Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

twist grip BRAKES! Possible or crazy pip dream?!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

twist grip BRAKES! Possible or crazy pip dream?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 04:29 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Do cars or pedestrians never suddenly cut into your path in Missouri?
Well, that's kind of the point. There's lots of different ways to ride a bicycle and not all of them involve cars or pedestrians. That's why I asked how OP planned to use the bike.
Old 03-03-13, 05:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Well, that's kind of the point. There's lots of different ways to ride a bicycle and not all of them involve cars or pedestrians. That's why I asked how OP planned to use the bike.
I got that, but you referenced putzing around town, and here in NYC that's exactly where you're most likely to need an emergency stop.

On my road bike brake shoes last until they get hard and dry. On my commuter, which sees similar total mileage brake shoes last about 2-3000 miles. Likewise rims, I ride 0.7mm wall rims on the road and never faced a brake track wear problem, but my commuter with much more substantial rims already has more than that worn off the brake track.

Anyway, I saw the open road in your photo, and figured you probably don't ever need brakes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-03-13, 05:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Anyway, I saw the open road in your photo, and figured you probably don't ever need brakes.
That picture was actually taken in Iowa but you're right, it's not the kind of trail that requires a lot of brake use.
Old 03-04-13, 04:07 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
LOL, +1 bad idea
Old 04-20-16, 03:59 AM
AndrewH7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
twist brake

Just done it; to fix e-bike I bought twit grip throttle, but =1 for petrol/gas bike that pulls cable. As I also need rear brake I used it for this. Made nipple holder little bigger using drill bit held in hand. As other side its push switch = away from rider when cable going down from it. Need to drill hole in handlebar & get bigger screw-on end on cable. = 7/8'' 22mm Throttle Grip Ignition & Kill Switch For Pocket Mini Bikes Chopper ITEM PRICE: £3·99.
Old 04-20-16, 07:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewH7;18704050.
....I bought twit grip throttle,.....
This thread has more lives than a cat but the above seems to sum it up rather nicely.
Old 03-01-22, 11:37 PM
showmepictures

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll never guess what idea brought me here. Thanks for all the info and pics.
Likes For showmepictures:
Old 03-02-22, 04:08 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I don’t understand this intense dislike of coaster brakes.
I’m wondering if other markets simply are exposed to far poorer coaster brakes than what I see around here.
Sure, we don’t have any really big mountains here, but it certainly isn’t pancake flat either. And the only one I know who’ve overheated one of ”our” coaster brakes was a guy who built a crude, friction-drive ebike and promptly fused the switch into the ”on” position.
Old 03-03-22, 12:39 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by showmepictures
You'll never guess what idea brought me here. Thanks for all the info and pics.
It's fun to revisit the museum of bad ideas once in a while.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-14-22, 09:36 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
A great mental exercise anyway!

I've always wanted to try reverse levers on swept back handlebars but never have. I think that could result in cleaner looks using bar tape to cover it up.

However, grip shift was actually good stuff in it's hey day. Somehow I obtained some incredible powerful paddle style brake levers from gripshift that are patented and use gears inside. It's hard to describe. They are heavy and I put them on my cargo bike. I have never seen these anywhere else. They are brilliant and might be excellent for mechanical disc brakes.

Which leads me to speculate on whether the group shift brake would work on mechanical disc brakes. I won't try it, because it's not going to be safe But it is a fun idea.

When I used to ride tandems a lot I used an Arai drum brake on the rear wheel attached to an indexed bar con shifter. This is a drag brake, supplemental to the main brakes.

An indexed grip shift could provide a viable way to control a drag brake. How about using one on a front hub drum brake wheel? How do you like flying W's and endos?
Old 03-14-22, 10:45 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Just had a thought to add, which is a Travel Agent pulley could provide more cable pull to help this work a little better.