Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Found some rims in a shop. Says nobody wants sew-ups

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Found some rims in a shop. Says nobody wants sew-ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 07:30 PM
dswest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ SJX426 Got any Nisi Sludi 320s in there? I'm down one from a black cat almost crossing my path...it was bad luck for both of us.

Last edited by dswest; 08-28-22 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Add more
Old 08-31-22, 11:55 AM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...that's a pretty accurate statement where I live. If you actually have some tubular rimmed wheels and tyres, it is handy to have some spare rims to store your spare tyres on, while awaiting their turn in service. I find that when I construct wheels, I'm going in the direction of replacing a tubular rim set with a modern box section rim, on the same hubs.
Any recommendations for swapping out the tubular rims on my '73 Raleigh Competition. Anything specific to look for? New? Vintage? I'd like to reuse the campagnolo record hubs but have no experience with wheel building. TY.
Old 09-01-22, 06:53 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
Any recommendations for swapping out the tubular rims on my '73 Raleigh Competition. Anything specific to look for? New? Vintage? I'd like to reuse the campagnolo record hubs but have no experience with wheel building. TY.
How important are looks and the vintage aspect to you? There are new wheels available that resemble vintage wheels, so that is an option. You can also have a set built around the existing hubs. Shops will probably charge $50.00 per wheel for the build (plus or minus) and then the cost of spokes, rims, rim tape, and any other materials which are used.
Old 09-01-22, 10:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Those Record Du Monde are the 11 oz ones, the Medalle d' Or 9 oz. ones are the ones to avoid unless you're really a light-weight rider. They should be perfectly useable. If I were dead set on them, I'd pay as much as for a comtemporary rim, like $50 each, even though others probably wouldn't. Three or four bottles for the pair, I say.
Old 09-01-22, 06:17 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Originally Posted by caloso
FWIW, a lot of CX racers still favor sew-ups.
Why do they call them sew-ups?
Old 09-01-22, 07:06 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Because back in the old days there weren't tubulars so you put the tube inside the tire glued and sewed it up with heavy silk thread then glued it to the rime. This was the way a lot of race tires were done bike,, motorcycle, and race cars from the 1920's till the mid 80's. While it seems odd if done right it will give 10-20 % performance boost . So as said in un classed racing some racers still run sewup's or modern tubulars where the tire and tub are made as one piece.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-01-22 at 07:15 PM.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 09-02-22, 09:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
....you want a modern, box section rim, that looks appropriate, and that you can find for sale in the same drilling number as your hubs. Also, you want something relatively inexpensive (usually). I have used various rims according to availability (which varies). But you can usually find Sun M 13 ii rims for sale in either 32 or 36 hole versions for reasonable prices online. If you're going to get someone else to build your wheels, ask them before you order anything. They might have a preference or some sort of special deal going where they get a better price buying bulk.

Edit: If you look at the link, you'll see also the CR 18, that is a slightly wider and slightly heavier rim. Some people like those, because they want wider tires. Mavid makes and sells a lot of rims, but hthey cost much more, like the open pro and open elite models. Even Velo Orange sells box section rims that someone makes for them. If price is no object, look for one of the rims made by H plus Sons. Availability on all thee has been spotty since the big supply chain disruption from Covid.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 09-02-22 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-02-22, 10:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Tubular tyres (or sew-ups, as they were often called, due to their entirely encased design with the inner tube sewn inside the cylindrical tyre) were the only option for serious racing. They were lighter, faster and more comfortable than the alternatives. During road races riders had to carry a spare wrapped around their shoulders (in that familiar crossed manner) in case of a puncture, as fixing a flat was certainly not something to be undertaken at the roadside. It required a needle and thread plus a whole lot of patience and time to first pick away the stitching under the base tape, then pull out the tube and find and repair the hole, before finally sewing everything back up.
From: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1...lar-tyres-dead
Old 09-02-22, 03:14 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Thanks for the explainer!
Old 09-02-22, 03:21 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....you want a modern, box section rim, that looks appropriate, and that you can find for sale in the same drilling number as your hubs. Also, you want something relatively inexpensive (usually). I have used various rims according to availability (which varies). But you can usually find Sun M 13 ii rims for sale in either 32 or 36 hole versions for reasonable prices online. If you're going to get someone else to build your wheels, ask them before you order anything. They might have a preference or some sort of special deal going where they get a better price buying bulk.

Edit: If you look at the link, you'll see also the CR 18, that is a slightly wider and slightly heavier rim. Some people like those, because they want wider tires. Mavid makes and sells a lot of rims, but hthey cost much more, like the open pro and open elite models. Even Velo Orange sells box section rims that someone makes for them. If price is no object, look for one of the rims made by H plus Sons. Availability on all thee has been spotty since the big supply chain disruption from Covid.
Thanks, 3alermer! I was able to pick up an old Le Jeune mixte for $40 today that had some decent wheels on it. The frame and components were in pretty bad shape so I made a pit stop at the county recycling center on the way home to unload everything but the wheels. Wheels are 27 x 1 x 1/4 chrome steel DEA rims (similar to Rigida) paired with alloy Normandy hubs. At some point, I may invest in some new rims to use with the original campy hubs, but these will suffice for now.