Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Most notable change in road cycling since 2009

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 11:59 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I just came across an old training log from when I first got (back) into road biking in 2009, when I was 39 years old. Just before I turned 39, my doctor showed me a series of graphs depicting how I had steadily gained weight and raised my blood pressure in my 30s. She recommended cycling and I never looked back. I owe her big time.

I got my first road bike that year, a Trek 2.3. Less than a year later, I got a CAAD 9 and a year after that, I joined a racing team. Carbon frames were certainly common, but aluminium was still predominant, even at races (esp. CAADs). This has me thinking through the biggest changes to road bikes/road biking between then and now. Carbon was common enough among top-end performance bikes in 2009 that I don't see that as a huge change between then and now. Moving from mechanical to disc brakes is a big one, but it happened very quickly rather than as an incremental evolution. Same with mechanical to e-shifting. Related to the bike, the rise of smart trainers and associated training programs has been a huge change in training, particularly in the off season. I haven't heard of any mid-winter, slogging outdoor training rides around here in years.

To me, however, what stands out as one of the most impactful, visible changes over this time period is the lowly tire. This has been a steady/incremental change since I started, when 23mm tires were becoming standard but 21 & 22mm were still common, especially on tubulars such as my Reynolds. And of course tubeless were virtually non-existent on road bikes. Now, I feel like a luddite still riding 25 clinchers while teammates sport tires wide enough to double as floatation devices on a boat.

I'm curious to see what others consider to be the biggest changes to road bikes/road biking over this time span.
Likes For goose70:
Old 05-29-23, 12:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, I was going to say "tires" as soon as I saw your thread title. Going back further in time, this becomes even more noticeable. Older bikes ride just fine on modern tires. Increasing rim width has also been important, but I think that followed rather than led tire development. I think the change from downtube to brifters was another huge advance, but that precedes '09. Going further back . . .
Old 05-29-23, 01:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Tires yes, except I can't help thinking of my '76 Schwinn Super Sport that had 27 x 1 1/4 inch tires which, in today's parlance would be ~31mm. Also, I rode on gravel rural Indiana roads not because gravel was cool (it absolutely was not) but because gravel was difficult to avoid.

Then I got with the cool kids and rode 700x23 at 110psi on pavement until, yes, somewhere between 2009 and now gravel became awesome and 700x28 became the new 700x23, and gravel tires are preposterously wide and comfy at 45psi.

So tires, yeah.
Old 05-29-23, 01:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
I'm going to change my mind.

Pockets on Lycra shorts/bibs. Life changing.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-29-23, 01:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Sock height.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-29-23, 01:37 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Bicycling infrastructure in cities and the addition of rural trails.
Likes For debade:
Old 05-29-23, 02:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Pockets on Lycra shorts/bibs. Life changing.
Why? Before I wore cycling jerseys and bibs, I had shorts with a pocket, from which I lost a credit card and my health insurance card.

I stopped cycling in my teens and only resumed cycling in 2016, so I think a significant innovation (since the resumption) is the Garmin Varia rear radar.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-29-23, 02:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Hard call. Sock length or 32mm becoming standard on new bikes. And what year did they put the nail in the sleeveless jersey coffin?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-23, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
- Disc brakes
- Better quality tires- faster and more reliable
- Di2 now more commonplace.
- GPS cost and quality
- power meter cost
- cables under tape on all levels of shimano
- wide range double replacing triple
- tubeless

Take your pick- all are going to be big improvements to those who really care about one of them.
For me?...better quality tires wins out for sure. For $45 you can get fast rolling 32mm tires that are comfortable, reliable, and long lasting. That's pretty awesome.
Old 05-29-23, 03:44 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
There' been a HUGE change in bikes and cycling gear since the late 2000's for sure. So much has progressed, arguably for the better of course! For me the biggest things I've seen change within the bunches I ride with are:

- Di2 / eTap for the masses
- Disc brakes
- Power meters

Looking back to beginning of the 2010's era, it was very rare for a bike to come off-the-shelf with all three as standard.

Tubeless for the road still seems like it's progressing slowly. Most of the people I ride with are still on tubes for their road bikes. I think over the next decade we'll hopefully see more improvement in the high pressure performance of tubeless setups.
Old 05-29-23, 05:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Motors but not calling them mopeds.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-29-23, 05:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
frame width for "road" bicycles, in-turn, wider rubber as standard issue.
Old 05-29-23, 05:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Tires yes, except I can't help thinking of my '76 Schwinn Super Sport that had 27 x 1 1/4 inch tires which, in today's parlance would be ~31mm. Also, I rode on gravel rural Indiana roads not because gravel was cool (it absolutely was not) but because gravel was difficult to avoid.

Then I got with the cool kids and rode 700x23 at 110psi on pavement until, yes, somewhere between 2009 and now gravel became awesome and 700x28 became the new 700x23, and gravel tires are preposterously wide and comfy at 45psi.

So tires, yeah.
Tires have become better, but as you say, 27 x 1 1/4" used to be one of the standards. If you go way BITD, they're not racing/riding skinny tires. The condition of the roads/paths wouldn't allow it. So, nothing new or revolutionary there.
Old 05-29-23, 06:24 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes, I was going to say "tires" as soon as I saw your thread title. Going back further in time, this becomes even more noticeable. Older bikes ride just fine on modern tires. Increasing rim width has also been important, but I think that followed rather than led tire development. I think the change from downtube to brifters was another huge advance, but that precedes '09. Going further back . . .
Gonna agree, in principle, but also reshuffle 'what' might have led to 'what'. Since this is from each rider's perspective, and so my own...
Wheel/Rim design & Tires is highest.
Without the redesign of wheels and rims, so many things could not be possible. Wider rims. moving from 15 - 17 internal makes a HUGE difference. IN the early & mid-2000s there were only a few makers offering wider rims (19mm) then 21. But by end of the decade 19, from that 21 became the go-to widths. That opened rim design quite a bit and allowed truly functional deep profile and toroidal designs. Faster, stronger, for the same general weight. That allowed movement from 23-25 to wider tires, opening tire design to newer possibilites.
And if you were still using 23-25 - the wider rims rode smoother and allowed both more comfort and faster ride. When rims were 15-17, you really couldn't use wider than 233-25 because the risk of pinch flats was too high, also requiring greater pressures than a wide rim.
Everything being interdependent, then disk brakes opened rim shapes (away from the requirement for rim braking surfaces) to allow aero designs.
But then entire wheel benefited - stronger, lighter, less spoke breakage - a lot of things.
The wider rims also opened the possibility for wider tire profiles, again even more comfortable and better rolling performance (shown in multiple test?).
Taking the braking surface off the rim, opened road design to be workable with tubeless. Last year, on a weekly ride, which often does a lot of long steep climbs around here - on the return descent, one riding bud had his tubeless blow OFF the rim/wheel - too much heat from the hard braking on steep downhill, at speed. Thankfully it happened right at the end and bottom hill, 20ft from end/stop point and he had already slowed to a speed which he could handle when the tire 'farted' and eventually rolled off as he reached the stop. Yes, caliper rim brake wheelset.
#2 Training Tools and science... For anyone who truly wants to bring themselves to their best form - there's no comparison between now and 'ancient' times.
Everything (almost) has gone thru amazing gains that now makes a $1200-$1500 2023 road machine as good as ANY topline machine from the late 80's and 90's.
Finally the universe has expanded and is no longer the very 'narrow' design offering of the 'road' bike from the early 2000's (and certainly true for comparo with even older designs) we have so many variations and possibilities in frame/bike design, use and rider fit, which completely open up where, how and when we ride.
A few things I'm not crazy about, but that's 'me'. But I would never opt to winding the clock back.
The limiting factor now is truly the 'motor', and one needn't spend Huge bucks to get it (although, you can).
Same thing as what happened to winter snow sport - a whole new world, allowing winter sport for 74yr olds to seem like they were 34 (almost... LOL!)
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-29-23 at 06:30 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-29-23, 07:27 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hard call. Sock length or 32mm becoming standard on new bikes. And what year did they put the nail in the sleeveless jersey coffin?
I love the sleeveless jerseys. In fact, I just ordered one from Pearl Izumi.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 05-29-23, 09:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And what year did they put the nail in the sleeveless jersey coffin?
Sleeveless belong to the ladies or tri-nerds. Let them have the sleeveless look. One group looks good and the other group gets to wear them as a consolation prize since they have no actual bike handling skills.

Joking...kinda.

Really though, sleeveless on guys just screams cheesy cheap jersey, even when that isnt the case. Its like something from lightinthebox or ali or wherever else that sells cheap jerseys.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-29-23, 10:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I haven't ridden a bike between childhood in the 90s/00s and just a few years ago, so to me road bikes from various decades still always look oddly anachronistic.

Bikes from 10 years ago look like they could be 20 or 30 years old to my eyes. I would have thought that bikes, as they look today, would have been around 20 years ago. A bike from the year 2000 looks like something out of the 1980s to my eye, and so forth.

Maybe cause the mountain bikes we had as kids 20 or so years ago already had disc brakes and wider tyres.

Maybe because cyclists apparently are a superstitious and traditional bunch.

Anyway, I started road cycling with wide tyres, discs, carbon, integration, etc., so no attachments to the machines or riders of the past.
Old 05-29-23, 10:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I haven't ridden a bike between childhood in the 90s/00s and just a few years ago, so to me road bikes from various decades still always look oddly anachronistic.

Bikes from 10 years ago look like they could be 20 or 30 years old to my eyes. I would have thought that bikes, as they look today, would have been around 20 years ago. A bike from the year 2000 looks like something out of the 1980s to my eye, and so forth.

Maybe cause the mountain bikes we had as kids 20 or so years ago already had disc brakes and wider tyres.

Maybe because cyclists apparently are a superstitious and traditional bunch.

Anyway, I started road cycling with wide tyres, discs, carbon, integration, etc., so no attachments to the machines or riders of the past.
Come on, no allusion to waxed chains? Sorry, could not resist a gentle tease; I am a waxer too.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-30-23, 04:27 AM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sleeveless belong to the ladies or tri-nerds. Let them have the sleeveless look. One group looks good and the other group gets to wear them as a consolation prize since they have no actual bike handling skills.

Joking...kinda.

Really though, sleeveless on guys just screams cheesy cheap jersey, even when that isnt the case. Its like something from lightinthebox or ali or wherever else that sells cheap jerseys.
Farmer’s tans look cheesy too
Old 05-30-23, 04:38 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Carbon rims.

Never have to true them and spokes never break, unlike aluminum.
Old 05-30-23, 05:08 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
I'm going with power meters that the regular joe can "afford".
Old 05-30-23, 05:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I don’t have any way of objectively assessing it— I wonder what the huge wealth of Strava data says?— but the most impactful cycling change since ‘09 seems to me to be the general improvements in cyclists’ physical condition and performance due to the widespread adoption of training regimens, particularly power-based training.

I’ve been cycling since the mid-80s, and the rhythms of the cycling year seem a lot different now, with “spring training” barely being a thing anymore because people keep cycling-specific fitness up through the winter by being on the stationary trainer, Zwifting, and such. It had been a rare subset of cyclists who were able to effectively train over winter, but now everyone is reeling off big rides as soon as the snow melts, as if 5 months of winter was just a week off!
Old 05-30-23, 06:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Bully4
sleeveless jerseys still give people tan lines.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-30-23, 06:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Are people really looking at the jersey tan lines? Or, are they gazing at those developed T Rex upper bodies/big tiny guns that cyclists want/have?
Old 05-30-23, 07:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Bully4
Larry has your tan line solution.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.