Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saturae rims/wheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saturae rims/wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 09:28 AM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
Saturae rims/wheels

Can anyone tell me anything about this brand? The mechanic at the shop I frequent had never heard of Saturae. After a bit of digging online, it seems that Saturae was Specialized's in-house brand of wheels? Is that correct? I'm interested to find out more about them because a bike I just bought came with nos Saturae rims built up with new spokes and hubs.
Old 06-06-23, 09:51 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
yes that is what came on my early 80's allez
Old 06-06-23, 09:56 AM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Originally Posted by jadmt
yes that is what came on my early 80's allez
Were they good wheels?

Last edited by JochenRindt; 06-06-23 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-23, 10:07 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by JochenRindt
We're they good wheels?
I thought they were. I am sure there were better ones out there but I put a lot of miles on them and never had an issue.
Old 06-06-23, 02:42 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Specialized Saturne and Saturae rims, iirc, were manufactured by Mavic (France) and Fir (Italy) to specifications required by Specialized. Rims were of high quality as one would expect.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Likes For LittleGinseng:
Old 06-06-23, 02:52 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Fairly light stuff. According to another thread on these here forums, the HC-19 rims are ~400g.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ml#post3302253

I've got a pair laced to shimano 600 6207 hubs but can't comment to their quality, haven't ridden them yet.

edit: ah, found the original source: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/...m#clincherrims
Old 06-06-23, 03:10 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleGinseng
Specialized Saturne and Saturae rims, iirc, were manufactured by Mavic (France) and Fir (Italy) to specifications required by Specialized. Rims were of high quality as one would expect.

I designed these rims, the time period was1984. The MTB rims and at least one model of the 700c rims were made in Japan by Ukai. The light weight 700c rim HC19 was designed by me along with the engineering team of Wolber in France, and made by Wolber. The tubular rims were made by NISI in Italy. Fir was never involved, nor were Mavic. When we first introduced this rim line, the name was Saturn. Unknown to anyone at Specialized, the one man custom frame builder of Saturn Cycles, John Padgett of Davis, California was using this name. He had no trademark registered for this name, but we thought it best to change the name. This after the catalogs, ads and the first run of rims had already been produced. There are some Saturn labeled rims out there. Jim Merz
Old 06-06-23, 03:35 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
I built a set of the Saturn rims onto a pair of Specialized hubs for my first mountain bike, great wheels that suffered years of abuse. I had the good fortune in the mid eighties to be downstream of a small but steady flow of blem's and discontinued components from Specialized.
Brent

Old 06-06-23, 03:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have an orphan front wheel with a Saturae HC19 rim, Specialized hub and Wheelsmith serial number label also.
I do not know what bike I purchased it was part of. I did end up with an orphan rear Specialized hub later.
I have casually looked for a matching rim, no luck so far. The anodizing color is a bit unique, a lighter warm grey.

I do own now a DiNucci era Allez frame set, maybe use them on that.
Old 06-06-23, 05:02 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts
I've got a pair of HC-19's laced to campy record hubs on an early 3Rensho Allez.
Old 06-06-23, 06:49 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim

I designed these rims, the time period was1984. The MTB rims and at least one model of the 700c rims were made in Japan by Ukai. The light weight 700c rim HC19 was designed by me along with the engineering team of Wolber in France, and made by Wolber. The tubular rims were made by NISI in Italy. Fir was never involved, nor were Mavic. When we first introduced this rim line, the name was Saturn. Unknown to anyone at Specialized, the one man custom frame builder of Saturn Cycles, John Padgett of Davis, California was using this name. He had no trademark registered for this name, but we thought it best to change the name. This after the catalogs, ads and the first run of rims had already been produced. There are some Saturn labeled rims out there. Jim Merz

Thank you, Jim, for the origin correction. It's good to have you here to keep us old timers on the straight and narrow.

Two of my bikes have wheels built up with Specialized rims. I'm also holding an NOS set of 36 hole Saturne HT- S20 rims for a future build. Beautiful rims!
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 06-06-23, 06:57 PM
JochenRindt

I just bought a 1981 Motobecane Le Champion that came with Saturae C20 rims. Thank you for the information.
Old 06-06-23, 08:00 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim

Jim, what went into designing a lightweight clincher in the 80s? Do you shoot for a certain weight, or certain characteristics, or...I suppose both at the same time?

Also, I find it odd that there are no modern aluminum clincher rims that are as light as vintage ones, can you speak to that?
Old 06-06-23, 08:13 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
I thought they were. I am sure there were better ones out there but I put a lot of miles on them and never had an issue.
Still going strong!!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-06-23, 08:32 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Still going strong!!
post a photo? are you putting miles on it?
Old 06-06-23, 09:40 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
post a photo? are you putting miles on it?
Sadly, life demands have limited riding time but I’ll post a pic soon. So far, I love that bike much more than the later Aluminum version I own.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-11-23, 08:04 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Jim, what went into designing a lightweight clincher in the 80s? Do you shoot for a certain weight, or certain characteristics, or...I suppose both at the same time?

Also, I find it odd that there are no modern aluminum clincher rims that are as light as vintage ones, can you speak to that?
I have had several pairs of Saturae X28 rims on my StumpJumpers. They're single-walled, whereas.many newer rims are double-walled. At least that's one theory... Single walled are lighter?
Old 06-11-23, 08:16 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I noticed that the advertisement for the rims mentions "extra strength inherent from hard anodizing".....
I've seen this claim made by other rim makers.
I just don't understand how anodizing of any kind can really add to a rims strength though, as it is primarily just a colored oxidized finish that is just microns thick. Is it just all advertising mumbo jumbo??​​
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 06-11-23, 09:11 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I noticed that the advertisement for the rims mentions "extra strength inherent from hard anodizing".....
I've seen this claim made by other rim makers.
I just don't understand how anodizing of any kind can really add to a rims strength though, as it is primarily just a colored oxidized finish that is just microns thick. Is it just all advertising mumbo jumbo??​​
Hard anodizing is much thicker than decorative anodizing. This anodized coating is a ceramic, aluminum oxide, and can be applied to be over 0.1mm thick. On an aluminum rim with 1.0mm walls, this is 10%. The bulk elastic modulus of aluminum oxide is, minimum Value (S.I.) 137, maximum Value (S.I.) 324, compared to aluminum alloy of 69. So the stiffness of the rim can be noticeably improved, with modest added weight. Drawbacks: more expensive, can instigate cracking, reduced braking friction, and brake use can wear off the coating.

Another question was why modern aluminum rims weigh more than these 400 gram rims from 1984? The quick answer is cost. Making a light aluminum rims requires the correct amount of material in every position. Aluminum clincher rims are extruded, double wall designs require a porthole die. The die wears during use, this causes the wall thickness to increase. If one wants to keep the low design weight, then the die life will be shorter than for normal rims. It's also more difficult to make these thin wall extrusions, also to fabricate this into a rim. These days, carbon fiber offers much more options for making a stiff, strong and light bicycle rim. Aluminum works fine for making bicycle rims when a lower price point is required, but can't compete with carbon fiber composite material when performance can't be sacrificed. Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim: