Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Backyard Bike Shindig June 26 (Evanston IL)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-27-22, 10:31 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts

In Spring 2019 I hosted a small vintage bike swap meet/get-together in my backyard. (I live in Evanston IL.) We kinda froze our tushies off, but had a good time just the same. For what should be obvious reasons, there was no repeat the past two years. This year, I'm trying again. While I'm a vintage bike nerd, that's not required to drop by and say hi, maybe quaff a favorite beverage. The date is June 26.

The plan will mostly be the same as 2019, though hopefully with warmer weather. For those with bikes they want to show off or stuff to sell, set up will start around 9am, the shindig proper (buying, selling, conversing, ogling other peoples' bikes) starts at 10am and goes until 3pm-ish. Consumption of food and drink will be in there somewhere. We have a grill and coolers. I'll figure out a menu (what I provide, what others can bring, etc). Early folks can count on coffee and donuts. I've got a couple tables to display parts, a few bike display stands (for that sort of thing) and some chairs. I can figure out some other table space (plywood on sawhorses) if we need it.

If you might be interested, let me know.

Cheers,

Skip
Old 04-27-22, 11:21 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
In Spring 2019 I hosted a small vintage bike swap meet/get-together in my backyard. (I live in Evanston IL.) We kinda froze our tushies off, but had a good time just the same. For what should be obvious reasons, there was no repeat the past two years. This year, I'm trying again. While I'm a vintage bike nerd, that's not required to drop by and say hi, maybe quaff a favorite beverage. The date is June 26.

The plan will mostly be the same as 2019, though hopefully with warmer weather. For those with bikes they want to show off or stuff to sell, set up will start around 9am, the shindig proper (buying, selling, conversing, ogling other peoples' bikes) starts at 10am and goes until 3pm-ish. Consumption of food and drink will be in there somewhere. We have a grill and coolers. I'll figure out a menu (what I provide, what others can bring, etc). Early folks can count on coffee and donuts. I've got a couple tables to display parts, a few bike display stands (for that sort of thing) and some chairs. I can figure out some other table space (plywood on sawhorses) if we need it.

If you might be interested, let me know.

Cheers,

Skip
I have a weekly Sunday gig but if that changes I just might make it.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-27-22, 05:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Hey Skip, I recall the 2019 event was a gas! I really hope nothing gets in my way for this event!!! Will you have your Fattic on display?
Old 04-27-22, 05:52 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 106 Posts
Wish I could go, but I think I will be out of town that weekend for vacation. Have fun!
Old 04-28-22, 10:12 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I can't make it. The commute would be just too far. ;-)
Old 05-02-22, 01:45 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Will you have your Fattic on display?
Seems unlikely. I dithered a bit too long deciding about just what I needed/wanted and so am still waiting for some small bits to arrive. I'm waiting for small shipments to come from California, Portland, England and Israel. Then Doug and I have to both have at least a few days clear (and overlapping) on our respective schedules. I might well still have just a pile-o-parts in late June. We shall see.

Here's one little teaser (not my photo - they're still on the boat):

Old 05-02-22, 04:43 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
Interested......Will confirm as the date draws nearer

Old 05-02-22, 05:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Sounds like a great time and I'm not that far away, just on the other side of the state but no go for me this year, I'm getting a total knee replacement on the 22nd, it had been scheduled for the 26th but they got an opening on the 22nd and I snagged it! Maybe next time and I'll have something worthy of bringing to show off.
Old 05-06-22, 03:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Thanks for the invite. I'm probable ... June 26 is so far in the future that anything can happen between now and then.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-07-22, 10:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Not that it's my business but will that conflict with jjhabbs ride? I'm not sure if he has a date yet

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-07-22, 10:24 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Not that it's my business but will that conflict with jjhabbs ride? I'm not sure if he has a date yet
No idea. jjhabbs?
Old 05-07-22, 03:25 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts
I think I will be traveling for work.

Old 06-13-22, 01:32 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Will you have your Fattic on display?
Seems unlikely. I dithered a bit too long deciding about just what I needed/wanted ...
Well, maybe. I'll be at Doug's June 20-24. I'm supposed to start brazing the main triangle the afternoon of the 20th. The steerer tube and fork blades have been brazed to the crown (with only a little help from Doug). If nothing else, it seems I should have a main triangle. I'm supposed to finish filing the lugs here at home this week. Fortunately, I live close enough that I've been able to do the course in three doses with off weeks in between.

Also, this note serves as a reminder that I still plan to hold the (very low key) shindig on June 26th. It's a bit far off for a super accurate forecast, but the current summary on weather.com calls for a high of 78° and mostly sunny. I will get coffee and donuts or other pastry-like stuff for the early arrivals. I have a handful of bike stands (not the most stable, but we can improvise if someone brings a penny farthing). I've got tables for people to set up their wares for sale (which implies we need buyers too ). If you're looking for something in particular, add a reply to this thread. Perhaps someone will bring what you need. We can order pizza for lunch. I was thinking of cooking burgers on the grill, but I'd probably wind up with a bunch of meat or meat substitutes my waistline doesn't need afterwards. Parking is on-street. We might or might not be able to squeeze a couple cars in the driveway, depending on whether or not we have AirBnB guests upstairs. You will almost certainly be able to duck into the driveway to load and unload, but don't count on parking there.

Again, I'm thinking about a 9am-ish arrival for people selling stuff. If you want to get here even earlier, you can go for a ride. I won't be able to participate in that, but if there are people interested, let me know and I'll chart a semi-suitable course.

Last edited by smontanaro; 06-13-22 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 06-14-22, 12:58 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Well, maybe. I'll be at Doug's June 20-24. I'm supposed to start brazing the main triangle the afternoon of the 20th. The steerer tube and fork blades have been brazed to the crown (with only a little help from Doug). If nothing else, it seems I should have a main triangle. I'm supposed to finish filing the lugs here at home this week. Fortunately, I live close enough that I've been able to do the course in three doses with off weeks in between.

Also, this note serves as a reminder that I still plan to hold the (very low key) shindig on June 26th. It's a bit far off for a super accurate forecast, but the current summary on weather.com calls for a high of 78° and mostly sunny. I will get coffee and donuts or other pastry-like stuff for the early arrivals. I have a handful of bike stands (not the most stable, but we can improvise if someone brings a penny farthing). I've got tables for people to set up their wares for sale (which implies we need buyers too ). If you're looking for something in particular, add a reply to this thread. Perhaps someone will bring what you need. We can order pizza for lunch. I was thinking of cooking burgers on the grill, but I'd probably wind up with a bunch of meat or meat substitutes my waistline doesn't need afterwards. Parking is on-street. We might or might not be able to squeeze a couple cars in the driveway, depending on whether or not we have AirBnB guests upstairs. You will almost certainly be able to duck into the driveway to load and unload, but don't count on parking there.

Again, I'm thinking about a 9am-ish arrival for people selling stuff. If you want to get here even earlier, you can go for a ride. I won't be able to participate in that, but if there are people interested, let me know and I'll chart a semi-suitable course.

Were I not heading for Portland that day.
Old 06-14-22, 01:08 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Were I not heading for Portland that day.
Say hi to gugie.
Old 06-19-22, 02:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
See you next Sunday.
Old 07-03-22, 10:00 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Photos?

I wish I could have attended. I really wanted to check out that Automoto.
Old 07-03-22, 03:06 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by beech333
Photos?

I wish I could have attended. I really wanted to check out that Automoto.
I didn't take too many, as I was busy chatting most of the time. I do have these two Flickr albums, one of the event was a whole, one of Tom's mystery frame (which includes a few other images Tom sent me).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/49705339@N00/787Qx8
https://www.flickr.com/gp/49705339@N00/ZZd9PJ

Does anyone else have photos from the get together to share?

Edit: The Automoto hasn't progressed.
Old 07-03-22, 06:03 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

I've been struggling with a few projects myself, but I think I got them going recently.

I look forward to seeing what comes of the Automoto and have a soft spot for 1950's era French bikes. I sorta hope you decide to keep what remains of the original paint. Not to disparage iab, but I think it was one of his bikes that showed me that tatty paint has its own beauty. A life well lived, I guess.

Edit:

That Peloso looks familiar, but I don't know where I have seen it before.

Is the Griffon French? I'm wondering if it is some sort of secondary brand of Peugeot, since it looks so much like the 1950's PLX series.

Last edited by beech333; 07-03-22 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-03-22, 07:19 PM
smontanaro 

No paint changes to the Automoto. The Griffon is an American frame, built by Jim Holly in Santa Monica in the late 70s or early 80s. It gets ridden regularly. The Peloso also belongs to Tom, the guy with the mystery frame.