Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Klein Aura Vs Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 07:02 PM
ajcamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone
I'm a bit torn between two different bikes (links below). My plan is to use the bikes full-time on my smart trainer, and potentially for a once-in-a-while commuter (rarely).

Klein Auro V - 2008 - $450 CAD
Frame: Klein Aluminum w/ Carbon Seatstays
Fork: Klein Carbon
Headset: Cane Creek IS
Seatpost: Bontrager, alloy, 31.6mm diameter
Saddle: Bontrager Arvada, 135mm width
Stem: Bontrager Sport, alloy, 60mm
Handlebar: Bontrager Select, alloy, 400mm
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra, ST-4400
Brakeset: Shimano Tiagra, BR-4400, rim
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105, FD-5500
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105, RD-5500
Crankset: Shimano 105, FC-5500, 170mm, 52/42/30T
Bottom Bracket: Hollowtech I
Cassette: Shimano HG, CS-HG70, 12-25T
Chain: Shimano HG
Wheelset: Bontrager Select 850, alloy, 700c

Specialized Allez - 2007 - $475 CADFrame Construction TIG-welded Frame Material Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum Fork Specialized Fork Material Carbon/aluminum steerer, aero crown

Component Group Shimano Sora Brakeset Dual pivot brakes, Shimano Sora levers Shift Levers Shimano Sora Front Derailleur Shimano Sora, 31.8mm clamp Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crankset Sugino Comp, 30/42/52 teeth Bottom Bracket Sport cartridge, 113mm spindle BB Shell Width 68mm Rear Cogs 8-speed, 12 - 26 teeth Chain Shimano CN-HG50 Headset 1 1/8" integrated Specialized Mindset

Wheel Size 700c wheels Hubs Specialized forged alloy Rims Jalco GX460, 24-hole/28-hol

Any advice is warmly welcomed. I tried to attached photos and the listing, but I was unable to.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-23, 07:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I think when buying a used bike the condition and whether it fits are more important considerations than the parts it has.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-24-23, 07:47 PM
ajcamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got it. Can you speak for the quality of Klein bikes at all?
Old 05-24-23, 07:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Klein is known for making a fine product and they seem to have a following. I would think that Specialized could be a good bike, too.
Old 05-24-23, 07:58 PM
ajcamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your help!
Likes For ajcamer:
Old 05-24-23, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Gary Klein made some great bikes, then got bought out by Trek and Trek killed the brand. Personally I really wouldn't want a TreKlein but that being said it is a better spec but in the end if it fits well and things are in decent condition you are good to go. Make sure the bikes fit well and everything is in good condition whatever bike you look at even if not one of these.

If you want to post pictures you need to get involved with some of the active threads in the forum. Once you reach 10 posts which is super easy you can post pictures and links and such

Also one final note, a bike on a trainer is still a bike, you need to do all the things you would do to a normal bike in terms of maintenance especially cleaning sweat is rather corrosive and also tires still lose air.
Old 05-25-23, 03:39 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
The Klein is the better bike.
Old 05-25-23, 05:43 AM
ajcamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool - Thanks for the input.

The listing for the specialized bike does say there are a few dents. I've ridden the Klein, but not the Specialized - the Klein was fitting a bit poorly, but I believe with the right adjustments I can get it fit better.

I'm leaning toward the Klein bike at this point. I was doing some research and I think I can customize it a bit more. Additionally, I can put wider tires on it compared to my current road bike. Which is beneficial as I live in an area with lots of gravel trails.

Do you have an opinion on the price at all?
Old 05-25-23, 05:44 AM
ajcamer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheers
Old 05-25-23, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by ajcamer
Cool - Thanks for the input.

The listing for the specialized bike does say there are a few dents. I've ridden the Klein, but not the Specialized - the Klein was fitting a bit poorly, but I believe with the right adjustments I can get it fit better.

I'm leaning toward the Klein bike at this point. I was doing some research and I think I can customize it a bit more. Additionally, I can put wider tires on it compared to my current road bike. Which is beneficial as I live in an area with lots of gravel trails.

Do you have an opinion on the price at all?
The Klein is $330 USD. Assuming it shifts and brakes as it should, you would be hard pressed to find a similar level quality bike for less.
With that said, we have no idea what condition the components are in. Are tires in need of replacement? Is the chain rusty or worn? Are cables frayed? Is the bar tape old and torn? Is the cassette and crankset worn?

If these things are in good condition, then awesome. If they are worn, then they absolutely need to be replaced and the cost escalates quickly. I guess since the bike will be used for an indoor trainer, the tires arent too important- but the rest is.
As for fit, nothing highlights a poor fitting bike like 45min of indoor zwifting. Indoor riding means a more static position and typically a harder effort than outside riding. Those two things will quickly reveal what the bike fit feels like.
Old 05-25-23, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Those are pretty old bikes with old components that aren't going to compatible with the new stuff of today if things start needing replacement other than chain or cables.

Also you say you only might once in a while use it on the road for a commuter. Which doesn't bring the picture of an adrenaline crazed junky riding for speed and a set of data points on Strava.

When I'm on a trainer, I don't care to be in the same aero position I ride when I'm on the road with my bike. I tend to like to sit up on a trainer. And for a short commute, I wouldn't really want to be as aero either since I wouldn't be putting out the power that keeps me comfortable in that position for a long time.

So I'm just questioning whether those bikes are the bike you really want on the trainer. I suppose it really depends on how you intend to to use the trainer. Perhaps zwift or other such might have you wanting that same aero position and riding it at a high power output.

Also I think for a few hundred bucks more you could find a brand new bike. Though it might have to be a bike with a flat bar and a higher stack.

As well some trainers have issues with older bikes. Particularly a wheel off trainer. So check your trainer to be sure.
Old 05-25-23, 04:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, that vintage Allez had long top tubes. The ones I recall were a beautiful dark blue, aluminum frame and carbon fork.
If the fit ain't right the bike will suck.
Old 06-02-23, 08:10 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I'm biased towards the Allez, 'cause I have an Elite. I am brand loyal

Old 06-02-23, 03:57 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
If you're willing to buy a replacement stem, either of these bikes will likely do fine on a trainer (provided they're close to the right size in the first place). Seatposts are adjustable, and there's a limited amount of adjustability between the seat and the post if your butt's too far forward/backwards relative to the bottom bracket. What's left is handlebar stack and reach, both of which can be handled with a stem.

As for the bikes themselves, I always loved Klein's paint jobs when I was a kid - don't know if a 2008 model (probably made in Wisconsin and not Chehalis) would still have that. 105 is a step up from Tiagra, but given that both bikes are 14-15 yrs old, what matters more is the condition/mileage. I'll take Tiagra with 2000 miles on it over 105 with 20,000 miles on it. That said, I run a 2004 Bianchi with likely over 10k miles on it, and she's still on her original chain - obviously, I don't put out too much power.

If your commute is under 8-10km, anything that rolls, shifts, and brakes will likely be adequate. But both of these are (I'm guessing) fairly aggressive by commuter standards, and likely won't be especially comfortable if you're riding around with a backpack for long distances.
Old 06-09-23, 01:41 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Those are pretty old bikes with old components that aren't going to compatible with the new stuff of today if things start needing replacement other than chain or cables.
What sort of incompatibility that couldn't be easily addressed?
Old 06-09-23, 04:11 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
I am brand loyal
May I ask why?
Old 06-09-23, 06:31 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
May I ask why?
I can tell, through their designs and materials used, that a company has developed a well made bicycle. Also, you can't go wrong with the big name companies, like Specialized and Trek
Old 06-09-23, 06:51 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
I can tell, through their designs and materials used, that a company has developed a well made bicycle. Also, you can't go wrong with the big name companies, like Specialized and Trek
I really enjoy my Emonda, but I had two previous frames with strange thumb sized dents in the carbon, one in the top tube, another in the seatstay. Then there's the Emonda handlebar recall. So although the bike I now have is ideal for me and I appreciate the geometry and ride feel, there are apparently no quality guarantees and I would inspect each bike I buy from these mass brands in great detail. I think there are probably many smaller firms, or less visible brands like Time, that use better material more carefully. I don't know about Klein, but it may well be better made than the big name mass model.

I've seen so many brands dragged into the mud by ownership changes or investment pressures that loyalty seems odd, especially when faces and factories and suppliers are in such flux behind the name and story. I am not riding around on names and stories.
Old 06-09-23, 07:48 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I really enjoy my Emonda, but I had two previous frames with strange thumb sized dents in the carbon, one in the top tube, another in the seatstay. Then there's the Emonda handlebar recall. So although the bike I now have is ideal for me and I appreciate the geometry and ride feel, there are apparently no quality guarantees and I would inspect each bike I buy from these mass brands in great detail. I think there are probably many smaller firms, or less visible brands like Time, that use better material more carefully. I don't know about Klein, but it may well be better made than the big name mass model.

I've seen so many brands dragged into the mud by ownership changes or investment pressures that loyalty seems odd, especially when faces and factories and suppliers are in such flux behind the name and story. I am not riding around on names and stories.
This particular Klein was made in the Trek factory in Wisconsin as one of Trek's 'boutique' offerings. Previous Kleins up until 2003-2004 (maybe a year or two later) were made at their independent factory in Chehalis, Washington. If anything, a Trek 'boutique' offering would have more attention to detail than their main line products. Even after the switch to Wisconsin, Kleins still advertised eight or nine layer paint jobs (with debossed logos rather than decals), and very strict alignment tolerances.

As for mass market manufacturers vs smaller brands... unless you're looking at the bleeding edge of technology, like a Madone or a Aethos, there really isn't much to it, for a few reasons: Steel bikes have been a known quantity for a century, and alloy bikes for over a generation. There hasn't been much in the way of advancement in either material in a long time. Alloy still has some room (Allez Sprint's formed shapes), but the last major breakthrough that I can recall was Giant's development of hydroformed tubing about twenty years ago. Even entry level carbon is a known quantity, and that's mostly outsourced and built into frames by a third party in China.

Smaller manufacturers often have different products for markets that Trek and Specialized might not serve. Fairlight makes an amazing steel endurance bike, Marin and Kona make gnarly steel gravel bikes, Lynskey works in titanium - none of which have equivalent offerings by T and S.

And it's not like the big brands are immune to engineering or manufacturing errors, either - press fit BBs being one glaring example.