Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji Team Issue (C7 Carbon) 2006 - looking to buy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 03:54 PM
shenlong1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys. I'm looking to get in to the world of road biking and I have found a bike I would like to make an offer on. It's a FUJI Carbon Fiber Team Issue Shimano Dura-Ace. Looks to be overall good condition. I just don't know what to offer or what this is worth? It's currently listed at $1050. All input is appreciated. Much thanks.

Specs are below:

Fuji Team issue C7 Carbon 700 Fiber Frame
Ritchey Carbon Seatpost
Ritchey Stem
Ritchey Handlebars
Shimano Dura-Ace STI Shifters
Shimano Dura-Ace Brakes
Shimano Dura-Ace Crank
Shimano Dura-Ace Bottom Bracket
Cane Creek Volos Wheels bladed spokes
Michelin Pro Grip Tires
Cane Creek Headset
Old 11-11-16, 04:03 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Sounds a little high for a 10 year old bike...
Old 11-11-16, 06:06 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Sounds a little high for a 10 year old bike...
What range would you offer on something like this?
Old 11-11-16, 06:48 PM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely call it high. Maybe 750 depending on condition but to me that may even be too high. It's a 10 year old bike of unknown history and miles. You can go to a performance bike and buy a 2016 fuji sl with better everything for 1600 right now on closeout.
Old 11-11-16, 06:52 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy_S
I'd definitely call it high. Maybe 750 depending on condition but to me that may even be too high. It's a 10 year old bike of unknown history and miles. You can go to a performance bike and buy a 2016 fuji sl with better everything for 1600 right now on closeout.
Thats very helpful. Thank you
Old 11-11-16, 07:01 PM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to put it into perspective man, my 2015 with full ultegra 11 speed and carbon everything and upgraded wheels probably wouldn't go for more than 1k. Used bikes aren't an appreciating asset. Blue book lists that bike ranging from 550 for fair condition to 900 for like new. Drive train technology has come a long way in 10 years and for not a lot more money you can get a lot more bike.
Old 11-11-16, 07:48 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Assuming everything is functional and in great shape, $700-$800 seems fair. The only way that bike goes for over $1k is if it's in showroom condition and even then I'm not sure I'd spend that much for a 10-year old bike.
Old 11-11-16, 08:07 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some photos of the bike. The tire color and color may not be my first choice, but condition seems good.

I will inspect closely when I see it in person.

Old 11-11-16, 08:12 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-11-16, 08:13 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't able to post the picture. Here is a link to the listing with pictures:

54 cm FUJI Carbon Fiber Team Issue Shimano Dura-Ace Bicycle
Old 11-11-16, 09:18 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need more information. Coming from someone riding a 12 year old bike with 50k miles or so on it, the bike blue book lists my bike maxed at $750 but I can tell you there is no way I would sell it for anything near that low. I have brand new pedals, seat, bat tape, casssette, bottom bracket, chain, crankset, and cables. The shifters have been regularly overhauled, the bearing in the wheels have been degreased and relubed regularly and the frame has no scratches, never been crashed, and looks brand new. The bike acts as brand new and really only gives up head tube stiffness and BB stiffness over a new frame from 2016.

So I would say I am an extreme case. Has the seller treated his bike like I have treated mine? Or has he put 100k on it riding it hard and putting it away wet? Or has it only been a garage ornament with a couple K worth of miles on it?
Old 11-11-16, 09:50 PM
shenlong1337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the actual listing:

54 cm FUJI Carbon Fiber Team Issue Shimano Dura-Ace Bicycle
Old 11-12-16, 11:29 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shenlong1337
Hi guys. I'm looking to get in to the world of road biking and I have found a bike I would like to make an offer on. It's a FUJI Carbon Fiber Team Issue Shimano Dura-Ace. Looks to be overall good condition. I just don't know what to offer or what this is worth? It's currently listed at $1050. All input is appreciated. Much thanks. ...
Hi shenlong1337,

I've been riding Fuji road bikes for many years. I still have my vintage 1985 Fuji with a quad-butted steel frame. Today I ride a 2008 Team Fuji (similar model to the one you are considering but two years newer).

The Team Fuji used to be Fuji's top-of-the-line general-purpose road racing bike but it was discontinued several years ago. It started with a steel frame in the 1980's, then switched to aluminum alloy, then switched to composite carbon. The switch to composite happened about 2005 or 2006 so the bike you are considering has a very early Fuji "carbon" frame. The composite frame was offered in four different versions in 2006:

Team .. (frame: C-4 carbon with custom-weave carbon strands)
Team Pro .. (frame: C-4 carbon stays with shaped ride tuned energy transfer chainstay)
Team Issue .. (frame: high-modulus C-7 carbon with 12K custom-weave carbon strands)
Team RC .. (frame: high-modulus C-7 carbon with 12K custom-weave carbon strands)

The standard "Team" was the least expensive, followed by the "Team Pro". The top version was the "Team Issue" and "Team RC". What separated them from the lower Team and Team Pro models was a more advanced carbon layup that attempted to blend a greater variety of fibers to achieve a better combination of stiffness and flexibility and lighter weight.

So the "Team Issue" version of the Team Fuji bike was one of the most expensive versions and it was intended primarily for racing. If you compare a 2006 "Team Issue" Fuji frame to a standard 2006 Team Fuji frame, they will look nearly identical (except for the color and minor decal differences) but there will be a big difference in the price. And, of course, there would be a big difference in the drivetrain offered. The $3,500 price that the buyer listed sounds realistic---without any discount. However, the $6,000 figure that he/she lists is crazy high and should be disregarded. For comparison, a 2006 Team Pro Fuji frame with a combination Ultegra plus Dura-Ace drivetrain would have listed for about $2,600. And a 2006 standard Team Fuji frame with a 105 drivetrain would have listed for around $2,000.

As for the asking price of $1,050 for a Team Issue Fuji today---it is high. Only a collector or buyer with sentimental attachment would pay that much. For one thing, composite frame design and top-quality road bike groupsets have improved tremendously since 2006. A new composite frame from a trusted manufacturer with a current Shimano Ultegra or SRAM Force drivetrain will offer much better performance. Plus, the Team Issue version of the frame may be more fragile than the standard Team and Team Pro Fujis owing to the desire to shave more weight.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a composite-frame Fuji this old regardless of its condition. I draw the line at 2008 for Fuji composite frames which is why I have a 2008 Team Fuji. But, if I was to buy the 2006 Team Issue Fuji, I probably wouldn't go any higher than $650. The old drivetrain would hold no value to me and I would plan to replace it with a newer drivetrain. I would check prices for the 7800 Dura-Ace on eBay to see what its separate components are being sold for and I'd plan to sell the old parts piece-meal on eBay to help pay for a new drivetrain.

My 2008 Team Fuji came with a 2x10-speed SRAM Force drivetrain (the very first version---SRAM introduced the Force groupset that year) and I liked it much better than the Shimano Ultegra equivalent---but that's just my personal preference. I prefer the composite cranks, quality and method of shifting and lower weight of the SRAM system.

I've been converting my bike to a SRAM Red eTap 1x drivetrain because I found that I never used the small chainring and I want secondary shifters on my aerobars. I'm part-way through the conversion now. So far I have removed the front derailleur and replaced the original Force crankset with a SRAM Red 22 crankset. I removed the two Red chainrings from the new crankset and replaced them with a single 50t SRAM X-Sync 1x chainring. I replaced the non-drive-side crank arm with a Stages power meter on a composite Stages crank arm. So far, I've ridden 4,737 miles on this setup this year over mostly rolling hills, including multiple 100-mile centuries.

Next year I plan to finish the drivetrain upgrade by replacing the rear derailleur with a SRAM Red eTap with a medium cage and an 11-32t 11-speed cassette. I'll also have to change the shifters. And I'll add blips to my aerobars so I can shift from them as well as the handlebars. The nice thing about the eTap rear derailleur is that it is the control center for the entire system and you can use it without a front derailleur.

My next upgrade will probably be the wheels. After that, I may switch to a Fuji Transonic frame. That's the "problem" with being a bike mechanic---you typically upgrade your bikes in piece-meal fashion. :-)

So think carefully about your long-term plans for the bike. And, if you are not a collector or don't have a sentimental attachment to an early Team Issue, then don't pay so much---it isn't worth it.

Kind regards, RoadLight
Old 09-17-22, 09:10 PM
Aboudj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you end up buying this

I'm actually looking for a 2006 fuji team issue size 54
Old 09-18-22, 04:35 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Aboudj
I'm actually looking for a 2006 fuji team issue size 54
Six year old thread started by a new member who made seven posts in one day then never came back. Unlikely you will receive an answer.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris: