent in their revenue. No hard feelings and I wish them well. Heck, probably nothing like that will ever happen again and the shop will do very well and sell lots of bikes and everybody will be happy and we’ll all ride bikes together in paradise.
Old 06-06-23, 05:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Okee-dokee. I’m back. Gee, isn’t this fun?!?!Let’s play a game. We’ll call it “Hmm”.
After I filled out the consignment form, the guy says to take a picture of it with my phone so I have a record. I don’t generally take pics with my phone because it’s just a little flip phone with a small screen and takes horrible pics and I’m not a big picture-taker anyways so I told him: “Nah, that’s OK. I’ll just trust you.” So, admittedly, I had no legal recourse in the event they sold the bike and blew me off. But I betcha everybody else takes that picture, considering our phone-obsessed world. Now, funny thing, this just happens to be first time they’ve “screwed up” and not contacted someone after they sold a consignment bike! Coincidence? Hmm.
So I read the official bike shop explanation as to what happened. Thank you Kai Winters. But frankly, I have some concerns. So I'm supposed to come into the shop periodically and check on the status of the bike? Why? Was I naturally to assume they might sell the bike and need for me to remind them it was mine? It was only there a few months. They can’t keep track of this stuff on their own? Seems woefully disorganized but that’s me. They took the bike in November and sold it in March. Hmm.
Mr. Winters states that the bike shop policy upon sale of a consignment bike is to mail out a check to the consignee. They don’t call and say: “Hey dude, we sold your bike. Do you want to stop in and get your check or do you want us to mail it to you?” No, they just mail it out and assume the check gets to you. Really? No call? No text? They don’t need confirmation you got paid? Hmm. Shaky.
When I showed up on a Tuesday morning in May and the bike was gone, I asked the guy: “Whatever happened to that little bike I brought in last fall?”
“What bike?” The guy asks.
“That little Specialized…something or other.” I told him.
“A Hotrock?” He asks.
“Yeah, that one.”
“What size wheels?” He asks.
“I believe they were 24” I say.
“Geez, I don’t really remember. I don't know if I have records from that long ago. I’ll get my wife to check.”
Did he remember the bike? Did he not? Hmm. Who knows.
So I didn’t hear from anyone Tuesday afternoon. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday.
Friday morning I remembered the whole thing and I get a little hot under the collar. I’m thinking: if you’ve got a bike shop, and you think there’s a chance in hell you’ve sold someone’s bike and not contacted them, wouldn’t you make it a high priority to sort that out ASAP? How long would you leave that hanging out there? Three days? Really? Hmm.
So it's still Friday morning and it dawns on me that I’m almost certainly being blown off. So I go on-line and leave a negative review for the shop. About 4 hours later I get a call and he says that Golly, he found the receipt and I can come on in and get my check! Another coincidence? Or did it take me leaving a negative review for him to finally decide to have a look? Hmm.
I could probably sit here and come up with more Hmms all day but I should think that’s enough.
Bottom line is this: they took the bike in on consignment, sold it and never contacted the consignee in any way. When the consignee finally checked in and asked about it, it took them three days to check into it. And that’s best case scenario. So either the shop is chock full of ineptitude or someone is full of crap.
Whatever. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I got paid for the stupid bike and I doubt I’ll ever go into the place again and I’m quite certain it’s not going to make a huge dent in their revenue. No hard feelings and I wish them well. Heck, probably nothing like that will ever happen again and the shop will do very well and sell lots of bikes and everybody will be happy and we’ll all ride bikes together in paradise.
You started 7 sentences with the word "so."
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-06-23, 06:00 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You started 7 sentences with the word "so."
so?
Old 06-06-23, 06:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Hey... Shop stole your bike!

File a police report.
Make a claim.
Find out who else they have screwed.

None of this Oh... The poor bike shop stuff... They screwed ya. You are dissatisfied with their service. And they need to make reparations.

OK: Looks like all fixed. I made this reply before seeing post #61

Last edited by zandoval; 06-06-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Hey... Shop stole your bike!

File a police report.
Make a claim.
Find out who else they have screwed.

None of this Oh... The poor bike shop stuff... They screwed ya. You are dissatisfied with their service. And they need to make reparations.

OK: Looks like all fixed. I made this reply before seeing post #61
So you are determining this from hearing one side of the story from a party who you don't even know?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-07-23, 05:25 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 329 Posts
Seems like you could’ve just followed up with the shop to begin with rather than trashing them on the internet. Do you really think they purposely conspired to withhold your part of the sale of a children’s bike?
Likes For bboy314:
Old 06-08-23, 06:22 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Something I learned late in my life is that when problems arise I need to consider my own role. Something along the line of there are victims and there are volunteers.

Not bothering to hold onto the receipt for the bike makes the OP very much partly to blame and as with most people it is more comfortable to place all the blame on others. With every war there are kids who return from service and protesting that no one told them what it would be like and that they had been lied to by others. No one seems to learn that all war is evil and there are no real winners other than the war profiteers who make sure their children stay out of the military.
Old 06-09-23, 06:06 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
Some of you people are in a weird place. Like somehow I'm as much to blame or possibly even entirely to blame because I trusted this guy. Like I'm this horrible aggressive ogre by putting the poor bike shop owner in a position whereby he had to choose between maximizing his profit by blowing me off, or keeping his word. I'm never going to live in that world.

The only lesson I learned from this whole thing is that I can't trust this one particular person. But that doesn't mean I'm going to live the rest of my life assuming I can never trust anyone. I learned long ago that there are very few people I can trust, but if you never trust anyone then you never know who you can trust. And you're a weaker person for it.

There are people on this Earth that I know I can trust, unconditionally, under any circumstances, to any extent. And I'm a much stronger person for it. I'll make the same mistake of trusting someone today and tomorrow and the next day. And I might make the same mistake of actually telling them that I trust them. Because that's how I build relationships and that's the world I choose to live in.

To me, telling someone I trust them is simply a gesture of respect. And there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make me weak or to blame for other people weaknesses. The one time that I make someone feel good about themselves because I respect them enough to trust them is worth a hundred little dust-ups like this ridiculous situation.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 06-09-23, 07:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
Sounds like a situation handled less than ideally all around.

Old 06-09-23, 07:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
. BillyD is right, we will argue about anything.
no we wont.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Livedarklions will.

I agree with Paul. Enjoy the logical paradox.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-23, 07:44 AM
tomato coupe

Some of you people …
They made a mistake when they didn’t initially mail a check to you, but they checked their records and made good on the deal, despite you not having a receipt. To be honest, I’d trust them more than you.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.