Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help With Removing Cable Stop From Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 02:19 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts

I got a 2011 Trek Madone that I'm looking to have repainted. I got everything stripped off the bike, but I can't figure out how to remove the cable stop located on the head tube. Does anybody ever an idea on how to remove it without destroying it or the frame? The cable stop has a little side-to-side movement, and in the 2nd pic, the backside looks like it could come out if I could turn it 90 deg. It looks from the backside that a 5mm hex fits inside of it. I tried to turn it, but I buggered it slightly, so I backed off. The part is made of alloy

I've done some internet searching looking for a replacement. No luck with that. I'm going over check out the nearest Trek dealer when I have a chance.

Old 01-21-22, 05:12 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Problem solved! Went to the local Trek dealer, and after a call into Trek, got the p/n and found out that the cable stop is a 2 piece affair and can be removed using two 5mm hex keys. The thing was loctited in place so it took a fair amount of torque to remove it.
Likes For Buzzkill53120: