Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Removable rack and laptop bag advice

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-05-22, 10:05 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've been through a few iterations of best bags for my commute. I currently have a Topeak MTX beam rack paired with the MTX trunk bag. That bag fits my clothes and lunch for the day perfectly, and I leave my work shoes at work. The missing detail I need is my laptop. I started wearing a backpack just for the laptop and using the trunk bag for everything else. I'm trying to find a way to get the laptop off my back. I installed a bolt on 'permanent' bike rack with the intent of hanging a laptop pannier on the side while I continue to use my trunk bag. The complication there is I don't like the rack on the back when I go for weekend long rides.

Any thoughts on how to carry my laptop (along with clothes and lunch) on a quick release system on my bike?

My commute is 13 miles each way.
Old 01-05-22, 11:59 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
You don't say how large your laptop is. I assume it's 13"? Do you care about aero? If not, klickfix and the like have quick release adapters for the stem, and you can attach laptop bags to the front.
Since you already have the Beam rack, with the dual side frame (I assume), you have to have the V version to take 20lbs, if you want to add the pannier laptop bag. Just make sure you have something between the screen and keyboard, to prevent screen damage from all the jostling around.
Another solution I found when my rear rack broke on a bike tour was actually the Topeak Tetrarack, which attaches to the seat stays and is easily removable via 4 connectors and can take . I've since seen numerous iterations from other brands. I've trunk bags with expandable side pockets for years and they are great for stuff like laptops and racquets, if you pad them correctly. A strong laptop bag like a Thule or Nacuwa and a towel around it will protect it. I bungied the pocket to the side frame as an added precaution.
Old 01-06-22, 06:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Find a padded laptop bag and add hooks.
Old 01-06-22, 09:31 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I use a Klickfix rack top bag that is large enough to accommodate my laptop+extras.
Old 01-07-22, 05:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Do you have the MTX bag with the fold-out panniers?
Old 01-10-22, 10:04 PM
NyoGoat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have the fold out panniers - I didn't think a laptop would fit in in when I original looked. That might be the best option now though.
Old 01-12-22, 11:54 PM
Super_Nova

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you fit a frame bag? Used a lot for bike packing.
Old 01-13-22, 08:47 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
I don't have the fold out panniers - I didn't think a laptop would fit in in when I original looked. That might be the best option now though.
My RackPack 2 plus won't fit a 17" gaming laptop, but a typical 13 or 15" with padded sleeve should fit. The new Rackpack XL looks great for commuting with a lot of junk.
Old 01-16-22, 05:47 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I've been through a few iterations of best bags for my commute. I currently have a Topeak MTX beam rack paired with the MTX trunk bag. That bag fits my clothes and lunch for the day perfectly, and I leave my work shoes at work. The missing detail I need is my laptop. I started wearing a backpack just for the laptop and using the trunk bag for everything else. I'm trying to find a way to get the laptop off my back. I installed a bolt on 'permanent' bike rack with the intent of hanging a laptop pannier on the side while I continue to use my trunk bag. The complication there is I don't like the rack on the back when I go for weekend long rides.

Any thoughts on how to carry my laptop (along with clothes and lunch) on a quick release system on my bike?

My commute is 13 miles each way.
That's about the distance of my daily commute to work. Tried the backpack gig but with heat, humidity in the Summer months and extra sweats (on top of sweats), I switched over to the Ortlieb bikepacking system and loving it. It's costly at first but the quality, versatility and waterproof pay for themselves. I bikepack so it works out perfectly.
Old 01-22-22, 10:14 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I use this - https://waldsports.com/store/front-b...33-q-r-basket/ from Wald.

Not pretty, but it carries a fair amount of stuff. And I can ride the bike to the grocery story, take the basket off, and use it for shopping. Then just put it back on the bike when I'm done, and ride home.

I use it when I ride to work. I put my backpack, with my laptop and other stuff, in the basked. Lock up the bike, then carry the basket up to my office.

Works great. And it was pretty inexpensive.
Old 01-22-22, 11:25 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I hesitate to recommend it because it is so expensive, but the Tailfin is an excellent removable rack. They've got a few options and add-ons. By default, their rack only takes their own panniers, but you can get add-on studs that let you attach conventional panniers. I've got a Tailfin and it is rock-solid.
Old 01-23-22, 11:27 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
dump the mtx trunk bag and get another dry bag for your laptop..keep the mtx beam rack.
Old 08-15-22, 09:29 PM
NyoGoat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
dump the mtx trunk bag and get another dry bag for your laptop..keep the mtx beam rack.
I'm not sure how this solves my problem - a dry bag that's big enough for a laptop and my clothes and lunch that I can strap to the MTX rack?

but the Tailfin is an excellent removable rack.
This looks like exactly what I want - but it is out of my price range for now. I'll keep an eye on that one

Ortlieb bikepacking system
Is there a tail bag that can fit a laptop and the other gear that I need?
Old 08-16-22, 07:59 AM
Finite Elephant

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Trek 820

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using the larger convertible backpack/pannier from 2wheetgear (https://www.twowheelgear.com/). Big enough to hold a 15" laptop and a bunch of other stuff. The bag itself isn't super waterproof, but does come with a raincover. They are kinda spendy, though.
Old 08-16-22, 08:56 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
This [Tailfin] looks like exactly what I want - but it is out of my price range for now. I'll keep an eye on that one
Put it on your Xmas list :-)

I am pretty much in the same situation and after years of commuting with a big bag on my back with everything in it I got the Tailfin. It is a truly amazing product, probably the best-engineered piece of bike tech I have ever owned. Hopefully there will be some cheaper knock-offs eventually.
Old 05-22-23, 12:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My approach would be to have a commuter bike that is the best in terms of tires and gearing and racks for that purpose, and a second bike for recreational rides on the weekends. Wider tires and rims on the commuter bike and no need for a bike computer or its mount and adding reflectors and lights for increased visibility by motorists.
Old 05-22-23, 11:52 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
That's about the distance of my daily commute to work. Tried the backpack gig but with heat, humidity in the Summer months and extra sweats (on top of sweats), I switched over to the Ortlieb bikepacking system and loving it. It's costly at first but the quality, versatility and waterproof pay for themselves. I bikepack so it works out perfectly.
+1 for ortlieb rear rack pannier, very easy to mount and dismount, good quality, sturdy and waterproof, but you need to have some kind of rear rack or your present rear rack might work,

Last edited by Eds0123; 05-22-23 at 11:57 PM.