Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing speed in tranzx dp-16 LCD

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 03:20 PM
cisweet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, I’m not sure where to ask this question so I thought I’d start here. I just purchased a izip tristar electric tricycle and love it except for 1 thing; It’s programmed to only go 12 mph. I thought the bike shop had told me 15mph but my husband tells me I’m wrong. I’m doing some research on overriding the factory settings but can’t find how to on this display. Any thoughts or how tos? The people I ride with are all over 60 and have 2 wheeled electric bikes. I needed to get a tricycle now as I have Ménière’s disease and can no longer ride a 2 wheeler because of balance issues. Sure would like to try to keep up somewhat.

thanks so much, Cindi
Old 06-05-23, 03:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by cisweet
Hi All, I’m not sure where to ask this question so I thought I’d start here. I just purchased a izip tristar electric tricycle and love it except for 1 thing; It’s programmed to only go 12 mph. I thought the bike shop had told me 15mph but my husband tells me I’m wrong. I’m doing some research on overriding the factory settings but can’t find how to on this display. Any thoughts or how tos? The people I ride with are all over 60 and have 2 wheeled electric bikes. I needed to get a tricycle now as I have Ménière’s disease and can no longer ride a 2 wheeler because of balance issues. Sure would like to try to keep up somewhat.

thanks so much, Cindi
I suspect the speed limiter is a safety issue, and hence should not be overriden.
Old 06-05-23, 03:49 PM
cisweet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety issue

Originally Posted by Koyote
I suspect the speed limiter is a safety issue, and hence should not be overriden.
I know it is that’s why I just want to change it to 15mph. All the other trikes online are at least that speed and some a bit above. It’s a very stable trike so should fine at that speed.
Old 06-05-23, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would not want to ride that thing very fast. Super easy to get it on two wheels not super stable. I would leave it as is. If you are looking for a faster bike look for a recumbent trike which will be more stable and able to go higher speeds and super comfortable. A Shimano or Bosch motor you can get on say ICE, Terra, HP Velotechnik...will have better torque and ability to go 20 or 28mph without instability.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-05-23, 04:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Click on the red button in the left margin of your post and ask them to move this to the ebike section. That is where you will find assistance.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-05-23, 04:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by cisweet
I know it is that’s why I just want to change it to 15mph. All the other trikes online are at least that speed and some a bit above. It’s a very stable trike so should fine at that speed.
Paradoxically, a three wheeler like that is probably less stable than a standard bicycle with two wheels, since the bicycle can be leaned through a turn - but the tricycle will tip over. Additionally, your trike may not have sufficient braking power to safely be operated above 12 mph. Whatever the reason, I would guess that the manufacturer knows better than you about the safe maximum operating speed.

At any rate, it seems that you simply bought the wrong device. You should probably go back and see if you can exchange it for something different.