Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying an off-the-shelf gravel bike vs. vintage MTB conversion?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying an off-the-shelf gravel bike vs. vintage MTB conversion?

Old 07-20-22, 03:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’m completely ignorant.
Mostly lurking and ride my low end bikes until I figure out what I want.
Is 32h double wall better than 36h single wall?
Yes
Old 07-20-22, 05:41 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You could google and maybe pull up a handful, but lets not pretend like the inventory for high quality rim brake 26" wheelsets or rims is anything close to that for 700c disc or rim brake wheelsets or rims. Are 1650g 26" rim brake wheelsets even being built and sold?

...in my garage I have 3 26" MTBs at the moment so its not like I reject that tech or anything similar, but I dont see what you say exists.
how much would a 1650g 700c wheelset cost ?
Old 07-20-22, 05:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Yeah, not big like I once was. The bar on that bike is 780mm wide which has been pretty common for trail and enduro bikes the last several years. Mountain bike geometry changed a lot starting around 2017-2018. Part of the change was wide bars with short stems, reduced offset forks, slacker head angles, and longer reach.

The handle bar on the gravel bike is actually a cyclo-cross design. I think it started with Bell Lap bars. The idea is your wrists/forearms don't get banged against the bar when you're on the drops and bouncing around. I borrowed a bike with a bar that was flared but not quite as much as the one in the picture. It was fine for the little time I spent on the bike.
One of the things I see few people consider in any flat bar/drop bar conversion is geometry. Looking at some people's posts or ads for conversion bikes, I'm amazed anybody could ride some of those things comfortably.
Old 07-20-22, 06:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
One of the things I see few people consider in any flat bar/drop bar conversion is geometry. Looking at some people's posts or ads for conversion bikes, I'm amazed anybody could ride some of those things comfortably.
I like to nerd out on geometry charts before I buy a bike. I had never ridden a modern (2017 up) mountain bike before I bought the KHS. I'm really happy with the way it fits, better than any mtb I've had.
The exception is the Seven road bike which I bought used. It was custom made for someone else but it fits pretty well, too. I did ride it before I bought it and it felt awful. I went over it with a tape measure and I figured I could make it work.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-20-22, 06:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I like to nerd out on geometry charts before I buy a bike.
I kind of have to. A few odd proportions on my body make it very difficult for some brands or models to fit me at all. Next time we ride together note how far back I have my saddle on its 25mm setback seatpost.
Old 07-20-22, 06:31 PM
big john

I kind of have to. A few odd proportions on my body make it very difficult for some brands or models to fit me at all. Next time we ride together note how far back I have my saddle on its 25mm setback seatpost.
I know about being hard to fit, too, especially on mountain bikes. And on road bikes I like an uncut 300mm steerer and not too long top tube. (59)
Likes For big john:
Old 07-20-22, 11:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by t2p
how much would a 1650g 700c wheelset cost ?
$250 to $2500.
​​A quality wheeset weighing that, which is well built and reliable- can be had for $450-600.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-21-22, 01:22 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
I get both sides of the argument and I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. My frustration is simply that I find the bottleneck to a good 26" retro-modern build is the wheelset. They don't sell off the shelf 26" rim brake wheels like the Cross Max anymore. And given that you can have a set of 700c carbon clinchers on Novatec hubs for $400 brand new (AliExpress) just makes me lament that I cannot readily find a comparable option for 26". I'm not even saying I need carbon, or even tubeless, just something nice and light that I don't have to piece together and build myself.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-21-22, 08:29 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
The steel frames are better than the aluminum ones. I had a Trek 7000 something aluminum rigid mtb. I rode it for a few years and it would rattle your teeth loose on rough ground. It was truly awful on washboard, etc. I eventually put a short travel suspension fork on it which helped but I was very happy to get rid of it. It would have been fine on the street, of course. It was about 28 pounds fully rigid with fairly light 2.3 tires.
Yeah, would def look for a steel dealio.

This is a hypothetical though. I'll likely never get to this project because I can probably afford something better suited to the purpose on the used market for not too much more. It would make for a great city bike though since it'll attract less attention...possibly.
Old 07-21-22, 08:56 AM
big john

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Yeah, would def look for a steel dealio.

This is a hypothetical though. I'll likely never get to this project because I can probably afford something better suited to the purpose on the used market for not too much more. It would make for a great city bike though since it'll attract less attention...possibly.
I keep thinking about buying a lower-end gravel bike which I would use for my solo rides on bad roads and a little dirt thrown in and the occasional long dirt road ride with friends. I found that Diamondback has several affordable bikes with the geometry I like. The $1600 version looks pretty good except for the cable disc brakes and they have a 27.5 wheel model, too.
Haanjo 4 | Diamondback Bikes
Old 07-21-22, 11:12 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Yeah, there are challenges for sure. Slack seat tubes can mean the saddle to BB setback will be large. And the frames generally didn’t come much bigger than 22”/56cm and expected some kind of a flattish bar, so drop bars tend to seem low, especially on the frames with threadless steerers. With an old threaded steerer, you can add a tall quill stem adapter and get a suitable bar height.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-21-22 at 11:20 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-21-22, 11:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,063 Posts
I keep thinking about buying a lower-end gravel bike which I would use for my solo rides on bad roads and a little dirt thrown in and the occasional long dirt road ride with friends. I found that Diamondback has several affordable bikes with the geometry I like. The $1600 version looks pretty good except for the cable disc brakes and they have a 27.5 wheel model, too.
have you checked out a Jamis Renegade - S2 or S3 ?

sweet lookin steel gravel bike

S2 with 631 reynolds tubing is around $2500

S3 with 520 reynolds tubing is around $1900

both with shimano hydraulic discs

I primarily use my one hybrid (w/headshok) for dirt roads / easy trails - but for worse conditions / rain / whatever I use a vintage MTB with smooth tires
Old 07-21-22, 01:12 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve built 2 from good hybrid framesets and was able to fit 35 & 37mm tires. Both had V-brakes so I needed long pull levers - I used Tektro (affordable). I had several old CX drop bars but had to buy new stems. Microshift bar end shifters came off a donor & I bought new Dura Ace for the second bike. While both bikes turned out fine, I eventually bought a Giant Revolt Carbon. It’s light years better than homebuilts in ride and especially handling. Both homebuilts went into oversteer quickly and rode harsh. If you have access to used/free parts, homebuilts are passable. If you have to buy new parts, your money might be spent better buying a new bike. Building from a mtb frame geometry would not be my choice.
Likes For veloz:
Old 07-21-22, 02:36 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
have you checked out a Jamis Renegade - S2 or S3 ?

sweet lookin steel gravel bike

S2 with 631 reynolds tubing is around $2500

S3 with 520 reynolds tubing is around $1900

both with shimano hydraulic discs

I primarily use my one hybrid (w/headshok) for dirt roads / easy trails - but for worse conditions / rain / whatever I use a vintage MTB with smooth tires
They look pretty good, kinda long TT for me, long reach, too. Don't know where there is one, either. Something to think about if I ever do buy a bike.
Old 07-22-22, 06:33 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I get both sides of the argument and I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. My frustration is simply that I find the bottleneck to a good 26" retro-modern build is the wheelset. They don't sell off the shelf 26" rim brake wheels like the Cross Max anymore. And given that you can have a set of 700c carbon clinchers on Novatec hubs for $400 brand new (AliExpress) just makes me lament that I cannot readily find a comparable option for 26". I'm not even saying I need carbon, or even tubeless, just something nice and light that I don't have to piece together and build myself.
If you're looking for an ultralight go-fast bike with carbon rims, you're not going to choose a vintage MTB as your platform anyway. Of course you have a lot more ultralight wheel options with 700c - that's what most road bikes take. We're looking for different characteristics in a gravel bike, which is what the OP is trying to build.
Old 07-23-22, 12:07 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I remember when we called them either “cyclocross” bikes or “touring” bikes.

Those were the days…
Old 07-28-22, 06:55 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Yup, I looked at those ages ago. I've honestly parked my roadie on the trainer and I'm planning on riding my cross/gravelish bike on the road with knobless tires. Commuter is a charge plug that I've been messing with. Cable disc and all but it's been fine. I don't think cable disc is all that bad, especially if you have something like a trp spyre which allows for better pad adjustment.

Originally Posted by Banzai

Those were the days…
And thus a new age 'retrogrouch' is born.
Old 07-28-22, 07:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think vintage mtb frames make great flat bar town bikes… maybe even touring bikes… but once “drop bar” comes up, I’m not messing with an MTB frame unless it was designed for drops. Geo is too different.
Old 07-28-22, 09:22 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think vintage mtb frames make great flat bar town bikes… maybe even touring bikes… but once “drop bar” comes up, I’m not messing with an MTB frame unless it was designed for drops. Geo is too different.
​​​​​​"Vintage MTB" also covers a very wide range of bikes, from early 80s 'Marin' ATBs, to NORBA era XC race bikes and everything in between.
You definitely have to know what you're working with, and do some measurements before you start throwing parts at it.
Old 08-02-22, 10:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Banzai
Those were the days…
I ha e owned and ridden multiple touring bikes from the 80s and early 90s. I have ridden an early 90s cx bike.
None of them are as purpose built or fit how I ride gravel nearly as well as my current moder steel gravel frame.