Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Safe tire clearance from frame

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-08-22, 11:42 AM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

How do you determine reasonable minimum clearance when going wider tires? The narrowest point being typically between chainstays, how much is enough to allow for natural wheel flexing, possible out-of-perfect-true situation and safe debris clearance?
Old 02-08-22, 12:06 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
There are various ways to estimate frame clearance but the only way to be absolutely certain is to mount the tire on the bike. For a road bike a few millimeters is enough, but more is always better...

For a bike that gets ridden in mud, you'll want quite a bit more. Otherwise, mud on the tire can actually wear holes in the chainstays. Yes, this has happened!

See also: https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...ire-can-i-run/
Likes For FastJake:
Old 02-08-22, 12:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
There's no one "right" answer. How much do you trust the true of your wheels? Are these tires new and going to stretch or been sitting inflated for months? Expensive CF frame, a fancy custom paint job or your pride and joy or a city beater. Are you riding off road and going to see stones stuck to the tread. (Does that tread pick up stones?) Wheel flex - are you an animal or a skinny guy like me? How stiff are your wheels?

I rode the Trask River lumber road across the Oregon coast range on my Mooney set up fix gear and a 35c Pasela in back. With the tire slid forward to use my biggest cog for the way up I had maybe 2mm clearance on the sides but I knew that with the tiny cog for the way down and the wheel pushed back, I'd have clearance for stones, etc for the wild 2000' descent. This was also on a 35 year old paint job that was up for renewal anyway.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-08-22, 01:27 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
4mm
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 02-08-22, 02:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
4mm

At last, an actual number. So, we know that must be the only right answer Andy (who still thinks in shades of grey and not absolutes that seem so appealing)
Old 02-08-22, 02:52 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I use a 3mm hex for the sidewall. If it slides in there, GTO. If not, no good. 2 mm for the bridge. But, I like to live a little dangerous. YMMV
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-08-22, 02:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
One needs to not only mount the specific tires to visually see, but also remember, a little extra space is needed to prevent tire rub on the stays fork for when accelerating and turning aggressively. I put 35mm GK semi-slick on my Poprad and the clearance was a shade under 3mm on each side of the chain stays. It was fine my first few rides. Then I went for a faster, more aggressive ride and the tires rubbed on those stays. The seat stays and fork had plenty of room, but the tires came off due to the chain stays. I now have the GK's in 32mm, if I did not already know better, I would swear there was enough room for the 35's.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-08-22, 03:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
My 650B bike has very little clearance to the chainstays. It was almost zero at one point before dimpling the stays, now it's about 2mm. If I didn't regularly check the wheels and tires for true, or pack a spoke wrench, I'd probably want more clearance.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-08-22, 03:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
I'm going to say 3.5mm, use your 3 and 4mm Allen wrenches for "go- no go."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-08-22, 04:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
I've had enough weird stuff happen on long rides that I'm more gun-shy than most here.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
At last, an actual number. So, we know that must be the only right answer Andy (who still thinks in shades of grey and not absolutes that seem so appealing)
I'd rather go with 4 +6/-1 mm.
Old 02-08-22, 04:47 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Also depends on the rims.

Carbon rimmed wheels almost never go out of true. Set em and forget em
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-08-22, 05:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
You only need a couple of mm.

However, if something goes wrong, a little extra clearance can be nice.

I blew off about 3" of the bead about halfway through a 150 mile ride. There was probably a bike shop 10 miles behind me, or 20 miles ahead. Very narrow chainstays. I struggled to boot the tire and not have it rub.

I've also broken spokes from time to time. So, either riding home with a wobbly wheel, adjusting the wheel so it is marginally true with one less spoke, or replacing the spoke in the field, and truing it the best one can on the side of the road.

And, of course people may change tire sizes from time to time. So, 23mm tires are falling by the wayside for 25mm, or even larger.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-08-22, 07:52 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
However, if something goes wrong, a little extra clearance can be nice.

Inspirational, now I will always use more than 2 around-wraps of electrical tape on my dropbars.

What are the white/cyan strings/wires btw?
Old 02-08-22, 09:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by am8117
Inspirational, now I will always use more than 2 around-wraps of electrical tape on my dropbars.

What are the white/cyan strings/wires btw?
I like to have a roll of electrical tape in my bag. Although it was suggested that Gorilla Tape would have worked better.

As mentioned, I was struggling with clearance issues. I also taped around the frame where it was rubbing.

I started booting with a bit of white cotton T-Shirt rag tucked under the bead visible photo left. A few miles down the road I found some nylon flag that was less stretchable (purple/pink, photo left).

I found the string a little further down the road, and added the tape to hold it in place. The string felt a little rubbery, but seemed to hold some tension. There was also tape around the tire and booting fabric. I pulled one of the brake pads when I added the string, just so I wouldn't make a mistake.

The flat occurred just outside of Jefferson, Oregon, and I had to push it pretty hard to get to a bike shop before closing in south Salem, Oregon, with the choice of backtracking to Albany, or continuing north to Salem (and further to Portland).

Oh, and I carry a "real" pump as I revised the boot a few times. No CO2 cartridges.

Here's the bike.

My tire was 23mm due to clearance. A 25mm would have barely fit, but nothing larger. So, no department store tires. Only bike shop tires.

Horizontal dropouts, so the wheel was imperceptibly shifting in the dropout which I fixed by pulling the skewer back on the Drive side before clamping down.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-10-22, 10:57 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
😉 Lately I've been practicing the art of not over explaining.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 02-11-22, 10:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
😉 Lately I've been practicing the art of not over explaining.
And that's one thing I will never achieve, not over explaining Andy