Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Old 08-21-22, 06:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I am trying to envision how this interaction would go? You stop and inquire about the nature of the stricken rider. If it is determined to be a flat you question the nature of the flat and preparation readiness of said rider. If say the rider had multiple flats, pump failure, large gash requiring a boot you would then offer to assist otherwise you go full Karen scold the rider for a bit and leave them to their own devices. Your response is as realistic as the OP constructed situation. However I do believe you would ride by someone in obvious need of assistance and not give it a second thought.

Do you really believe this fictional rider was going to walk 10 miles?
Don't be so quick to judge somebody you don't know...If a rider was stranded in a remote area far away from any type of help then of course I would assist.
The rider in OPs post was in an urban area and only had 5 miles to walk, not life or death situation. Walking 5 miles is not a big deal... Hopefully they learned a lesson and will carry a repair kit with them next time they go out for a ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-21-22, 06:51 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
$5000 bike, no spares, and no cell phone? That's.... hard to believe.
My issue is the obviously ridiculous facts of this situation. The OP would have needed to have had a full interaction with the offending rider to gain the knowledge that was presented followed up by abandoning the rider after refusing help. My 2 year old created better stories about how the crayon marks got in the wall.
Old 08-21-22, 06:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
$5000 bike, no spares, and no cell phone? That's.... hard to believe.
It's probably a fictional story made by OP because he was bored and had nothing else to do.
Old 08-21-22, 06:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild;
Don't be so quick to judge somebody you don't know...

The irony is getting pretty thick up in here…
Old 08-21-22, 07:04 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Would it have been okay if he had a $1500 bike?
Even worse. You're not supposed to carry tools on a >$5,000 bike anyway. You only need a phone to call anyone home who's otherwise relaxing after a stressful week to make a round trip of 3 hours to pick you up.
Old 08-21-22, 07:12 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Can we start a GoFundMe to buy they new cleats?

Barry
Old 08-21-22, 07:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I carry a 6-page questionnaire with me for stranded cyclists to fill out. I review their responses, ask a few questions, and then decide if I will offer assistance. To date, no one has ever been approved.
Old 08-21-22, 07:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Can we start a GoFundMe to buy they new cleats?

Barry
they's might appreciate it.
Old 08-21-22, 07:30 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
My issue is the obviously ridiculous facts of this situation. The OP would have needed to have had a full interaction with the offending rider to gain the knowledge that was presented followed up by abandoning the rider after refusing help. My 2 year old created better stories about how the crayon marks got in the wall.
to be honest, i was sort of waiting for somehow the cause of either the flat or the walking or the butt-pain while walking was that They were riding a "DF" bike !
Old 08-21-22, 07:41 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I'll ask what the problem is. If it's mechanical I'll offer to help. If they have a flat and don't carry the necessities to fix a flat then I go on my way. I'm not AAA. I'm not going to give up my one and only spare tube to help someone that won't carry their own repair kit. I don't care if the bike is $5 or $5k. I'll loan a pump and a patch but not my only tube...perhaps I'm just not a nice person but at least I carry what I need to fix a flat and I'm perfectly ok with that. Matter of fact a week ago on our Saturday ride a person who never carries a spare tube, levers and pump got a flat. He brags about not carrying anything. I've seen him given a tube in the past and he still never carries his own kit. I, and everyone else, just rode away. We all got tired of being his AAA. It was awesome...wonder if he'll learn...likely not.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 08-21-22, 07:46 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Wow, talk about piling on! Give the guy a break. He said he was on a bike path, which was probably a MUP.
So, the person with the flat was riding, and now walking.
Doesn't that fulfill the requirements of a multi-use path?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-21-22, 07:50 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
How do you know it was a $5000 bike and not $3900????
You help others because karma.

However higher $ bikes can present a problem.

I witnessed a rider crash into a car. The motorist drove off and the cyclist was uninjured. Her handlebars twisted but it was a high-end carbon bike with star-shaped fasteners instead of the metric hex I carry. She didn’t have the star wrench either.

Proprietary or rare tool requirements on high-end bikes reduce the opportunity for a field fix.
Old 08-21-22, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,939 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If i was in that situation I wouldn't fix their flat. I wouldn't even stop....Let them take responsibility and carry their own spare tube, pump and repair kit.
Earnest question: has anyone ever gone out of their way to help you with something? I'll bet the answer is "yes."

I've given away inner tubes to complete strangers, also CO2, and helped with the repairs. Once even did it for another rider in the middle of a gravel race -- guy had botched his first attempt and was out of inflation. Why pass up an opportunity to make a new friend and put a little positive Karma into the Universe?

PS: I'm STILL waiting for rydabent to show me an example of a bike with 36+ gears, which was something else he ranted about in another thread. Maybe he'll show it to us right after explaining how he knows how far this irresponsible cyclist had walked and was going to walk.

Last edited by Koyote; 08-21-22 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 09:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The cyclist in OPs post had a flat....The appropriate amount of preparedness for dealing with flats is to carry a spare tubes, pump, tire levers. and a multitool. If the cyclist in OPs post took responsibility and carried those items he wouldn't have to walk 10 miles.
I got a flat, pulled out my spare, and it too was flat. It's happened to others I ride with too. And sometimes patch kits dry out.

Even those who are prepared sometimes benefit from the kindness of strangers.
Old 08-21-22, 09:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
If you ride in the real world, needing to walk out is always a possibility, however remote. If karma exists, that smugness about being prepared will come back and bite you in the ass.

When you decide what to carry and what to leave, you're just changing the odds. One guy is happy carrying a cell phone, another with C02 and a tube, where another has a chain tool, quick-link, replacement cables, zip-ties, duct tape, dollar bill, seatpost bolt, spokes, tire, 2x tubes, and brake pads. Where you draw the line is a personal thing, and may very well be situational.

10 mile walking guy took his chances; that's his call.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-21-22, 10:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m sure rydabent fixed the flat. He’s turned too many wrenches over the years.

Plus, what better setting to lecture than one with a captive audience.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-21-22, 10:39 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Why does every internet story about expensive bikes say the bikes were $5000. Halo bikes are now 5 digits and you don’t need to work very hard to get 5k in a bike.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-21-22, 11:19 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I don't judge the cause of their misfortune. Easier that way to give 'em the Nelson Muntz laugh.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-22-22, 01:41 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Original weird flex aside, I've always found it odd how most bike retailers (especially the big box ones*) don't supply the bike with a spare tube, or upsell a maintenance bundle. It'd cost them almost nothing extra, but avoid problems like that. Lots of people don't know they'll need them until they do.

I mean, all cars come with either a spare wheel or a repair kit, so I don't see why it'd be so outrageous to do the same for a bike.
I do get that a lot of customers likely refuse, and with a race to the bottom on price it's hard to include a $1 tube and $2 pump.

*Because I assume anyone with a higher end bike will already have stuff, or be advised by the bike shop.
Old 08-22-22, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I didn't stop to help someone last weekend, but that was because something about the guy's demeanor seemed to be a bit off and I thought I might get mugged.
Old 08-22-22, 05:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Out for a ride today on the bike trails. I meet up with a guy walking his $5000 bike, at least that much. He has a flat tire. He has no tools no spare tubes or patch kit. He had already walked 5 miles, and had 5 to go.
Were there any flowers on the ride, or had they disappeared? I hope the girls didn't pick all of them.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-22-22, 05:29 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
You help others because karma.

However higher $ bikes can present a problem.

I witnessed a rider crash into a car. The motorist drove off and the cyclist was uninjured. Her handlebars twisted but it was a high-end carbon bike with star-shaped fasteners instead of the metric hex I carry. She didn’t have the star wrench either.

Proprietary or rare tool requirements on high-end bikes reduce the opportunity for a field fix.
Torx fasteners (the "star-shaped" ones) aren't proprietary or rare. They have been used for decades in other industries. The through axle removal tool on my bike has a 6mm hex for the axle, and the end is the proper Torx for all other fittings.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-22-22, 06:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
as long as he's out of the way, feel free to have any issue you want
Old 08-22-22, 06:46 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Was he complaining? He is still getting exercise, even more if it was an eBike.
Tim
Old 08-22-22, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
First .... "Hey, I see you have a flat---how much did you pay for the bike?"

Yeah ... okay. Sounds legit.

Second---how old was the bike? $5000 five years ago meant something a lot different than $5000 today.

Also .... "I spent all my money of this bike and can't afford a phone." Also, sounds actual ..... sure.

Third---maybe he preferred walking to carrying a bag of stuff?

When will Rydabent ever learn? He already has learned .... as much as he is going to, apparently.

So, Ryda .... would you have helped him if he had been pushing a 'bent?

Mr. Rydabent---I make fun of you because it is fun ... I clown with the clown. But seriously ... superior people, in my experience, don't demean others. it is only inferior people who are awake enough to realize their own inferiority, who think they can look better by denigrating someone else .... because they aren't quite awake enough to see that that just makes them worse.

And in answer to your question---Think about it. Quite possibly this had never happened to this person. And maybe this is that one time he will need to change his preparations. So you are saying, "Why aren't people born with all the knowledge they will ever acquire?"

It's like asking why people need to go to school to learn.

And it is a really dumb question.

Anyway .... bravo for being a richard and leaving him stranded.

I am not very smart but i sure do know that karma comes back on me when I act like a richard.

Say .... next time this happens, do everyone a favor---get the guy to sign up here. Fewer people would be giving you a hard time if the apocryphal "Guy with the $5000 bike" was here telling his side of the story.

It's funny .... I keep wanting a tadpole trike but I just don't feel safe being that low out where I ride ..... but I check on trikes now and then .... and spending $5000 for a good trike is easy. (CARBONTRIKES - Models) (https://www.catrike.com/700) (https://www.catrike.com/dumont)

Anyway .... I thank you for entertaining us .... and here is something else no one gives you credit for: This is not one of your usual six or so stock threads like, "Bikes cost too much," "DF bikes are stupid," "Aliens run the bike industry and are manipulating you to buy bad stuff" and such.

"Rydabent is a bad person" is a totally new one, I think.

(Much respect, and thanks for the humor. Ride on, and keep posting.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.