Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Where do you carry your cell phone while riding?

Old 07-10-18, 11:46 AM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
When commuting I toss it in my waterproof panniers. When riding around on errands it's in a pocket or in my small frame bag hanging from the top tube.
Old 07-10-18, 10:14 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Radical Rick
Where do you carry your cell phone when you ride? Are you concerned with damaging it? Have you ever damaged a phone while riding?

The only issue for me if you ride in very cold weather, your battery would not last very long, not even to the end of your ride sometimes, cold just kills your battery very quickly, unless you keep it close to you and keep it warm using your body heat,
Old 07-12-18, 03:49 PM
Chasboy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I would use something like this. Your phone is an delicate and expensive investment that deserve maximum protection from shock, rain, and crash.
I use one like this. I can see my stats and I guess answer a call if I were in the mood. Keeps it tight and safe.
Old 07-18-18, 05:17 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I previously used a cradle for my phone but got annoyed by the glare. Goes into my backpack now and the wife uses her iphone on the cradle now.

As far as a flip phone i have one hidden in my motorcycle. Normally off but get used when charged just to test it. The service i use is page plus (verizon) which is $10 every 3 months.
Old 07-18-18, 06:57 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have my phone in one of those Lifeproof cases that are submersible for a few minutes up to 3 feet of water i believe. which in my opinion is the equivalent of being able to ride in a complete downpour for at least 2 hours. i keep the phone in my jersey pocket.

i just got dumped on a few nights ago and my phone was fine.
Old 07-19-18, 12:01 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
In dry weather I ride with a Hi-Vis construction vest and simply slip my phone into one of the outer pockets. It's handy there if I need to stop for a call or photograph the license plate of an egregious driver.
Old 07-19-18, 03:48 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quadlocks on two bikes and the car,

Good enough for offroad motorcycling, good enough for me,

Also, the mount is small enough to work on the Brompton without affecting the fold.
Old 07-20-18, 05:27 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
The only issue for me if you ride in very cold weather, your battery would not last very long, not even to the end of your ride sometimes, cold just kills your battery very quickly, unless you keep it close to you and keep it warm using your body heat,
Well, not that I recommend it, but if you use a slotted saddle, here is an option that addresses that concern.
Old 07-23-18, 02:47 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me too. https://deltacycle.com/bike-phone-tablet-holders

But when overly wet (and I don't have a strong need for the screen) I tuck it into waterproof panniers (Ortlieb, Thule or Timbuk2). Intermediate case (not incredibly wet, may need the screen) I put it in a pocket underneath my water layer.
Old 08-05-18, 08:45 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I've just recently discovered that I can use my running belt to carry my phone around my waist in perfect comfort whilst cycling.

This running belt takes an iPhone 7 with a fairly large cover with ease. During the ride I don't notice the phone at all. It's extremely secure and can also hold a bunch of keys.

Old 08-05-18, 08:52 AM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My phone most often rides in my frame bag. Frame bags are awesome!
Old 08-05-18, 09:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Can't help you. I've still got my flip phone just so I avoid those issues.

But it leads me to wonder if you can get the same phone number on two phones. I might consider a smart phone if I could keep the flip phone as well and just turn on whichever one I wanted to use.
I don't think that is offered by any cell service provider. I was looking into cloning sim cards the other day, thinking you would put the same sim in 2 phones, but unfortunately it's illegal and probably doesn't work (or is extremely difficult) with newer sims.

However, you can set up Google Voice (free) and have it forward to any phones you want. Combine that with an IP phone and number (also can be found for free) and your second phone would work when you're in range of wifi. Or use a cheap pay-as-you-go service for the secondary phone. Either way, you could have the same phone number operating on both phones.
Old 08-05-18, 09:31 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Phones are consumables and obsolete practically when you walk out of the store with them, and I treat them that way. I treat them like tools. If I can get hot, cold, wet, sweaty, so can the tool.
My last flip phone lasted ten years. My current smartphone is pushing two years. I bought a cheap rubber/plastic case for it and use a glass screen protector. It's always in a pocket or seat bag regardless of conditions. I've dropped it many times, only once did it land flat face down, breaking the screen protector. Moto G4 and yes, now obsolete.
Old 08-05-18, 09:31 AM
Chasboy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a “Top Trek” stem/handlebar mounted bag that has a transparent cover where the phone is securely held by Velcro flaps from the rear of the cover. It allows limited interaction with the phone (which I don’t care much about), but allows the ‘bike mileage app’ to show very nicely. The bag itself has room for a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit and multi tool.
It was on Ebay for about $12.
Old 08-05-18, 11:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Phones are consumables and obsolete practically when you walk out of the store with them, and I treat them that way. I treat them like tools. If I can get hot, cold, wet, sweaty, so can the tool.
My last flip phone lasted ten years. My current smartphone is pushing two years. I bought a cheap rubber/plastic case for it and use a glass screen protector. It's always in a pocket or seat bag regardless of conditions. I've dropped it many times, only once did it land flat face down, breaking the screen protector. Moto G4 and yes, now obsolete.
I bought a G4 just a few months ago and I'm tickled pink with it. 1 or 2 generations back, sweet spot on price/performance.
Old 08-05-18, 11:52 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I bought a G4 just a few months ago and I'm tickled pink with it. 1 or 2 generations back, sweet spot on price/performance.
When I bought mine, they didn't even make an Otterbox or any other name brand case that would fit it. Took me if I recall, a few days to find one online. Does yours have a removable battery? I hear that's ancient now. And definitely not elite
Old 08-06-18, 11:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Middle jersey pocket, in a duct-tape covered Ziploc bag with my cash and cards. Cheap and durable.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-18, 11:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't think that is offered by any cell service provider.
T Mobile sort of does this. Not with a twinned SIM, but with an app that directs all traffics to 1 phone to a second phone.

It's called T Mobile Digits
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-digits

It's a GREAT idea. In practice though I was underwhelmed with the effectiveness of it. To be fair I tested it out when the service was first offered last year and was practically in a beta testing stage. I gave up and haven't tried it since. It's probably better today.
Old 08-06-18, 07:27 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
During my commute in my waterproof bag. If no bag then in jersey pocket. If chance of rain, in ziplock.
Old 08-06-18, 09:38 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
My phone has a rubber cover and I keep it stored on my right side.
Old 08-07-18, 02:46 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Am I the only one who rides with my phone in my back jeans pocket? Maybe it's just some combination of narrow saddle and high waisted shorts, but it never gets squished or falls out.

Have also sometimes been riding with a phone holster on my left backpack strap, right in front of my shoulder. This is definitely the most convenient short of mounting on the stem or bars, and it doesn't get in the way.
Old 08-11-18, 05:11 PM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
Morpheus M4

Phone has never shaken loose from this. Strong magnet and a latch. I have a long enough stem that I mount it to that vs. on the bars.

Last edited by chiefkurtz; 08-15-18 at 05:16 AM. Reason: too add photo
Old 08-12-18, 03:55 AM
lcarriere
Torque Steer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
In my pocket.
Agreed. They’re more waterproof and robust than you think. And if in a downpour, they fair fine under a pair of rain pants.
Old 08-12-18, 07:43 PM
CCMAK

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually put it in my fanny pack
Old 08-13-18, 11:32 AM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
QuadLock, on all my bikes and the automobile.

Used by off-road motorcyclists, extremely secure and compact enough to allow my Brompton to fold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.