Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear wheel rebuild tandem question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 09:39 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

finally managed to kill the rear rim on our tandem, running tubeless with too high a pressure than specd over a couple of years caused the internals to crack. A new rim has been ordered with a wider internal channel to allow a tyre width that I prefer. I didn't build the existing wheel but I did re tension it up too spec as is was down on tension causing the odd spoke breakage at the nipple non drive side(that seemed to fix that issue). The rim/hub is 32 hole (minimal for a tandem but 32 hole rims offer a wide choice so it is what it is), now the existing wheel was laced 2 cross and I have to say once tensioned to spec I had no issues with it, it rode well and took plenty of hits and even now with a decent crack in the spoke nipple access hole bed it was still true just bulging a bit in that area with the tyre inflated. New spokes need to be ordered to accommodate a different erd so do I just stick with 2 cross is there any benefit to going 3 cross will it result in a more resilient wheel? if so how/why,
hub is dt swiss 350 hybrid
rim DT Swiss GR 531 DB Gravel Rim 700c 24mm ID 32h
Old 04-24-23, 09:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
A little will depend on your hub. But, for a fairly ordinary low to mid flange hub, I prefer 2x for 32h, and 3x for 36h. I think it keeps the angle at the nipple fairly straight and exits the hub at a good angle.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-24-23, 10:04 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
32 is a low spoke count for a tandem but for sure gives you access to lots of rims.

The DT rim series are exceptionally strong, damn near indestructible. the DT 440 is a great rim.

I would not run 2 cross on a tandem rear, at least not on the drive side. I'd recommend 3 cross for this application

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-24-23, 10:57 PM
headasunder

Originally Posted by mpetry912
32 is a low spoke count for a tandem but for sure gives you access to lots of rims.

The DT rim series are exceptionally strong, damn near indestructible. the DT 440 is a great rim.

I would not run 2 cross on a tandem rear, at least not on the drive side. I'd recommend 3 cross for this application

/markp
Please explain why you would run the d/side as 3cross how is this more durable I'm happy to lace it up to what ever pattern as long as it's backed by logic I'm not a prolific wheel builder so inexperienced but I'm fussy when it comes to build process
Old 04-25-23, 10:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Don't overthink this, but try ordering your priorities.

More crosses will increase the torsional rigidity, but is that really an issue when flanges are already large?

OTOH consider the nipple angle at the rim. Generally, I find that having the "parallel" spokes meet the flange more than 4" (or so) apart causes nipples to seat poorly. Rims vary, so you might thread a spoke and nipple into the rim and flex sideways to determine the wiggle room.

Once you know whether or not you have enough wiggle room, you'll have the basis for a judgement call about that extra cross.

If you're still on the fence, consider the marginally improved lateral rigidity of fewer crosses as the tie breaker.
Old 04-25-23, 10:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I question the rim cracking was caused by, or even helped on by, tire pressure or tubeless sealant. I'd love to see the rim cracks and if they are much the same as the typical nipple hole cracking that many rims have had. I suspect they will look the same. Did the rim have eyelets at the nipple holes? Andy
Old 04-25-23, 12:13 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A little will depend on your hub. But, for a fairly ordinary low to mid flange hub, I prefer 2x for 32h, and 3x for 36h. I think it keeps the angle at the nipple fairly straight and exits the hub at a good angle.
I agree that spoke angle is an important factor - with only 32 of them you need to keep them happy. The other consideration is hub wind-up - for the same reason you wouldn't build a back wheel radial (at least on the drive side) 3X might be better than 2X.
Old 04-25-23, 12:39 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
Please explain why you would run the d/side as 3cross how is this more durable I'm happy to lace it up to what ever pattern as long as it's backed by logic I'm not a prolific wheel builder so inexperienced but I'm fussy when it comes to build process
Imagine a radial spoked rear wheel; when you apply torque at the hub it has to rotate relative to the rim before it can transfer torque because the spokes are hinged at the hub and flexible - they can't push sideways. Received wisdom is that a spoke tangential to the hub transfers torque best because the applied force is purely tension along its length. I suspect that as long as the wheel is adequately tensioned to resist hub wind up the angles aren't important as the force vectors cancel out and the hub doesn't twist in the wheel - no work is done in a non-useful direction. But I've not put much thought into it - maybe I should the next time I build a wheel, rather than watching TV.
Old 04-25-23, 01:26 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

the 2 cross pattern is not suitable for the torque loads the hub will see on a tandem.

has to do with the spoke departure angle from the hub flange

suggest you use 3 cross. Or build another one with 2 cross and see what happens !

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-25-23, 01:31 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I question the rim cracking was caused by, or even helped on by, tire pressure or tubeless sealant. I'd love to see the rim cracks and if they are much the same as the typical nipple hole cracking that many rims have had. I suspect they will look the same. Did the rim have eyelets at the nipple holes? Andy
When I took Ric Hjertberg's wheel building class, we did this experiment with his spoke tensiometer (which I have)

Spoke tension is reduced by up to 10% on a clincher rim when the tire is inflated ! seems counter intuitive but it is true

/markp
Old 04-25-23, 01:35 PM
headasunder

Old 04-25-23, 01:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

the 2 cross pattern is not suitable for the torque loads the hub will see on a tandem.

has to do with the spoke departure angle from the hub flange
Sorry, but no.

Has nothing to do with the angle. The main consideration is the lever arm length from spoke head to axle ( on centers).

This is the reason it's perfectly OK to reduce crosses with larger flanges.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-25-23, 02:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

headasunder- Wow! I have to admit I don't think I have ever seen a rim with such a series of cracks. Thanks, it's a good day when you learn something. Andy
Old 04-25-23, 05:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
More importantly, did the rim that cracked say "Mavic" on it?
Old 04-25-23, 05:07 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

When I took Ric Hjertberg's wheel building class, we did this experiment with his spoke tensiometer (which I have)

Spoke tension is reduced by up to 10% on a clincher rim when the tire is inflated ! seems counter intuitive but it is true

/markp
Not counterintuitive at all. The tire acts as a boa constrictor around the wheel and the inward pressure counteracts the tension on the spokes.
Old 04-25-23, 05:09 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by headasunder
Yikes! You're lucky that wheel didn't totally collapse on you while riding.
Old 04-25-23, 05:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
headasunder- Wow! I have to admit I don't think I have ever seen a rim with such a series of cracks. Thanks, it's a good day when you learn something. Andy
I’ve had several rims that this has happened to. It’s probably a metallurgical problem and is only tangentially related to tire pressure. I haven’t had it happen in roughly 20 years or more.

Originally Posted by Lombard
Yikes! You're lucky that wheel didn't totally collapse on you while riding.
The wheel isn’t likely to collapse. In my experience, the problem presented as a sound initiall…. a distinct “creaking” noise. Then the wheel started to go out of true. I could true it but it quickly went back out of true. Eventually the rim wouldn’t true at all. I didn’t remove the tape until the rim wouldn’t true at all. That was when I saw that the rim was cracked from spoke hole to spoke hole. On a double wall rim like this one and the ones I’ve experienced, the wheel will hold together as long as the spoke bed wall is intact. It’s not optimal but the wheel isn’t going to collapse.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-25-23, 08:02 PM
FBinNY 

I'm pretty surprised to hear that you've never run into this yet.

This used to be pretty rare, but is becoming less so, and relates to the difference between rim maker design considerations, and changing rider trends.

Makers place a priority on weight, and design the center web around the minimum requirements based on expected outward tire forces. Those are a proportional towidth X pressure.

However, trends are to wider tires at higher pressures, taking spreading forces beyond expectations.

Combine the higher deadload, brittleness of the alloys used, and normal flexing, this becomes more likely.

The reality is that wheelbuilding is an arms race between builder choices, spoke, rim, and tire makers and periodically the balance shifts. Expect rim producers to rethink design parameters, but in the meantime, don't be surprised to see this failure.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-25-23, 09:25 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Could we see a picture of the top surface where the nipples contact the rim? If no indication of cracks, then the cause is overly high tire pressure for the rim, rather that anything to do with spoke angle/tension, since the nipples make no contact with the outer wall. If the top section is also cracked, the cracks may be initiated in the top portion by nipples and propagated to the lower section.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 04-25-23, 10:20 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm pretty surprised to hear that you've never run into this yet.

This used to be pretty rare, but is becoming less so, and relates to the difference between rim maker design considerations, and changing rider trends.
My experience is the exact opposite. It used to be fairly common and is now less so.

However, trends are to wider tires at higher pressures, taking spreading forces beyond expectations.
Again, that is not my experience nor the current trend. Tires are wider but people are using wider rims and much lower pressures than in the past. I, being a luddite, continue to run higher pressures on very narrow rims…one of my bikes has Velocity Deep Vs (13mm internal width) run at 80 to 95 psi and I’m not a little guy. Past rims…like 20 years ago…with similar widths and pressures have seen this kind of cracking but I haven’t had one crack like this since.

Metallurgy and quality control has gotten much better with time. If I recall correctly, the rims that have cracked like this in the past were cheaper rims from kind of off-brand makers. This has never happened to me with Mavic and Velocity. I would not be surprised if this kind of crack is related to the drilling of the rim and/or some flaw in the extruder both of which could give rise to stress risers. Once a crack starts tire pressure and load would quickly cause a cascade failure around the rest of the rim.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-26-23, 05:25 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Don't you mean lower pressures?
Old 04-26-23, 05:39 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Lombard
Don't you mean lower pressures?
No, I meant what I said.

Over the (many) years, tires have improved considerably, so we now have 2" wide tires with pressure ratings in ranges that used to be high for 1" tires.

When I started riding, tubulars were the ONLY tires one would pump above 75psi. Eventually, wired-on tires broke that barrier, but only for the narrowest road tires at first.

As I said, it's like an arms race, as rim makers have to up their game to keep up with improvements in tires. However, since wheels are durable, and tires are replaced often, rims are at the disadvantage here.
Old 04-26-23, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 

No, I meant what I said.

Over the (many) years, tires have improved considerably, so we now have 2" wide tires with pressure ratings in ranges that used to be high for 1" tires.

When I started riding, tubulars were the ONLY tires one would pump above 75psi. Eventually, wired-on tires broke that barrier, but only for the narrowest road tires at first.

As I said, it's like an arms race, as rim makers have to up their game to keep up with improvements in tires. However, since wheels are durable, and tires are replaced often, rims are at the disadvantage here.
I’m not sure when you started riding but tires throughout the last close to 50 years have had higher maximum pressure ratings then 75 psi for clinchers. Although I have never ridden tubulars, my understanding was that they were run at even higher pressures than wire-on tires of the day.

I haven’t done an exhaustive survey but of the current 2” tires (45mm)that I can find, they have maximum pressures of ≤65 psi. And almost no one runs them even close to that pressure.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-26-23, 02:04 PM
equinoxranch

Bikes: Bottecchia (Carnielli) & Bianchi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Time again and again I read of concerns where the problem is as a result of doing things wrong.........NOT building from strength - always trying to cut corners, save "weight", etc.. The results are always the same : Failure. It never ends...................
Likes For equinoxranch:
Old 04-26-23, 02:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by equinoxranch
Time again and again I read of concerns where the problem is as a result of doing things wrong.........NOT building from strength - always trying to cut corners, save "weight", etc.. The results are always the same : Failure. It never ends...................
For a brand to be successful it has to appeal to the market. I am ok with saying that the market favors the dreams promised, not keeping the old running. I'll also say that it's in the industry's interest to keep the market looking for that next dream. Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.